Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Play multiple accounts on one computer?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Play multiple accounts on one computer?

DarkOddity
12.21.2011 , 04:59 PM | #1
Hello,

I bought two copies of the game thinking I could run multiple accounts on the same computer. Unfortunately the game will not allow me to run multiple accounts and simply offers to let me close the other game when I try to launch it.

Now, I only have one computer but I do have two monitors and I'd love to be able to use both clients on my computer at once.

What I need to know is if anyone has figured out a way to run multiple clients (with different accounts) on the same computer without third party software.

I've done this same thing in other games such as EVE Online (5 accounts simultaneously) and World of Warcraft where I had my account and my girlfriends running on the computer at the same time.

Now it just seems silly to me to be unable to launch a second client and use a different account. If I can't do this; then Bioware loses out on an extra $15/mo I was planning on paying them.

Please do not offer third party software as a fix as I have no interest in using it.

Segador
12.21.2011 , 05:01 PM | #2
This is my second account. To prove that I not only have two accounts with copies of the game, but am actively subscribed to both.

JinjaFett
12.21.2011 , 05:09 PM | #3
I am not so sure how you were going to control each account with only one mouse and keyboard?

But I do have a suggestion you may try... Google something called VMware or virtual box.

This software would let you run two independent operating systems and you may be able to run an instance of swtor on each? But I highly doubt a single computer would be able to run two OS and two independent versions of the game all at once... Even if you could manage to control two players at the same time.

Segador
12.21.2011 , 05:20 PM | #4
Using a Virtual Machine won't work for SWTOR. I have yet to find one that can fully utilize the graphics acceleration hardware of the host machine which unfortunately rules that out as an option.

As far as playing both characters at once is concerned it's not something I will be able to do effectively in combat because of the way the game works, but I'll still have fun with it.

Bioware shouldn't stop me from giving them more money to increase my fun factor. lol.

renegadeimp
12.21.2011 , 05:22 PM | #5
The game is coded atm to only allow one instance of the client to run per machine.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Segador
12.21.2011 , 05:29 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
The game is coded atm to only allow one instance of the client to run per machine.
Yeah that's what I've found in my research as well.

I guess my main goal here is to not only find out if anyone has a work-around, but also bring it to the attention of Bioware that there are people out there that are interested in running multiple accounts and paying for them. This is a business for them, after all.

Yaksha
12.21.2011 , 05:31 PM | #7
There should be a way, I don't know off the top of my head, but multi clienting is very common in MMOs and I doubt this is the firs tMMO that's restricted its client as such.

Have you tried things like logging into multiple windows accounts and trying to run a copy with a different account (Run as)? etc.

renegadeimp
12.21.2011 , 05:33 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Yaksha View Post
There should be a way, I don't know off the top of my head, but multi clienting is very common in MMOs and I doubt this is the firs tMMO that's restricted its client as such.

Have you tried things like logging into multiple windows accounts and trying to run a copy with a different account (Run as)? etc.
It's hardcoded into the client atm. The devs probably don;t want people multiboxing yet, so they can get an estimate of actual players, and not just accounts.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Segador
12.21.2011 , 05:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Yaksha View Post
I haven't done this yet no... Though I used to do this with Freelancer back in the day for multi-CD Key purposes. Can't believe I didn't think to try it. Will definitely do so when I get home from work.

---

As far as keeping track of actual players, that's understandable-ish... but I still want to be able to play my second account on my computer. I just wish I had known in advance that I can't use two at once.

PellonSW
12.21.2011 , 05:38 PM | #10
Launchers from Turbine (like DDO/Lotro) has similar restrictions but multi-client can be done by installing each game on 2 separate drives and then creating a bat file to launch both clients simultaneously. Give that a try if you havent already.