Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rise of the Hutt Cartel – Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Rise of the Hutt Cartel – Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

chuixupu
09.11.2013 , 02:26 PM | #581
Quote: Originally Posted by FallenCamel View Post
i hope you realize f2p players arnt getitng the expansion, but subs are
Correct, in theory, some of these people have been paying monthly just as long as anyone else. And obviously if they bought the expansion in the last month, they paid for it just like the other people. I think the number of people who will subscribe for the first time in the two days given before the announcement would be very small if non-existent.

They certainly did not think this through, though. They should have announced it with more time, and they should have done more to spin this in favor of people that ordered the digital expansion early. Because yes, it does send a negative message to those people. They did it right when the whole game when free by giving people CC's based on the time they had been subscribing, though I can tell you from memory that people were still angry and claiming it wasn't enough even then.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

twistedmonk
09.11.2013 , 02:26 PM | #582
i posted this in another thread before seeing this

Its the principle that recent purchasers get more rewarded for there support than those who pre ordered the content.

A proper way to show loyal customers would be something like :-

Pre orders - 500cc, free taunton mount and unique title
bought before set date say 1 August - 500cc and unique title
bought since 2nd August - 500cc

People should be rewarded for loyalty and support to the game, people who pre ordered showed the most support and faith in Bioware, why shouldn't they be rewarded with more or even the same as others, they got pre order bonuses for showing support but should that hinder getting the same bonus as others for showing support?

This is one sure way to stick two fingers up to the most loyal supporters Bioware.

kaosamongus
09.11.2013 , 02:28 PM | #583
I think it isn't fair that those that bought it recently get extra Cartel Coins, yet those of us that bought it on day one or even pre-ordered it get screwed out of the coins. How does that reward loyalty? The most loyal get nothing but a title, while those that just recently became loyal get a bonus? The coins should be extended, or even boosted, for those of us that have had the expansion since release, or shortly after release. How are you guys going to reward the newbies, but forget about your veterans? I've had a sub since a week after SWTOR came out, and all I've seen is Bioware favor their new players over their vets, like seriously, do you guys even WANT loyal players? You have got to start thinking more about your veterans than your newbies, at least a bit; or you will start losing more and more players, and money from canceled subs, if you keep low-balling us like this.

Silmadil
09.11.2013 , 02:31 PM | #584
Why they don't give coins to people who bye that DLC earlier?? that is not honest....

Ishigum
09.11.2013 , 02:42 PM | #585
Quote: Originally Posted by Benfynyn View Post
Alright, I've been fairly critical of BW/EA, and this post will be no different, but their position on this is not indefensible (albeit poorly handled as is consistent with their dealings with the player base).

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Here's the problem. They say that Subscribers that have RotHC already will get a title "as our [BW/EA] appreciation for the purchase" and that's cool. They didn't have to do anything but it's a nice gesture. But then they go on to say that those that bought it within the last month "will be granted 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins in appreciation for their recent purchase of Rise of the Hutt Cartel" which is not what they mean. When I read that I knew immediately that there was going to be an outcry of how unfair the Veteran and "most loyal" players are being treated. That the appreciation was not equal and that the "late comers" were more valued. Hence my original post to this thread.

The truth, as has been pointed out by others, is that they are going to be giving away a product tomorrow for free that they have sold to people as recently as yesterday (possibly today) and they HAVE to reimburse them. It's not appreciation at all, it's a necessity. They called it "appreciation" to seem magnanimous and generous but the truth is they had no choice it was either the cartel coins or refund the money itself (and giving back the money would show up on the books and is a bad precedent as well).

So that group was going to get their CC no matter what and the rest were going to get a title and nothing more. The problem was, yet again, how they communicated the message. So if that was the problem what was the solution? For starters, they need to work on their timing. Consider the cause and effect of telling us when they did.

• They waited until 2 days before it goes into effect to tell the community
  • Waiting until then to announce this put them in the position of having to reimburse those that bought RotHC recently since they didn't know it was going to be free so soon.
  • That reimbursement was framed as appreciation.
  • That appreciation seemed inequitable to some who were getting a seemingly lesser form of appreciation.
  • Vocal forum users express their frustrations, others defend the move, and cycle of negative posts both for and against the decision and the general treatment of the player base

100% predictable outcome. Given everything that BW/EA has dealt with from our community they had to see this was what would happen. Maybe they did and decided to weather it, I don't know, but what I do know is it didn't have to be that way. Here's how I believe they should have handled it. First, you make your announcement on July 12th so that there is a 2 month lead time before the change takes effect. Then you make the following announcement.

Beginning September 12, 2013, active Subscribers will receive the first Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel free of charge as a newly added benefit to the Subscriber Rewards Program! Rise of the Hutt Cartel offers the breathtaking planet of Makeb, five new levels of story-driven missions increasing the level cap to 55, and exciting technology devices which unlock valuable rewards.

Additionally, players who have already purchased Rise of the Hutt Cartel and are an active Subscriber as of August 12 at 4:00AM PDT / 11:00AM GMT will receive a new title, “The Risen,” via in-game mail on or before September 25, 2013 as our appreciation for the purchase.

Finally, RotHC will no longer be available for direct purchase to those with an active subscription after August 12 at 4:00AM PDT / 11:00AM GMT. Instead Subscribers who have not purchased Rise of the Hutt Cartel by then will automatically unlock RotHC when they purchase 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins or more from the in-game store. F2P players can continue to purchase the subscription as they always have if they so choose.

What this does is gives people clearly described options and time to make their decision. You have RotHC already, you get a title. You don't have it? Well you can wait for it to go free, OR you can buy it prior to August 12th and get the title, OR you can wait until August 12th and buy some cartel coins and get it for free in advance of it being free for everyone (essentially getting a month early access on it being free). Which is basically the same thing what we have now but it's not a reimbursement or appreciation. No hurt feelings, no outrage.

Obviously this doesn't help them now but I hope they consider this when making future decisions. They need to choose their words more carefully and make announcements well in advance of the changes.
Note this for the future BW/EA. With all the newer games coming out I understand that you want to give subscribers more people to play end-game content with but the way you went about it was all wrong. How could you not expect blow-back? This will draw subscribers away from this game and onto those very games you are trying to dissuade them from.
"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer." - Mitch Hedberg

aosterloh
09.11.2013 , 02:59 PM | #586
I came back in July give me some cartel coins. But I agree this won't go over to well with all the subscribers that have been loyal for awhile to just get a stupid title that benefits us in now way.
As I say in pvp matches good fail bioware good fail..

Also I'm sure with all this being free to subscribers now its going to come in about 2 more days that Patch 2.4 is actually a DLC they are going to bend us over for 10 more bucks to access the content of this patch as well.

They are going to make it as if they are doing us a *favor* when in all actually its just another ****** of our wallets!
So do us a favor please stop hiding the fact that you are screwing us and just give us a kiss first already.

Vistaer
09.11.2013 , 03:05 PM | #587
I've enjoy 55 so far, and got it at RotHC launch, so I don't feel cheated. However, perhaps as a way to smooth over relations, is to give people who bought RotHC before the cartel coin date preferred pricing and/or early access to the next expansion, so as to keep it relevant to those who are already obviously willing to be early adopters of new content.

Kenjer
09.11.2013 , 03:12 PM | #588
As someone who pre-ordered both the original game and ROTHC, i do feel sort of screwed by this. Like others have mentioned, the people who have been the most loyal seem to be getting taken for granted.

Between this and healing to full I'm starting to really lose faith that Bioware (or perhaps EA) is even capable of doing the right thing for their customers.

If arenas are a bust, im going to have a hard time staying around i think....

Sorwen
09.11.2013 , 03:13 PM | #589
Quote: Originally Posted by Vistaer View Post
I've enjoy 55 so far, and got it at RotHC launch, so I don't feel cheated. However, perhaps as a way to smooth over relations, is to give people who bought RotHC before the cartel coin date preferred pricing and/or early access to the next expansion, so as to keep it relevant to those who are already obviously willing to be early adopters of new content.
Not really no. I can't see buying another expansion if they are just going to release it for free in 5 months. I don't need early access when I'm already paying $15 a month.
Forever and always forward.
Please save me from the shortsightedness of developers that think they are clever.
More family tree options
Yeah! I just made Legacy Level 8. (and I didn't even get a T-shirt)

Trase-Kor
09.11.2013 , 03:15 PM | #590
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorwen View Post
I can't see buying another expansion if they are just going to release it for free in 5 months. I don't need early access when I'm already paying $15 a month.
Just quoting for emphasis.
Early access is not worth $10.