Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

It has come, Sniper/Slinger ORBITAL/FLYBY NERFS

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
It has come, Sniper/Slinger ORBITAL/FLYBY NERFS

Devilk
09.12.2013 , 01:28 AM | #41
Okay thanks for clarifying the execute thing! Keep up the good work man.

BetaKiller
09.12.2013 , 11:27 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Here are 2 new ones i just made tonight

Lethality and MM http://www.torparse.com/a/420749

Basic lethality rotation with EP when IM/CH is up.
Basic MM rotation with max uptime on CD and Lazed Snipe on cooldown.
Both do not use Orbital aside from the initial opener.

So much DPS lost without OS, the numbers you are getting only show that Snipers need the OS to be on par with Marauders as a full DPS class... Only cutting OS from our rotation doesn't seem to be the way they'll go, from their previous answers I'll bet they'll buff Snipe which may compensate somewhat for this drastic drop. So unless OS doesn't keeps its current mechanic of fire-and-forget and unless the cost is so prohibitive we will still use it for single-target damage.

paowee
09.12.2013 , 12:13 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by BetaKiller View Post
So much DPS lost without OS, the numbers you are getting only show that Snipers need the OS to be on par with Marauders as a full DPS class... Only cutting OS from our rotation doesn't seem to be the way they'll go, from their previous answers I'll bet they'll buff Snipe which may compensate somewhat for this drastic drop. So unless OS doesn't keeps its current mechanic of fire-and-forget and unless the cost is so prohibitive we will still use it for single-target damage.
I think MM will still use Orbital though. The cast time is waaay to short to not use. It's more of an issue for the Lethality/Hybrid specs i think.

I should've put a disclaimer for MM... we won't know the DPS loss for this spec until they show us the actual changes they make to Orbital and parse it from there.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

chuixupu
09.12.2013 , 04:23 PM | #44
I have mixed feelings about this.

First, I really love OS as an ability as it is, and I hate to think about it getting nerfed. However, if they do it in such a way that it is still very powerful for multiple targets, with a significantly lower cooldown and cast time, then I can live with that.

As much as I like OS and think that in a lore type of way the idea of an Orbital Strike should be a huge hit that you don't get to use often, it does have its disadvantages in some situations. We've all had our OS wasted because either the adds died before it finished casting, or someone pulled all the mobs out of it before it hit. We've probably all at the very least been tempted to not use it on aoe situations in a boss fight because we'd rather use it on cooldown for higher dps numbers at some point.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Gyronamics
09.12.2013 , 04:42 PM | #45
The only really comparable class that can use AOE in a rotation but isn't specifically an AOE class is a Mercenary and using DFA or not is almost irrelevant to dps for them on single target and personally I think differences in using or not fall into margin for error territory when parse A is better than parse B.

On the other hand a mercenary has also has two cripplingly expensive AOE attacks (fusion missile and sweeping blasters) each of which cost more than a OS yet do much less damage than a DFA (also much weaker than a OS) and are a good way to go into a DPS loss through low regen unless expecting some regen time or planning to burn resource CDs to neutralise the cost.
Notwired @ Not Good Enough @ TRE

Svii
09.13.2013 , 02:21 AM | #46
Don't forget Powertech AP-spec, we have one in my raid team that does massive amounts of AoE.. I can only reliably beat him on trash with full Engineer

Gyronamics
09.13.2013 , 02:53 AM | #47
Yeah well AP and Engineer are aoe boosted specs.
Notwired @ Not Good Enough @ TRE

paowee
09.13.2013 , 11:38 AM | #48
My favorite non engi aoe spec is still Lightning/TK lol
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

CJNJ
09.13.2013 , 12:57 PM | #49
Wonder what they will do to bring down sent/Mara to the other classes then

namesaretough
09.13.2013 , 01:33 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by CJNJ View Post
Wonder what they will do to bring down sent/Mara to the other classes then
Probably keep designing fights that make melee hate themselves and call it a day.

On topic, I'm glad flyby/orbital is going to get nerfed. It's so much better than any other class's AOE that it's kind of silly. I think it's premature to complain about how low the damage in any spec is going to be without using orbital, as the devs have paid a lot of attention to snipers/gunslingers so far and at least from this section of the community has earned a little trust. We've been solid for a very long time, let's be patient and wait to see what the changes will actually be.
Smugglin