PvP Gearing?

xChroniCx

Re-posting this from my class forums since it's getting little feedback and iapplies to more than just marauder.

Getting back into the game and I'm a little confused with how best to gear with the bolster system. So 2018 is expertise cap, once you hit this number is It ok to mix and match pvp/pve gear? Are pve hilts the way to go once max geared since they have much higher damage ratings?

I also have full war hero ilvl 61 from when I used to play, should I replace the pieces with expertise 1st since they're messing up my bolster? Do augments effect bolster?

Right now I'm farming comms not spending any ranked until the patch hits and spending reg comms when im about to cap. I have around 4M from a bunch of green-black crystals I stashed from the Rakghoul event, I'm guessing I should invest in a full augmented set?

Re-posting this from my class forums since it's getting little feedback and iapplies to more than just marauder.

Getting back into the game and I'm a little confused with how best to gear with the bolster system. So 2018 is expertise cap, once you hit this number is It ok to mix and match pvp/pve gear? Are pve hilts the way to go once max geared since they have much higher damage ratings?

If every piece of gear you wear is PVP gear, you will have 2018 expertise. All the PVP sets give exactly 2018 expertise. Expertise no longer has diminishing returns and boosts dmg vs players 60%, dmg reduction 37.5% at the 2018 max.

The bolster system works by checking you gear to see if it is PVP or PVE, and then bolstering "PVE" items -- adding stats and expertise to get them up to snuff. If a piece of gear has any expertise on any of its mods, it's counted as a PVP item and is not bolstered. Mixing PVE and PVP mods on one piece of gear is the worst thing you can do.

Damage rating on hilts/barrels doesn't matter in warzones, because it will be bolstered to max (Kell Dragon).

If a PVE item has better stats (more mainstat, etc.) than PVP items (66+ gear, I think), the PVE item is still bolstered to add expertise, but it is granted less expertise. The idea is that 72 Dread Guard gear will be better than bolstered 50 gear, but still inferior to Conquerer or Partisan.

I also have full war hero ilvl 61 from when I used to play, should I replace the pieces with expertise 1st since they're messing up my bolster? Do augments effect bolster?

Augments are not bolstered, though you still get the benefit. Your war hero gear should be fine -- it's 61 rating, so it will be bolstered to max expertise. You should replace piece by piece as you can though...maybe wait until 2.4, when new gear hits and Conquerer becomes much cheaper.

Right now I'm farming comms not spending any ranked until the patch hits and spending reg comms when im about to cap. I have around 4M from a bunch of green-black crystals I stashed from the Rakghoul event, I'm guessing I should invest in a full augmented set?

Yup. Most of the gear gap in warzones now is the difference between having augments or not. PVE --> Partisan, and Partisan --> Conqueror differences are not big.

If every piece of gear you wear is PVP gear, you will have 2018 expertise. All the PVP sets give exactly 2018 expertise. Expertise no longer has diminishing returns and boosts dmg vs players 60%, dmg reduction 37.5% at the 2018 max.

The bolster system works by checking you gear to see if it is PVP or PVE, and then bolstering "PVE" items -- adding stats and expertise to get them up to snuff. If a piece of gear has any expertise on any of its mods, it's counted as a PVP item and is not bolstered. Mixing PVE and PVP mods on one piece of gear is the worst thing you can do.

Damage rating on hilts/barrels doesn't matter in warzones, because it will be bolstered to max (Kell Dragon).

If a PVE item has better stats (more mainstat, etc.) than PVP items (66+ gear, I think), the PVE item is still bolstered to add expertise, but it is granted less expertise. The idea is that 72 Dread Guard gear will be better than bolstered 50 gear, but still inferior to Conquerer or Partisan.

Augments are not bolstered, though you still get the benefit. Your war hero gear should be fine -- it's 61 rating, so it will be bolstered to max expertise. You should replace piece by piece as you can though...maybe wait until 2.4, when new gear hits and Conquerer becomes much cheaper.

Yup. Most of the gear gap in warzones now is the difference between having augments or not. PVE --> Partisan, and Partisan --> Conqueror differences are not big.

That makes sense, thanks. So I should be replacing the gear I have without expertise on it 1st?

That makes sense, thanks. So I should be replacing the gear I have without expertise on it 1st?

Do you have any gear with expertise? The war hero stuff was converted to PVE gear (expertise was removed and mainstat/endurance added), so it bolsters normally. Make sure you take out war hero crystals until you have partisan weapon/offhand. And yeah, I would replace relics first -- I think those are your only old pieces that have expertise.

New gear set is dropping soon, and conqueror prices will go down to a fraction of what they are now, so you might just want to max your comms and buy medpacks until it drops. Having a piece of pure PVE gear is fine. PVP gear is better, but not hugely better. (In fact, some top operative healers use a few pieces of PVE gear for set bonus) Just don't mix PVE/PVP mods on same piece of gear.

Recruit gear still has expertise, so get rid of any that you have.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6250540

should help you out some