Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people still guard healers in flashpoints?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Why do people still guard healers in flashpoints?

johnbgood
09.09.2013 , 03:37 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaos_KidSWTOR View Post
I hate to break it to you guys but for every 1 point that a healer heals they gain 2 threat, if you deal 1 point of damage your threat goes up by 1 point. So Healers need guard because they generate the most threat. End of Story.
thats wrong. for every point of healing the healer gains 0.5 points threat.
it looks like overheal does not generate threat in a boss fight.

Red_rocks
09.09.2013 , 03:43 PM | #32
I guard healers when the dps are morons and attack the mob with the highest hitpoints first, leaving all the weak mobs to shoot the **** out of the healer.

Thats the only reason healers insist on guard in flashpoints (especially hammer station), there are so many dps who can't do their freaking job properly and pick off all the weak mobs first.

Banegio
09.09.2013 , 05:09 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Red_rocks View Post
I guard healers when the dps are morons and attack the mob with the highest hitpoints first, leaving all the weak mobs to shoot the **** out of the healer.

Thats the only reason healers insist on guard in flashpoints (especially hammer station), there are so many dps who can't do their freaking job properly and pick off all the weak mobs first.
^ This

Guarding the healer is the percentage play in pugging fp.

If you get a good group it doesn't matter who you guard.

If the dps not killing weaks first in trash packs, guarding the healer can make the difference.

AlixMV
09.09.2013 , 05:39 PM | #34
Ahahahaha. Oh man, this is so timely. Because there are still people out there who think this is Canon.

Funny anecdote related to this that just happened to me last night:
I was tanking SM Hammer Station on a Shadow while my friend was playing a Scoundrel Healer. We've been playing together for a while now and as a tank/healer combo in the 55 Operations for several months, so we have a pretty high comfort level with each others' skills in the respective roles.

We got a PUG Shadow and Sentinel as DPS via Group Finder, and I slapped my Guard on the Sentinel. Not four pulls in (after that big hairy one near the beginning), the DPS Shadow slapped a Guard on my friend--which indicated they'd either switched or was running in tank form. When I called them on it, the Shadow proceeded to throw a snit fit about how I wasn't guarding the healer, how I was doin' it wrong but didn't want to tank themselves. When both I (as the tank) and my friend (as the healer in question) pointed out it wasn't necessary to Guard the healer and that I knew what I was doing, I can only assume the Shadow proceeded to ragequit the group.

I can understand PUG Healers wanting the Guard from an unknown tank or a tank in a PUG group maybe putting the Guard on the Healer until they get a sense of the DPS, but having a DPS throw a hissy about it when the healer doesn't have a problem with it...pretty laughable. XD And yet the misconception persists.

----

Also, FWIW, like others have noted, my Op group has some points where we do put Guards on the Healers instead of the DPS--Phase 2 of the TfB fight is one of them. Phase 1 of Operator IX is another (but we've only done SM so far, this may change when we get to HM).
~ < Fortitude > ~ Jedi Covenant ~
Referral link
Sollyni ~ Diyanna ~ Annifryd
Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee

Mowermanx
09.09.2013 , 10:01 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Red_rocks View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by Banegio View Post
^ This

Guarding the healer is the percentage play in pugging fp.

If you get a good group it doesn't matter who you guard.

If the dps not killing weaks first in trash packs, guarding the healer can make the difference.
Hey OP, here is the answer to your question, Why do people still guard healers in flashpoints? enjoy!

Nkya
09.10.2013 , 02:28 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by nlashbrook View Post
It depends on the situation really. If it's large trash mobs where there are lots and lots of adds the tank might put a guard on a healer to avoid them pulling from the healing agro. Most of the time a guard isn't really needed all that often
That's not going to help, the healer would still have the aggro if those adds are not handled. The healers would indeed have less thread (25%?) but this tiny bit will still be over the 0 thread the others have.

There is few cases where guarding a healer can make sense, assuming player follow their role: If the DPS aren't focusing on the same target than the tank, they're too far to benefit the guard, there is an immediate thread of damage on a player. For instance:
- Cademinu, Xander & EN-4C: the DPS are supposed to attack the droid as well as the tank, therefore can't steal the aggro
- Mandalorian Raiders, Braxx the Bloodhound: the DPS focus on the dogs, and may be out of range while the healer wouldn't like to. The boss' need to be taunted regularly.
- TFB operator IX, adds start with some aggro already and the DPS are not supposed to be on range most of the time anyway
- The false Emperor, switch the guard to whoever Malgus is going to target.

Woebearer
09.10.2013 , 03:01 AM | #37
Im Commando and Merc healer, I am not angry to be guarded when the tank decides to jump into massive trash groups. TraumaProbe/Med-Shield guarantee instant attention from the mobs if I forget to take it back and cast it again few moments later. Depending on FP and diffculty im torn apart in split seconds, its only few (2-3) spots where this happens but they are there.

CrazyGreggy
09.10.2013 , 04:01 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Woebearer View Post
Im Commando and Merc healer, I am not angry to be guarded when the tank decides to jump into massive trash groups. TraumaProbe/Med-Shield guarantee instant attention from the mobs if I forget to take it back and cast it again few moments later. Depending on FP and diffculty im torn apart in split seconds, its only few (2-3) spots where this happens but they are there.
Yeah, BW really need to learn from that "other" company that changed the threat on a reactive shield type healing ability to apply to the person healed rather than the caster of the heal.

AlrikFassbauer
09.10.2013 , 05:50 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by FlyinSpaghetti View Post
I mean I've seen instances where there's been two 72 geared sents/gunslingers and the tank goes ahead and chucks the guard on some lower geared healer.

Is there any reason why this still happens? Bad advice become force of habit perhaps?
I have the suspicion that "guarding" means a different thing in PvP than in FPs & OPS - and that people mean the same.

Meaning that "guarding healers" is seemingly common in PvP, and that perhaps people bring it from there into FPs & OPs.
<S-key to victory> Because flying with s-foils is more fun.

We are the result of our experiences.

Icarus-Iso
09.10.2013 , 06:47 AM | #40
Guarding the healer appears to be the quick and easy way, since a majority of the time the healer will be pulling aggro if an enemy is left to their own devices (not taunted or attacked).

As I healer I love guard, love it, however when I'm levelling alts and a DPS is the higher level and better geared (especially if they're melee) I'll ask for the tank to guard them. If the tank asks why, I explain. That's not to say guards should be on the highest level / highest geared all the time. As an operative healer if I have 2 on-going heals (Kolto Probe) on all 4 group members using my aggro dump when I get aggro does squat.

The best tanks I've found seem to have their guard somewhere they can use it, since they change it mid battle. If the healer is fine but your friendly DPS is getting hammered, a switch to absorb some of that damage can really assist. After all, the damage absorption only works if the target is within a certain distance, 15m I believe, which a lot of PUGS seem to forget.

Still, the worst guard is one that isn't used at all