Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How about advancing class stories without level increases...using companions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How about advancing class stories without level increases...using companions?

LordArtemis
09.08.2013 , 11:58 AM | #1
This was an idea that hit me...time is the biggest enemy for class story advances it seems. But I think a line of quests could be created for top level folks in each class, one class at a time, to further the story using companions.

The rewards could be horizontal with no level increase...class specific armor, mods, implants, relics, etc....perhaps other goodies that would be for your class only.

If they work on each set one class at a time, using a specific companion, they could provide story advancement without a level increase requirement.

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.

SNCommand
09.08.2013 , 12:02 PM | #2
I would be onboard, but I know the majority won't because it would always be the complaint that their class is not the next, that also makes it a bad idea
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

LordArtemis
09.08.2013 , 12:25 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SNCommand View Post
I would be onboard, but I know the majority won't because it would always be the complaint that their class is not the next, that also makes it a bad idea
Yea, that is one caveat....only one class at a time.

It does have the benefit of actually making it happen, if it could happen this way, as opposed to never happening.

arunav
09.08.2013 , 12:53 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SNCommand View Post
Doesn't a lot of the player-base have at least a main and a few alt classes at this point?

This is a decent idea, but I still think we should encourage incorporating class missions into future planets, even if they aren't on the same scale as the original 3 chapters.

Makeb felt hollow and flat because there were so few voiced-quests on the first play-through (almost everything was on a terminal except for the main arc), and then subsequent times through were tedious because it was basically identical.

Though some would disagree, I'd buy the story-expansions on the CM.

LordArtemis
09.08.2013 , 01:53 PM | #5
I do think this is one way around the time problem.

You pick out one class, then set a development schedule with say an arc of 5 missions per set. Something directly tied to the class story to advance it further, but not to increase level....the rewards would run horizontal.

You attach it to a companion...could be main, but would be nice if it was an alternate. That also gives you an opportunity to build affection with that companion.

So, you set up an arc of 5 missions, add rewards appropriate to the class, then repeat for the other classes over time.

It might be one way to further the story and keep the cost/time on the low side. Also a plus that no level cap increase is needed, and they could continue to expand level the way they plan on doing it now without the amount of negativity, since they are feeding the class stories.

ConCube
09.08.2013 , 02:22 PM | #6
I love the idea due to the fact that I've already thought of the exact same thing!

My suggestions:

- new planet:
Dantooine (skale shoud be like tatooine and nice fully spoken quests etc etc.)

- new class stories not increasing the levelcap (just on dantooine planet)

--- sith inquisitor
You have heard from an ancient jedi-ritual allowing you to seperate body and mind
(main goal is go seperate zashs mind from khem val and get her as a companion)

--- sith warrior
The emperor is calling you from his last fortress on dantooine, telling you that you, the wrath of the emperor, must help him regain his power and rule the galaxy! After a few quests he is trying to kill you but you can barely escape - since then my next point is to be implemented...

- a new operation (eternity dread)
On the planet dantooine - the emperor united a few sith, a few dark jedi, monsters and stuff and is getting ready for a final blow against the known galaxy to completely annihilate it. You and your squad have to stop the emperor ending in an AWESOME battle between the creatures of the dark side under the control of the emperor and you!
(the most awesome part of this operation is that this operation will be scaled difficultywise reffering to how well geared the group is, making it a challenging adventure for everyone!

I would love to see that being implemented! <3
Black @ T3-M4
Azonas Assassin
Warstalker

jedip_enguin
09.08.2013 , 03:20 PM | #7
I like big referrals and I cannot lie - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

Stradlin
09.08.2013 , 05:35 PM | #8
Level increase requirement? There is no such thing strictly from developers POV. The 5 lvl increase they added for Hutt Cartel was completely artifical; they just wanted to force everybody into buying it. Reason we never again get relevant advances to class story has to do with it being incredibly expensive. EA wants to make it's easy money by monetizing gullible SW fans who literally start throwing money at them soon as they add something with name " Revan" to cartel shop. This is SO much better business than hiring Jennifer Hale to whisper sweet nothings for 2 hours.

I personally don't mind this much. Good MMO needs vast amounts of talking heads and uninteresting spoken dialogue as much as fish needs shoes. I'd love to see heavy investment on turning this into a better, deeper and more exiting MMO. Instead, focus is firmly on Cartel Shop and MONETIZING players.

LordArtemis
09.08.2013 , 05:53 PM | #9
Well, there are other time costs involved with adding levels to the game...namely designing new abilities and making sure they remain balanced.

Lets do a basic compare of developing a horizontal 5 mission arc companion based story advancement and a level cap increase based story advancement. This is VERY basic mind you, and there are certainly more factors involved, but this can be a good measure of comparison....

Horizontal story arc - companion based

Set up framework for one class
Design mods for armor or use current mods as rewards, with class specific benefits
Write storyline for one class mission set, generate voice over and script required
Set up triggers for companion affection
Set up proper rewards

Vertical story arc - level cap based

Set up framework for ALL classes
Design proper mods and/or gear as rewards
Write storyline for all class mission sets, generate all voice over and script required
Set up companion affection triggers for ALL companions across all classes
Set up proper rewards for all levels, all classes and balance it all
Design new abilities to fit into new levels for each class, balance all of them
Redesign AC interface to accommodate new abilities at the top

I can go on, but it's plain to see that raising the cap to add to the storyline is a monumental effort time and money wise, where providing a small arc of 5 missions or so for one class at a time with horizontal progression saves both time and money, and still pushes the story forward.

This was the idea...find a way to provide story advancement using the minimum amount of time and development resources possible. You can do one class at a time if you do it this way, as opposed to a level cap change that requires ALL classes to get work.

LordArtemis
09.12.2013 , 12:22 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ConCube View Post
I love the idea due to the fact that I've already thought of the exact same thing!

My suggestions:

- new planet:
Dantooine (skale shoud be like tatooine and nice fully spoken quests etc etc.)

- new class stories not increasing the levelcap (just on dantooine planet)

--- sith inquisitor
You have heard from an ancient jedi-ritual allowing you to seperate body and mind
(main goal is go seperate zashs mind from khem val and get her as a companion)

--- sith warrior
The emperor is calling you from his last fortress on dantooine, telling you that you, the wrath of the emperor, must help him regain his power and rule the galaxy! After a few quests he is trying to kill you but you can barely escape - since then my next point is to be implemented...

- a new operation (eternity dread)
On the planet dantooine - the emperor united a few sith, a few dark jedi, monsters and stuff and is getting ready for a final blow against the known galaxy to completely annihilate it. You and your squad have to stop the emperor ending in an AWESOME battle between the creatures of the dark side under the control of the emperor and you!
(the most awesome part of this operation is that this operation will be scaled difficultywise reffering to how well geared the group is, making it a challenging adventure for everyone!

I would love to see that being implemented! <3
Interesting. Id love to see a few more writeups like this from folks.