Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Record of the Dread Masters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ron_harmeling
09.13.2013 , 06:13 PM | #21
BioWare,

Make this set available in Cartel Market, at least the robes. It looks awesome on a Sorcerer

Quickglue
09.13.2013 , 07:55 PM | #22
Love it

Pathlight-
09.13.2013 , 08:32 PM | #23
Great article. Keep up the good work BW.

plotenox
09.13.2013 , 08:54 PM | #24
Interesting,even though I haven't played any of the Operations yet the 1 thing that caught my attention was that the Dread Masters had an influence on Karagga the hutt. I did not know that at all.

Quote: Originally Posted by ron_harmeling View Post
BioWare,

Make this set available in Cartel Market, at least the robes. It looks awesome on a Sorcerer
If you mean the Dread Masters gears then yeah it would be very nice if they brought them back. I remember they were available as Battlemaster PVP gears.
Digital Deluxe Edition
Sith Inquisitor:Riper Server:The Razor Trooper:Plaxon Server:The Harbinger

AshlaBoga
09.13.2013 , 09:30 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by plotenox View Post
Interesting,even though I haven't played any of the Operations yet the 1 thing that caught my attention was that the Dread Masters had an influence on Karagga the hutt. I did not know that at all.

If you mean the Dread Masters gears then yeah it would be very nice if they brought them back. I remember they were available as Battlemaster PVP gears.
Yeah, if you wear the Volate/Muse headgear on a Sorc/Assassin you can look exactly like the pre-1.3 Dread Masters. With the Corrupted Dread Guard Mask you sort of look like the post-1.3 Dread Masters.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

HKtheindomitable
09.13.2013 , 09:40 PM | #26
Statement: Best lore since the Timeline videos.

Request: Requesting elaboration and more information now.

Request: I do need some clarification on one part however.

Query: Where it says "Forces from the Dread Host were deployed to Belsavis, where they attempted to retrieve ancient Rakata weapons that had been hidden there.", is that referring to Eternity Vault, or Section X?

Theory: I assume it's referring to Section X as there are Dread Forces there that both sides have to deal with and that Eternity Vault was something unrelated to the Dread Masters.
PAX REPUBLICA
Casual PVP&PVE
Ebon Hawk | Captain |International Guild

AshlaBoga
09.13.2013 , 10:37 PM | #27
Message intercepted by my agent in the Jedi Order, codename "Hummer."

*Emphasis is my own
Quote:

TRANSMISSION LOG 237890223409098184
ORIGIN: Master Gnost-Dural, Keeper of the Jedi Archives, Tython
RECIPIENT: Master Ogan-Dei, Chief Advisor, Strike Team Oricon
My old friend,

I have gathered the information you requested from the archives, though our records regarding the Dread Masters are far from complete. In particular, our knowledge of their origins is disappointingly vague, based mostly on hearsay and fragments recovered from Imperial historical logs.

Firstly, our records confirm that the Dread Masters are human, despite many rumors to the contrary. Biological scans conducted after their capture by Master Kaedan confirmed this, though their lifespans have extended well beyond the norm for that species. We do not know the extent of their longevity, nor the world (or worlds) they came from. We don’t even know their true names.

The Dread Masters’ goals are similarly mysterious. We know that they are no longer affiliated with the Sith Empire, despite the fact that Imperial forces are responsible for rescuing them from our prison facilities on Belsavis. That they would betray the Empire they’ve served for so many years is unexpected, but not necessarily unexplainable. (I can elaborate on my theories in a future report, if requested.)

Since betraying the Empire, the Dread Masters have quickly amassed a military force of their own, which they refer to as their “Dread Host”. Our research suggests that very few members of this force are willing volunteers; most are former Republic and Imperial personnel whose minds have been irreparably dominated by the power of the Dread Masters. Efforts to question or treat captured members of the Dread Host have been entirely unsuccessful. The constant psychological manipulations of the Dread Masters have rendered their followers both completely loyal and incurably, paranoically insane.

As they gathered their armies, the Dread Masters also began to make subtle inroads within the Hutt Cartel. My information suggests that it was their influence which drove the Cartel’s former Supreme Mogul, Karagga the Unyielding, to initiate the aggressive expansion activities that ultimately resulted in his own death. The ramifications were far-reaching, perhaps even leading to the recent conflict on Makeb.

The Dread Masters further expanded their influence by briefly seizing control of the planet Denova, a major supplier of explosive munitions. Working through mercenary intermediaries, the Dread Masters seized an unknown amount of high-powered explosives, along with weapons, ground and air vehicles, and other military supplies originally stationed on the planet by the Republic.

Next, the Dread Masters set out for more exotic technologies. Forces from the Dread Host were deployed to Belsavis, where they attempted to retrieve ancient Rakata weapons that had been hidden there. Another, much smaller team managed to infiltrate the Gree Enclave and gather information and materials from some of their most complex designs. Although this team was defeated on the planet Asation, I believe we must still assume that they successfully transmitted the information they gathered, including the secrets of Gree “hypergate” technology, back to their masters.

Most recently, the Dread Masters attempted to bolster their forces by once again manipulating the shattered Hutt Cartel. A vast assembly of mercenary and pirate arms, vehicles, and personnel was gathered on Darvannis, ostensibly to vie for Cartel contracts. Instead, the Dread Master known as Styrak attempted to overwhelm and convert the mercenaries into service among the Dread Host. Fortunately, Styrak’s plans were foiled before he could fully complete them, and Styrak himself was killed—the first palpable blow struck against the Dread Masters since their escape.

Since that time, the remaining five Dread Masters—Brontes, Tyrans, Calphayus, Bestia, and Raptus—have remained in hiding. Despite the loss of Styrak and other setbacks, we know for a fact that the Dread Masters still have a vast army of fanatical soldiers at their command, as well as a collection of powerful and ancient technologies that lie well outside of our scientific understanding. Furthermore, the Dread Masters’ ability to induce widespread terror, paranoia, and hallucinations may not have been affected by Styrak’s death, and I have found nothing in my studies that would suggest any foolproof defense against their power, either for you or your forces.

The task ahead of you will no doubt present one of the greatest challenges anyone in our order has faced. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information to aid you.

May the Force be with you.

END MESSAGE
In response to Gnost-Dural's ignorant scratchings (presumably he just bashed his antiox breath mask against a holopad), I the Heir of Tulak Hord, Lord Kallig, Lord of Hate, Darth Nox, Head of the Pyramid of Ancient Knowledge and Master of the Gathering Darkness, shall elaborate on the history of the Dread Masters from a millennium ago, to the present.

1. Sith. Prophets. Forgers of nightmares. The Dread Masters are this and more.
One thousand year ago, the Dread Masters were the only Sith to not only study the Phobis devices without dying or going insane, but the only ones who actually mastered the power of the Phobis devices.

1a. Styraak was a proficient Alchemist prior to his transformation, and as Lord Fulminiss's records indicate, he has become FAR more learned since his ascension. From Fulminiss's records on his former master " Even before Styrak became one of the Dread Masters, his superior intellect and sadistic experiments on subjects both living and dead were infamous. Hundreds, perhaps even thousands of slaves and beasts have been claimed by Styrak's heartless pursuit of mastery over the Force."

1b. Brontes has demonstrated impressive research with Cybernetics, her work a thousand years ago is still beyond what the Gormak have accomplished. Talos Drellik has recovered writings

1c. Calphayus appeared to be mentally commanding both the Dread Guard and the resurrected Kephess on Asation. It's possibly that he intended to use Lotek'k to lay claim to not just Asation, but all of the Gree Enclave.

2. Sith Lords who cripple entire armies with fear. Once the Empire's greatest weapon. The operative word being SITH Lords. Sith do NOT serve. We conquer, we rule. We are the lords of the Dark Side of the Force. It was inevitable that once the Emperor was weakened that the Dread Masters would make their move. Indeed, given that they have influenced Karagga and the Hutt Cartel in such a skillful manner, it must be taken into consideration that they may have aided the Jedi in their assault on the Emperor.

3. I had not adequately considered that the Dread Masters might have gained Hypergate technology on Asation. Clearly they ALREADY had working knowledge of Gree tech since they were able to usurp both the Green Ellipse and Grand Hypergate with such speed. However, it's possible that they might be planning on building a Hypergate on Oricon, thus allowing them a nearly impenetrable beachhead from which to attack the rest of the galaxy with ease.

4. Gnost-Dural proves his deficiencies by forgetting the Dread Master's invasions (two of them) of the Arcanum and their seizure of the Seeds of Rage and Darkstaff.

Note: If the Barsen'thor and Lore Keepers are this ignorant then the loss of Imperial Intelligence and our reliance on it's shambling corpse (Sith Intelligence) will prove not be so devastating after all :sy_empire

Lastly, Quaint tricks will not deter a member of the Dark Council!
I know that you 5 are reading this message: and I have no use for pawns that threaten MY empire. The other Dark Council members bicker on Korriban. I alone possess the power to vanquish you.

I am on Oricon. I am coming for you, and I shall reap your lives and harvest your power for myself.
SOON. I. WILL. BIND. YOUR. SOULS. TO. ME. FOREVER.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

midianlord
09.13.2013 , 11:43 PM | #28
Pleasplease, more Holonet Archive updates!

Gnost-Dural's voice-actor, his way of saying "I will elaborate [...] in my next report." was so wonderfully evocative, always made me --I'm not the only one, I'm sure-- want more. (And the closing down of the HA commensurately disappointing).
Merc and 'Slinger since launch, Merc and 'Slinger for life
(Feels good, doesn't it? Well it certainly does for me!)

skomerko
09.14.2013 , 01:01 AM | #29
Nice article!

PS. Want their armor now!

DarthRobert
09.14.2013 , 01:48 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by ekimmak View Post
I never thought I'd hate someone supporting a lightside choice (that isn't being killed in the darkside, I mean) that I could actively dislike for it, and yet that Chancellor proved me wrong. From when I first set foot on Taris republic side, I disliked her patriotic arrogance, and her behaviour at the end of her quest does not lessen that by any degree.
But we can do it. Together!