Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are snipers so ridiculously powerful?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why are snipers so ridiculously powerful?

benovide
10.08.2013 , 03:09 AM | #41
Fighting Snipers/gunslingers maxed out on marksmanship/sharpshooter, try and use terrain as best as you can. Once you're up close the SOB is DOA, but before that point, you're screwed. As a Powertech, Merc, Jugg, Sorc, Van, Com, overall, this is a problem to deal with.

That said, don't engage a ranged based fighting class at range, same reason why you don't fight a close-range fighting class at close range. Unless you're the exact same class.

Each class role has a different capability/strength based on the range to the target. Don't fight in the ranges that target is best in, unless again, you're the same fighting styled class.

Same reason why if you're a DPS class, you never try to out tank a tank class. And why if you're a tank, not try to out DPS the DPSer.

You will lose that fight.

Confusionlure
10.09.2013 , 06:03 AM | #42
They can be beaten. In my experience, I have no trouble with snipers 1v1. I can out dps them with my shadow and my guadian has that handy saber reflect for their initial attacks before I get up to them. They do good dps but they can be crushed just like any other class if you know what you are doing.

Kaedusz
10.10.2013 , 11:13 AM | #43
This may seem strange but Snipers and Gunslingers are one of my favorite classes to fight with my Carnage Marauder main.The victory usually depends on skill,which is pretty entertaining.Marksman and Sharpshooter are the easiest.
If you get caught too much out of position to reach them in time,before they take too much of your hp,just los them.

Vember
10.10.2013 , 03:24 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Confusionlure View Post
They can be beaten. In my experience, I have no trouble with snipers 1v1. I can out dps them with my shadow and my guadian has that handy saber reflect for their initial attacks before I get up to them. They do good dps but they can be crushed just like any other class if you know what you are doing.
I can sometimes beat them on my darkness shadow, but my experience with juggernaut is quite the opposite. Once i get close they kb me, and i'm across the room and rooted. I can use saber reflect here, but it's used up by the time root wears off, so now i'm trying to get back to them, only to get there and get kicked in the jibblies and stunned. If i'm not dead by then, I usually am before the stun wears off, unless my stunbreaker is up, but by that point I'm sitting at sub 30% health or so and they are still at 100%. A good sniper won't entrench until you've made your second pass at them, which at that point neutralizes force choke and force push.

midianlord
10.11.2013 , 03:36 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Caelrie View Post
Every player defending an overpowered class on a message board says exactly that same thing, almost word for word. Doesn't matter which game.

My class isn't overpowered! I'm just better at the game than everybody else!
I never said that, either.

Believe me, I am not even close to the best PvP fighter you're ever going to meet.

Snipingers are not overpowered, and never have been.

It's the brain-power of most of this community that is under-powered. Quite grossly so, I might add.

Next!
Guys/Gals, could you please start queuing for real Flashpoints again?

r/DPS 4 life

Spoiler

DarthEshla
11.02.2013 , 07:32 PM | #46
I think the counter class to the sniper is a steather. I play a shadow and drive snipers nuts.

Ottoattack
11.06.2013 , 05:44 PM | #47
If the battle is starting at 35 meters melee classes will lose. But when do the ever do? In my experience, you can get in 10-15 meters from the snipers before they even fire a shot, and that's while they are defending node solo. Once you burst throw ballistic dampers snipers and probe, you can burn through sniper easily.

None of the top dueling specs are snipers. With AP PT, I can burn down most snipers solo, if my DCDs and offensive CDs are available. Yes, if the battle starts at 35 meters I will lose, but they never do. The idea is you want to use terrain to your advantage. Example, sniper defending east/west node in NC solo. If you walk down in the middle, they can attack from full range. However, if you come from the side entrance in the walled area, you are probably within 10-15 meters of the sniper. In a battle where both you and sniper are constantly in each other range, most melee classes will win. Having said so, snipers should win against warriors. Against sins, ops or PTs, I doubt it. Madness sorc will defiantly win, LOS fo!

Grue_Hunter
11.09.2013 , 05:54 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Idk what you talking about.. A medicine Operative beat me 1 on 1 last night in a warzone

Took around 10 minutes though.
That was probably me.

Royox
11.15.2013 , 06:29 AM | #49
I love when I learn the attack pattern of a sniper and using Saber Deflect at the right moment so they kill themselves with their "snipe+unload" combo.
WATCH MY NEW SWTOR VIDEO!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXm_lHPMA4Y

Mazikeen
11.15.2013 , 07:14 AM | #50
Play alts. Play as many classes as you can. Learn their strengths, weaknesses and mechanics. I do this in every MMO I play, PvP or PvE, and it pays off.
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds