Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Downloading today's update is taking FOREVER

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Downloading today's update is taking FOREVER

octagramt
09.24.2013 , 09:51 PM | #1
I have a 15+ MB internet connection and everything else is fine, so yes, the fault is with SWTOR.

or perhaps, there should be some type of dialog that shows how large the update is and the approximate time it will take to download it.

Oh, and one request: please drop BitRaider and whatever is associated with it. Ever since it was implemented, it takes forever to log-in, which equals me logging in less frequently (as you can see from your logs), which equals me playing less frequently, which equals an increased likely hood of not just simply unsubbing, but leaving completely, as what's the point of playing a F2P game that you can't even easily start up?
In my world of enemies I walk alone

KattaNineTails
09.24.2013 , 10:53 PM | #2
I just hit the 12 hour mark trying to download the update. I am at 73.9%. I just started playing the game this week and set up the account on an automatic pay per month basis. The time it is taking for the download is unacceptable. Luckily I play several other games and am not "hooked" on SWTOR. The chances of me cancelling the account due to the technical issues are very high. Heh, I could always save the money or put it towards a different game anyway. One this is for sure - I am not going to pay to spend days downloading instead of playing.

OwenBrooks
09.25.2013 , 01:32 AM | #3
There is a way to remove BitRaider but it will mean a re-download "cough"

close launcher, open launcher.settings file in notepad and change the below and save and start the launcher

"PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\"
Change BR to SSN
"PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\"
and
, "bitraider_disable": false
to
, "bitraider_disable": true

edit - seems this may also be needed for some
, "bitraider_download_complete": { }

Soulles_Void
09.25.2013 , 01:34 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
There is a way to remove BitRaider but it will mean a re-download "cough"

close launcher, open launcher.settings file in notepad and change the below and save and start the launcher

"PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\"
Change BR to SSN
"PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\"
and
, "bitraider_disable": false
to
, "bitraider_disable": true
The problem with this, is some of us have now spent the entire day patching, and don't want to risk spending another entire day downloading the game again
Yes, I realise I'm missing an "s" in my name. Drinking and account creation don't go too well together.

OwenBrooks
09.25.2013 , 05:19 AM | #5
OP was asking for BitRaider to be dropped, post was just to let Op know it is possible.

St_a_rk
09.25.2013 , 05:34 AM | #6
I thought we got messages about impending updates but I don't recall getting one.

I tried to log in at 8am....It is now 9.25PM and the update has only just reached 69%

13+ hours and still a third of the update to complete so no gaming for me today

If this is something that happens frequently I will be looking for something else to spend my time on

OwenBrooks
09.25.2013 , 05:38 AM | #7
The patch for me was 30 seconds in total , and that is what it was meant to be for others but that unfortunately turned out not to be the case for those using the streaming launcher.

I am lucky to date I have had no patch issues yet "touch wood"

GeminiRocks
09.25.2013 , 09:30 PM | #8
I completely agree. I started the download, it was taking hours and after research i switched to the "hotfix" to turn off TS, and now it's been downloading for 14 hours (at my max rate though fortunately instead of analysing or whatever it was doing before forever then downloading at a 10th my speed). I'm a new player who's just hit level 15 or so, and i've spent some cash on the cartel... i spent one day/night originally downloading... i didn't expect to have to do it again each patch. I am seriously considering unsubscribing myself and spending my time elsewhere if this is the expectation being set for patch downloads. /endofrant

LadyAmanita
09.25.2013 , 10:10 PM | #9
Glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem. I went to log in last night, and it spent 5 hours downloading before I finally went to bed. This afternoon, another four or so. And now it's finishing up its last little bit. Still waiting to see if I can actually get into the game after the download finishes.

I work nights, four nights a week. That leaves only three nights a week to play, and I wasted all of one last night, wasting part of another tonight.
I'm extremely disappointed that these patches have been such a hassle ever since I came back to the game.

NicoVi
09.25.2013 , 10:22 PM | #10
downloading for 24 hours now, spend the first 9 hours tor the patch to get up to 48%. switched to the bypass and been downloading ever since. that is my account. my sons account I uninstalled and start a re download, he at least can play a home planet new character. AND both is subscription accounts, hoping to get some damn refund or compensation for loosing 2 days of play time?????