Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc Pyro most nerfed/ignored class/spec in SWTOR history.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Merc Pyro most nerfed/ignored class/spec in SWTOR history.

KhalDrogoe
09.10.2013 , 02:33 PM | #1
I posted this on the class forums, but I think the larger PvP community as a whole needs to see this for themselves. I took the time going through the patch notes since release and compiled them to show what's happened to Merc Pyro's since launch. It's not like the community was so fed up and everyone was rerolling merc pyro tech because they were obviously SO overpowered. Not to mention the 4 nerf merc threads ever created were about Arsenal pre 1.2.

BW's history with Mercenary Pyrotechs. Note, we were fine until 1.2.

Power Shot has been rebalanced. It now generates 16 Heat, has a 2-second activation time, and deals approximately 10% less damage (because we were all complaining about this skill being too good )
Prototype Particle Accelerator now requires Combustible Gas Cylinder to trigger. The chance to trigger this effect has been increased significantly but cannot trigger more than once every 6 seconds. (bottle neck our procs)

Advanced Targeting has been redesigned and now gives Unload and Rail Shot 10% of armor penetration per point. (this is when they took away our precious 3% accuracy, making Pyros forced to make up that difference with gear just so they could buff Arsenal. 3% accuracy overall > 30% armor pen on one skill for pyros)

Electro Dart's range has been decreased from 30 meters to 10 meters. (Hurt ALOT, all so they could tune PT's)
Sweltering Heat's snare has been reduced to 30%. (Oh yeah because we were having such an easy time kiting )
Due to changes in the Mercenary skill trees, all Mercenaries have had their skill points refunded. (basically redesigning pyro tree to be terribad)

Thermal Detonator has been redesigned: The Bounty Hunter now hurls a thermal detonator that adheres to the target and detonates after several seconds, exploding for kinetic damage and burning the target for elemental damage over 12 seconds. Standard and weak enemies enter a state of panic when the explosive attaches and are knocked down when it explodes. (Made it into an incendiary missile with a CD)

Sweltering Heat now slows properly when Combustible Gas Cylinder is refreshed on a target. (Apparently we've been missing it for years)

Now let's look at the list of buffs for Pyrotech.

Thermal Detonator no longer shares a cooldown with Explosive Dart.

New Passive ability, Missile Salvo, has been added. Missile Salvo allows up to 3 weaker Missile Blasts to be fired in a row before generating heat and going on cooldown for 6 seconds. (I still don't think this is working as intended)
They also brought back our 3% accuracy that they nerfed in 1.3...

Iraq-Lobster, Wakwa, The Marshmallow Legacy POT5
Bloobies - JC

ErikGW
09.10.2013 , 03:03 PM | #2
Pyro mercs are kinda gimped like madness assassins... no spike and a lot of wimpy dots with low survivability.

I've never seen a pyro merc perform well at all, ever.

I play arsenal because it's the only way to do real, measurable, useful damage on a merc and not be a liability to your team.

I cringe every time i see a pyro merc join a match.

Pyro powertech is actually useful, though, if they don't go full pyro and destroy their other trees that give much better skills and make them useful to their team.
Jung ma: Nyshka, Nyshkal, Nyshkai, Nyshkar, Nyskali, Nyshkan, Nyshkae of Gold Nugget Gang
There are other names i can't exactly remember. True altaholic.

T-Assassin
09.10.2013 , 03:13 PM | #3
I had to quit playing my Merc due to all the changes.

it's maddening the amount of nerfs this class has received in the name of not knowing how to interrupt a missile spammer (pre 1.2) and its PT/VG shared tree (pre 2.0).

"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

Hiltingp
09.10.2013 , 03:23 PM | #4
reroll to pt mate
With the Force comes the great Destiny!

KhalDrogoe
09.10.2013 , 05:45 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Hiltingp View Post
reroll to pt mate
Yeah, I just started last night. Would be nice if BW gave me a double xp weekend before 2.4. =P

Iraq-Lobster, Wakwa, The Marshmallow Legacy POT5
Bloobies - JC

Warlord_Maliken
09.11.2013 , 02:17 AM | #6
Wait what? Is this an old thread? im a 51 mercenary and I pvp all the time... Im almost 450-700k dmg per WZ. and almost always #1 in dmg; and most of the time by a long shot. I LOVE my ability-arsenal and a Pyrotech Mercenary. I have great burst!!! Im not even going to explain it because I am baffled that anyone would argue this. Please explain what you are having trouble with as a pyrotech mercenary? Mine is dominant, I just wish I had a mobility-ability such as a jetpack disengage ,but besides that, hes a blast.

All in all im a level 51 pyrotech mercenary in the 30-54 bracket, so my experiences in the warzones may be bias.
Maliken - 55 Juggernaut @ Shadowlands Server
A.K.A. The Golden Sasquatch Of Korriban / The Vicious Manbearpig
"Greetings my children..."
Maliken Selfy: http://imgur.com/1Drc5BE

szczypaczek
09.11.2013 , 03:32 AM | #7
w8 for 55 lvl pvp nd uw ill change to arsenal in no time
Lügbürz / Merc - Tomb of Freedon Nadd: Guild: Melancholy

Sübject-zero / Commando

AngusFTW
09.11.2013 , 03:55 AM | #8
You only really saw pyro mercs because it was the only really useable/bearable dps spec for mercs in pvp before 2.0 hit, with the nerfs to pyro tree in general (mainly to nerf pts) and buffs to arsenal tree there is really no reason to run it in current climate.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
55s.
Bleezar, Bleezár. Bleezlórd. Bleezard. Bleezford, Bleeznaut, Bleezfatt,
Lowbies
Bleezbian, Bleezguard, Bleezdian

vid
twitch

FatZomby
09.11.2013 , 04:23 AM | #9
I just got done playing the pyro and its fine. Tough to go head to head with anyone sometimes, but overall, its a very good support character.

Toughen yourself up a bit and learn how to play them.

ScruffyWhite
09.11.2013 , 04:28 AM | #10
While I agree merc pyro is completely gimped...its not fair to say that pt's haven't been hit with the nerf bat too
Bopitty