Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rise of the Hutt Cartel Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Rise of the Hutt Cartel Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

homsikpanda
09.11.2013 , 11:39 AM | #541
Quote: Originally Posted by Exly View Post
Maybe, but BioWare is calling it a grant not a credit, so I wonder how they could defend themselves if pressed on the matter.
all sales final on electronic purchases as stated in the EULA..... =/

DarthTHC
09.11.2013 , 11:41 AM | #542
Quote: Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
all sales final on electronic purchases as stated in the EULA..... =/
EULA cannot trump regulations or consumer protection laws.

Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff?

homsikpanda
09.11.2013 , 11:58 AM | #543
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
EULA cannot trump regulations or consumer protection laws.

Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff?
obviously you just clicked "next" when reading the EUALA and haven't read the actual consumer protection laws for california recently.....

and to answer you question i work tech support for major electronics provider, knowing the EULA and having a basic understanding of local consumer protection laws is a boost to the job when dealing with customer issues all day.

NerdTech
09.11.2013 , 11:58 AM | #544
Fact is they are rewarding people who bought the expansion at last minute and bashing ones that bought it from the start that have supported the game, this can't be right. I bought the expansion 22nd of July, only about 3 weeks short of Aug 13th and all I get is the title. I'd be more pissed off if I pre-ordered it, and what about the people who bought on Aug 12th? 1 DAY difference. They should treat everyone the same and give them the cartel coins, or the choice of the coins or the title. I'm not against giving it away at this point, I understand it's probably going to be for the betterment of everyone and the game in the long run though.

Exly
09.11.2013 , 12:06 PM | #545
what space thing?
The "Super Secret Space Project" that hey are currently hiring in house testers for.

Exly
09.11.2013 , 12:15 PM | #546
obviously you just clicked "next" when reading the EUALA and haven't read the actual consumer protection laws for california recently.....

and to answer you question i work tech support for major electronics provider, knowing the EULA and having a basic understanding of local consumer protection laws is a boost to the job when dealing with customer issues all day.
If you are right, then BioWare was not seeking legal cover by giving an appreciation grant to recent buyers of the expansion, and really is intentionally choosing to treat long time players with a lesser amount of appreciation by not giving them the same grant in appreciation for their purchase.

AlienEyeTX
09.11.2013 , 12:32 PM | #547
Question, because I'm not sure if it has been addressed yet. Reading the message about this, it appears that some people will be getting cartel coins AND the title. Is that the case?

If so, why did they make any of it retroactive in granting CCs? They could have just come out on a certain day and stated that "from this day forward, all subscribers who have not yet purchased this expansion get it for free. Everyone who already purchased the expansion gets this title..."
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

Cessna_X
09.11.2013 , 12:34 PM | #548
So, what we can learn from this is that when the next expansion comes out (which will likely be soon), don't buy it for the content alone. What you're really buying when you pay for the expansion is either:
- the preorder items, early access, and a title (if you preorder)
- early access and a title (if you don't preorder)
- early access, 1050 Cartel Coins, and a title (if you buy it within a month before it goes live)

Personally I think giving it away is a good move. I've always thought that RotHC should have been free to subs; it really is just a bigger-than-average Game Update. There just isn't enough content to warrant Expansion status, imo (especially when you look at some other MMOs' expansions).

I don't like that they're making the purchase value follow a parabolic curve, though (i.e. the best time to buy is either at the very beginning or the very end). It dissuades people from buying after the preorder period; they'll get a better value if they wait. A better business model, imo, would be to relate purchase value linearly with time (i.e. the sooner you buy, the more you get).
You could no more evade my wrath
than you could your own shadow

Sorwen
09.11.2013 , 12:40 PM | #549
If you are right, then BioWare was not seeking legal cover by giving an appreciation grant to recent buyers of the expansion, and really is intentionally choosing to treat long time players with a lesser amount of appreciation by not giving them the same grant in appreciation for their purchase.
The statement "EULA cannot trump regulations or consumer protection laws." is technically correct. However some consumer protection laws recognize EULA as waving certain rights. Another however is that some states say that an EULA can't be used to give away ANY rights. It all depends on where you live.

Writing something on the net means you have to cover for every circumstance so I have to agree they are specifically not calling it a refund. The one thing though is many banks/cc companies will allow to dispute the charge and reverse it on most purchase within 30 days so part of it is likely to avoid people trying to reverse charges. They want to keep their $10.
Forever and always forward.
Please save me from the shortsightedness of developers that think they are clever.
More family tree options
Yeah! I just made Legacy Level 8. (and I didn't even get a T-shirt)

homsikpanda
09.11.2013 , 12:41 PM | #550
-shrug- probably. it's EA after all, i'm happy with my appreciation so i'm not complaining