Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are snipers so ridiculously powerful?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why are snipers so ridiculously powerful?

starwarsfansix
09.22.2013 , 04:08 AM | #11
Saber reflect will be kinda hard to do with a blaster rifle but that's just my opinion.

NogueiraA
09.23.2013 , 03:01 AM | #12
Sniper/slinger is the ONLY class since release who never got a nerf.
People complain about marauders on pvp, but if you look at sniper defensive cooldowns, marauder is a poor kid.
English is my 3rd language, sorry for mistakes.
Beta tester, Shadowlands - 16 lvl55 toons.

CommanderKeeva
09.23.2013 , 09:29 AM | #13
Snipers essentially combine the best aspects of Sages and Commandos, they have the strengths of both, but the weaknesses of neither. For being a turret class, Snipers are fast. They easily outrun Commandos and even Sages if they take the mobility enhancement talents in Marksmanship. For a heavy caster class, they cannot be interrupted. Both Sorcerers and Mercenaries are susceptible to interrupts, whereas Snipers aren't. The only way to interrupt a Sniper is to affect him physically (push, pull) or stun or mezz him. These attacks, however, have very long cooldowns. Though they lack self-healing, Snipers have some of the best defensive cooldowns, including an AoE one. When set up properly (e.g. node defense), their stealth enhancer can even counter stealthers if they don't use their stealth booster.

Snipers can effectively counter every class, including itself. Ironically, the best defense against a Sniper is another Sniper because the only real way to make them vulnerable comes from Diversion, a Sniper skill that makes them unable to take cover. Without cover, they're ripped apart easily. (Some warzones I've been in had so many Snipers that it reminded me of Stalingrad.)

Due to the Sniper's lack of self-cleanse and self-heals, any DoT class that uses the terrain and LoS smartly (e.g. Balance/Madness Sage/Sorc or Assault/Pyro Merc/'Mando) can whittle Snipers down with bug bites 1v1. Due to the Sniper's defensive cooldowns and nature of DoTs, this takes long. Therefore DoTs are the most effective in 1v1 duels, if the Sniper has a healer to heal/cleanse him, this time-consuming DoT tactic becomes ineffectual.

Stealthers used to be the hard counters to Snipers and they can be still effective if they manage to catch him unaware. With proper positioning (back against the wall), however, and their overtime passive stealth detection, even the best stealthers might have trouble sneaking up on Snipers if they don't specifically use stealth boosting cooldowns. There's no real hard counter to Snipers anymore aside from a horde of Rage Warriors simultaneously Smashing him.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

x-Resurgence-x
09.27.2013 , 08:50 AM | #14
I don't get what you mean. I am a Sith Marauder level 55. Snipers run from me until they die in WZ. Snipers are strong, but you gotta analyze their weaknesses.

midianlord
09.28.2013 , 12:47 PM | #15
Except that we aren't.

We can, in fact, very easily be destroyed 1v1 if our opponent knows what the f they're doing, and knows even a little about the mechanics of our class, and knows which animations to watch for and when they end.

Learn to play, and stop crying "GIEF NUFF NAO!!11!!" just because you don't know how to deal with us.

E:

*********** Christ, you people infuriate the living **** out of me.

"The only class never to receive a nerf?" How about the fact that we're an essentially immobile glass cannon in exchange? And that we're the only ranged glass-cannon in this game that is actually designed correctly in light of Stun-and-Smash Wars(TM)?

Ask any Merc/Mando how *********** marvellous being nerfed constantly in that context with a class that isn't properly designed for it to begin with can be!

Troll/rant-thread, lacks content. Mods, please lock.
Guys/Gals, could you please start queuing for real Flashpoints again?

r/DPS 4 life

Spoiler

Abbyssion
09.28.2013 , 05:07 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by midianlord View Post
Snip .
Someone sounds butt hurt, might want to get that checked out.
To say they are the only well designed turret class in comparison to the commando is silly because a well designed class will have a set pro's and cons that one can abuse to beat them.

The biggest con for a sniper is the fact that they can be LOS'ed well so can the other turret classes so whoopdy doo.

Every flaw a turret class is supposed to have to give melee a chance to combat them snipers have a counter to. Stealth? get more stealth detection the longer your in cover. Interrupts? ....Commando's cry snipers don't know they exist for the most part. roots to stop them from running? roll cleanses that. Dots? marksman get health back overtime in cover and snipers also have a dot tree that is probably the best dot tree in the game.

Their one or two flaws can barely be abused to beat them, that is great class design bro.

starwarsfansix
09.28.2013 , 11:56 PM | #17
Ok, midian, point me the exact sentence where any of us wanted a nerf to snipers. Come on, I dare you. Snipers biggest advantage IMO is that you can't be interrupted. Because if you could, you would cry how easily you are being shut down.

midianlord
09.29.2013 , 12:20 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by starwarsfansix View Post
Ok, midian, point me the exact sentence where any of us wanted a nerf to snipers. Come on, I dare you. Snipers biggest advantage IMO is that you can't be interrupted. Because if you could, you would cry how easily you are being shut down.
It's so bloody obvious, give me a break already.

"Snipers are the only class never to have received a nerf." <---What do you think that that is implying? I mean, really!
Guys/Gals, could you please start queuing for real Flashpoints again?

r/DPS 4 life

Spoiler

DainjaMouz
09.29.2013 , 12:41 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKeeva View Post
Due to the Sniper's lack of self-cleanse and self-heals, any DoT class that uses the terrain and LoS smartly (e.g. Balance/Madness Sage/Sorc or Assault/Pyro Merc/'Mando) can whittle Snipers down with bug bites 1v1. Due to the Sniper's defensive cooldowns and nature of DoTs, this takes long. Therefore DoTs are the most effective in 1v1 duels, if the Sniper has a healer to heal/cleanse him, this time-consuming DoT tactic becomes ineffectual.

Stealthers used to be the hard counters to Snipers and they can be still effective if they manage to catch him unaware. With proper positioning (back against the wall), however, and their overtime passive stealth detection, even the best stealthers might have trouble sneaking up on Snipers if they don't specifically use stealth boosting cooldowns. There's no real hard counter to Snipers anymore aside from a horde of Rage Warriors simultaneously Smashing him.
Great summary! As my primary char is sniper, I can say that if I'm positioned effectively in PvP and working with Melee/Tanks that know the value of keeping me in cover, I can DPS all the live-long day. However, if you can knock a sniper out of cover, he's quickly headed to the locker room. Stealth, LoS tactics, watching for Entrench to drop, are all great options.

One tradeoff that's not obvious is that snipes have to work a lot harder to medal and/or loot. While you'll often see snipers at or near the top of the PvP scoreboard for Damage, objective points and high medal count are generally a lost cause--you can't take a turret because you've got limited mobility and minimal defensive casts while on the move. Same in Heroics and End Game PvE--you're not going to be accumulating credits looting, as you're always the last to the kill. Probably an insufficient tradeoff for someone dealing with sniper pew pew, but it's something.
The PvP Fringe @ Jedi Covenant
Ashes of Ashla Andrrikan - lvl 55 MM | Ultetharu - lvl 14 Merc
Dainjamous - lvl 36 Sentinel
"Less frou frou, more pew pew!"

DarkSaberMaster
09.29.2013 , 12:45 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by midianlord View Post
It's so bloody obvious, give me a break already.

"Snipers are the only class never to have received a nerf." <---What do you think that that is implying? I mean, really!
But......it's true. We haven't received any nerfs. Defend the class all you like, but that is a fact. And no. I don't want my class nerfed. But I don't need to lie about how powerful we are either. As a previous poster said, we have a counter to every class in this game. People complain about Marauders/Sentinels. I play both as my mains and my Sniper, no matter which spec (I main Engineering) outpaces my Sentinel by a mile.

I've played Sniper for a year now and as I asked before when I first started, why would anybody play any other ranged class over a Sniper/Gunslinger? This class is the best ranged class in the game. I would go so far as to say it is THE best class overall in the game.
Daegeo: (Balance Shadow)
D'aege: (Engineering Sniper)
The Harbinger "Rangers Lead the Way"
Referral link for free stuff