Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crafting system is utterly boring. Here's my suggestion.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crafting system is utterly boring. Here's my suggestion.

Pungsvett
12.21.2011 , 05:37 PM | #1
The crafting system in this game is really boring. You make an item and there is a chance you'll make a better or normal version of it.. Not very interesting.

Why can't the devs re-make it and consider a modular approach to it?
Let me explain.

We'll take a heavy armour as an example.

First of a crafter would start with an exo-chassis there would be something like 5 or 10 different types. Or a number in between This is what you would mount your components too. It would carry the base stats and base shape of the vest.

Imagine if it was built up of these components which also would between 5 and 10 different models of each type, they would function as modifiers of the base stats and carry module slots for possible upgrades, they would also determine the looks of the shoulder pads etc.

Powercore/Jetpack
Chest plate
Abdomen plate
Shoulder pads
Liner

A crafter would go on and make those five separate parts and assemble into a heavy armour piece. Each piece would come in 5, 10 or 15 different variations, with different stats and different slots and different looks for enhancement/upgrades. The crafting skill would be the decider of how many functional upgrade slots a finished product would have.

This would make crafting interesting and fun to engage in. just imagine the possibilities.
Lets say the developers opt for 5 diffrent parts of each type.

5x5x5x5x5x5=15625 diffrent variations of a crafted armour. This might be too high, some of you think, but i mean if it gets implemented they can choose any number of parts.

Telos
12.21.2011 , 05:39 PM | #2
i agree.

and i laugh at people who think TOR's crafing system is innovative, just because the players aren't the ones doing the actual crafting.
SOONERS

Obbu
12.21.2011 , 05:43 PM | #3
Just because the crafting system isn't mired in minutiae doesn't mean that it lacks diversity, or innovation.

HUTCHINSONOOO
12.21.2011 , 05:44 PM | #4
It would increase diversity but would cost a lot of billable dev hours. It would be a lot of work.

Also, you shouldn't laugh at people. That makes you look bad.
ƣ∏▓∏∏▓∏◙∏▓ઓ!███████████████████████████████████████)

Pungsvett
12.21.2011 , 05:44 PM | #5
It's just boring and is lacking in options. There is not much to explore when it comes to crafting.

Silvermink
12.21.2011 , 05:45 PM | #6
If you think SW:Tor's crafting is simplistic, you haven't tried Reverse Engineering items. Also, you can buy mod items with up to 4 slots in it and make your own armor. Many of the mods are also crafted. They don't effect the visual look though.

Pungsvett
12.21.2011 , 05:48 PM | #7
What about reverse engineering? You press a button and wait 4 seconds for a virtual dice roll... That ain't interesting. It's just a time sink that involves no actual thinking.

Repefe
12.21.2011 , 06:09 PM | #8
So basically you want gear to have 10 mods instead of 3 and want armortech to create them instead of cybertech. That's revolutionary.
Killer: 53%, Socializer: 53%, Achiever: 47%, Explorer: 47%

ColonelKer-Nal
12.21.2011 , 06:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Pungsvett View Post
It's just boring and is lacking in options. There is not much to explore when it comes to crafting.
Look, the whole game is on rails and designed with an excess of simplicity. Much like the game it is cloned from.

And you want more depth? This is not the game you're looking for.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
~Robert A. Heinlein

malfunctionx
12.21.2011 , 06:29 PM | #10
so basically... you want a system, where you get a blank item. then add bits to the blank item to generate the armor, stats and bonuses.

now where have i seen that before... sure it came in one of those new fangled MMOs...

oh yes. SWTOR and its orange gear.

your idea is so good, Bioware already added it!