Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The 5 stages of grief

Oneirophrenia
09.25.2013 , 04:46 PM | #1
It has been almost 20 hours since I started the patching process last night and it is finally nearing completion (or so I hope) at 97%. So, I thought I'd share my experience through out this ordeal.

Denial - Came home from work last night and logged in, saw the new patch notes in the launcher window as it started crunching my HDD for the "reorganizing data" process. I thought to myself... this can't possibly be a repeat of last week's 2.3.3 patch right? I mean, from the patches notes this was just a relatively small update so the reorganizing part has to be as bad as it gets. I kept telling myself.... don't worry, it won't take that long.

Anger - After an hour of reorganizing data, the download and installation process began at an excruciatingly slow pace. Ran some internet speed tests with the client shut down to make sure that it isn't a connection issue on my end. My temper started to flare up as the BitRaider client is obviously not working as intended, again. Disdainful at the sheer incompetence of the BW development staff, I hopped onto this forums and made a few complaints posts.

Bargaining - Later in the evening, finally realizing that the CS agents don't really have any concrete answers for us, I decided to change my tune. Instead I started to make a few posts pleading them to remove the BitRaider client entirely as it is far more trouble than it is worth. This was a relatively short stage for me as it was getting rather late.

Depression - After a final look at the launcher client and seeing 40-something percent completion, I turned off the monitor and went to bed on a down note, not having much faith that this will be fixed by the time I wake up. There goes off-day.

Acceptance - I haven't technically reach this stage yet but here is how it will go. If this patch completes itself and goes back into the reinstall loop (as some other users have reported), I will finally accept the fact that BW is simply incapable of running a MMO and cancel my subscription.

I guess we will find out how this tragic event will conclude itself within the next hour.

Casivek
09.25.2013 , 04:49 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Oneirophrenia View Post
It has been almost 20 hours since I started the patching process last night and it is finally nearing completion (or so I hope) at 97%. So, I thought I'd share my experience through out this ordeal.

Denial - Came home from work last night and logged in, saw the new patch notes in the launcher window as it started crunching my HDD for the "reorganizing data" process. I thought to myself... this can't possibly be a repeat of last week's 2.3.3 patch right? I mean, from the patches notes this was just a relatively small update so the reorganizing part has to be as bad as it gets. I kept telling myself.... don't worry, it won't take that long.

Anger - After an hour of reorganizing data, the download and installation process began at an excruciatingly slow pace. My temper started to flare up as the BitRaider client is obviously not working as intended, again. Disdainful at the sheer incompetence of the BW development staff, I hopped onto this forums and made a few complaints posts.

Bargaining - Later in the evening, finally realizing that the CS agents don't really have any concrete answers for us, I decided to change my tune. Instead I started to make a few posts pleading them to remove the BitRaider client entirely as it is far more trouble than it is worth. This was a relatively short stage for me as it was getting rather late.

Depression - After a final look at the launcher client and seeing 40-something percent completion, I turned off the monitor and went to bed on a down note, not having much faith that this will be fixed by the time I wake up. There goes off-day.

Acceptance - I haven't technically reach this stage yet but here is how it will go. If this patch completes itself and goes back into the reinstall loop (as some other users have reported), I will finally accept the fact that BW is simply incapable of running a MMO and cancel my subscription.

I guess we will find out how this tragic event will conclude itself within the next hour.
+1 as I am sure this is the entirety of how the paying player base feels right now.

AveryLuna
09.25.2013 , 05:50 PM | #3
+2 If you can't make a game right, you're not worth any more money to me.

fdagagdavaer
09.25.2013 , 06:48 PM | #4
+3. Into second month of sub, and every patch has been a f@#&ing nightmare.

Oneirophrenia
09.25.2013 , 09:44 PM | #5
Well, 21 hours later the game finally managed to finish updating without any further issues. I suppose I will have to reword the acceptance stage now.

Acceptance - I have finally come to terms with the fact that I can play this game now.... until it breaks again during the next patch. Who knows, maybe the launcher will accidentally reformat my HDD next time. Kind of sad that's the most confidence I can muster for a product that I paid for but it is what it is.