Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What reason would aliens have to be loyal to the Empire?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
What reason would aliens have to be loyal to the Empire?

Xilizhra's Avatar


Xilizhra
09.04.2013 , 05:35 PM | #1
I ask this primarily in the context of the Sith Inquisitor story, but it's also an issue for the Agent (the Warrior seems to be part of a prestigious bloodline even if an alien, while the Bounty Hunter is just doing business). It's just most awkward for the Inquisitor, because they were specifically a slave and would seem to have little to no reason to be loyal to the Empire anyway unless it was through the heritage of the Sith purebloods, but the Empire's speciesism would seem to decay even more potential ways in which they could decide to be loyal. Maybe it's just because I'm light-sided, but I'm having a hard time getting into character as a Twi'lek inquisitor; I would start up a new Sith pureblood, but that'd entail replaying everything, something I don't really want to do.

Darth_Wicked's Avatar


Darth_Wicked
09.04.2013 , 06:40 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
I ask this primarily in the context of the Sith Inquisitor story, but it's also an issue for the Agent (the Warrior seems to be part of a prestigious bloodline even if an alien, while the Bounty Hunter is just doing business). It's just most awkward for the Inquisitor, because they were specifically a slave and would seem to have little to no reason to be loyal to the Empire anyway unless it was through the heritage of the Sith purebloods, but the Empire's speciesism would seem to decay even more potential ways in which they could decide to be loyal. Maybe it's just because I'm light-sided, but I'm having a hard time getting into character as a Twi'lek inquisitor; I would start up a new Sith pureblood, but that'd entail replaying everything, something I don't really want to do.
That's because Bioware cave in and introduced the Zabrak fairly late in the development of the game. Just like Pure Blood weren't available for Sith Inquisitors, you could only roll a Human, a Pure Blood or a Cyborg for the Sith Warrior storyline. Chiss were also an Imperial Agent exclusive and Ratttataki weren't available either.

Either way, I guess that any alien who would favor a meritocracy, pull his own weight, despite overwhelming odds and be successful while at it, would be loyal to the Empire. Don't have an issue perceiving it.

Also, it's possible that maybe the Republic screwed over the illustrious member of said species? For instance, I do remember the Republic arresting this Cathar Prince named Shange(?) on Belsavis and once released, he was going to blow the lid on the whole thing. That would most likely explain Cathar on the imperial military, like Captian Hanthor?

Xilizhra's Avatar


Xilizhra
09.04.2013 , 06:49 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
That's because Bioware cave in and introduced the Zabrak fairly late in the development of the game. Just like Pure Blood weren't available for Sith Inquisitors, you could only roll a Human, a Pure Blood or a Cyborg for the Sith Warrior storyline. Chiss were also an Imperial Agent exclusive and Ratttataki weren't available either.

Either way, I guess that any alien who would favor a meritocracy, pull his own weight, despite overwhelming odds and be successful while at it, would be loyal to the Empire. Don't have an issue perceiving it.

Also, it's possible that maybe the Republic screwed over the illustrious member of said species? For instance, I do remember the Republic arresting this Cathar Prince named Shange(?) on Belsavis and once released, he was going to blow the lid on the whole thing. That would most likely explain Cathar on the imperial military, like Captian Hanthor?
Wouldn't the race-based caste system and apparent importance of bloodlines, not to mention the slavery thing, somewhat preclude the Empire from being a true meritocracy? And how do you screw over members of other species more than, well, everything the Empire does?

I originally thought that it'd have to do with the Republic's corruption and that the Empire wouldn't allow itself to sink as low into that as the Republic does... but on Nar Shaddaa, the Empire is totally fine with working with the Hutt Cartel, and indeed seems to have a somewhat better relationship with it than the Republic does. And then there's the question of why I wouldn't just join Darth Malgus when he went off to do his thing. Plus the minor but still irksome problem of how it makes no real sense for Kallig to be a Twi'lek, as the lekku could never fit into his mask.

Darth_Wicked's Avatar


Darth_Wicked
09.04.2013 , 07:01 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
Wouldn't the race-based caste system and apparent importance of bloodlines, not to mention the slavery thing, somewhat preclude the Empire from being a true meritocracy?
If you played Makeb already, then you know that the Empire is trying to loosen those restrictions, so your point is kinda moot, not to mention that the whole Red Reaper incident happened because they were ALREADY loosening said restrictions. You even get to see Darth Ikoral killing a Zabrak Sith Lord and on the Imperial Agent storyline, there's this Kaleesh who becomes Sith Lord as well. I believe his name was Lord Razor or something.

Quote:
And how do you screw over members of other species more than, well, everything the Empire does?
By claiming NOT to be like the Empire and yet have places like Belsavis clearly showing otherwise? Project Noble Focus is an outstanding example of what I'm saying, not to mention the Cathar Prince I already mentioned.

Quote:
I originally thought that it'd have to do with the Republic's corruption and that the Empire wouldn't allow itself to sink as low into that as the Republic does... but on Nar Shaddaa, the Empire is totally fine with working with the Hutt Cartel, and indeed seems to have a somewhat better relationship with it than the Republic does.
Why wouldn't they? The Hutt Cartel, despite being a minor power, is a power nonetheless and having the Empire going against the Cartel, when they have their hands full with the Republic, would be silly to say the least.

Also, last I checked, the Cartel and the Empire have a lot of in common, starting with one thing: The endorsement of slavery. The Republic feels otherwise.

Quote:
And then there's the question of why I wouldn't just join Darth Malgus when he went off to do his thing. Plus the minor but still irksome problem of how it makes no real sense for Kallig to be a Twi'lek, as the lekku could never fit into his mask.
There's always Sith alchemy. Plus, can we even trust Lord Kallig or what he says? How do we know he's telling the truth to begin with?

Xilizhra's Avatar


Xilizhra
09.04.2013 , 07:06 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
If you played Makeb already, then you know that the Empire is trying to loosen those restrictions, so your point is kinda moot, not to mention that the whole Red Reaper incident happened because they were ALREADY loosening said restrictions. You even get to see Darth Ikoral killing a Zabrak Sith Lord and on the Imperial Agent storyline, there's this Kaleesh who becomes Sith Lord as well. I believe his name was Lord Razor or something.



By claiming NOT to be like the Empire and yet have places like Belsavis clearly showing otherwise? Project Noble Focus is an outstanding example of what I'm saying, not to mention the Cathar Prince I already mentioned.



Why wouldn't they? The Hutt Cartel, despite being a minor power, is a power nonetheless and having the Empire going against the Cartel, when they have their hands full with the Republic, would be silly to say the least.

Also, last I checked, the Cartel and the Empire have a lot of in common, starting with one thing: The endorsement of slavery. The Republic feels otherwise.



There's always Sith alchemy. Plus, can we even trust Lord Kallig or what he says? How do we know he's telling the truth to begin with?
I've not played Makeb yet; actually, I'm only as far as Tatooine. I can understand the Republic issues with Belsavis and the like, but I can never really see her liking the idea of slavery much, having come from it herself, and I pictured her as detesting the Hutts.

NightshadeBlue's Avatar


NightshadeBlue
09.04.2013 , 08:03 PM | #6
I have a female Twi'lek inquisitor toon and I think I can answer some of these questions from my point of view of how I developed her based on my research of the SW universe and tying it in to my character

Let's begin with the slavery thing. Your character, like mine was a slave. But we were also discovered to be force sensitive. That's an important thing to consider among the Empire because the Sith Emperor's edict is for all force sensitives who are under the jurisdiction of the Empire to be sent to Korriban to be trained as Sith or die. Since you were already on Korriban when your force sensitivity was discovered you didn't have a choice in the matter, so off your toon went. The Sith Code tells us is that the power of the force shall break our chains and set us free, and as such us being force sensitive freed our toons from the chains of slavery. Tying it in with my toon it is very common for twi'lek females to be used as slaves or dancers because of their beauty. She does detest slavery but at the same time slavery among her people is so common it has become an institution of sorts, and a very profitable one at that.

The Empire's relationship with alien species is complicated. Yes there are members of the Empire (both sith and non-sith) who are xenophobic however at the same time you have two alien species entrenched into the Empire, the Chiss and Sith Purebloods. So it's not that they completely turn their backs on aliens. The Sith species were discovered by the dark Jedi long before the empire existed. The dark Jedi discovered the force sensitivity of the species and subjected them and made their home with them on Korriban. Eventually they interbred with them. The Chiss became part of the Empire after they surrendered to them and became allies. But they still have their own culture and society separate from the Empire. My toon is aware of the xenophobia persistent within the empire and is reminded of it. But she stands her ground and throws it back at them, telling them their attitude stinks or expressing her discontent of their views. She's along the thought of I am alien, I am Sith, suck it up and deal with it. She can care less about their views.

At face value there is very little reason for an alien slave to be loyal to the Empire and my toon is the same way. My toon actually can care less about the Empire but she does have some loyalty to it. After all it was the Empire that took her out of slavery because of the Emperor's edict, and after proving herself in the tombs of Korriban she has a place among the Empire, despite her status as a alien and ex-slave. But she does want to see some changes and it is her hope among her position in the Sith Order she can nudge those changes.

On the issue with Kalig. It is actually a simple one to resolve. Twi'leks and humans can interbreed and produce hybrids. It was made canon with Shaeeah and Jek Lawquane in The Clone Wars series episode "The Deserter". Their mother was a Twil'lek named Suu Lawquane and their father was a unknown human.
We fight for honor and for the Republic!
Republic Honor

Euphrosyne's Avatar


Euphrosyne
09.04.2013 , 09:04 PM | #7
Apparently, every alien in the Empire is Erhard Milch.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"

Xilizhra's Avatar


Xilizhra
09.04.2013 , 11:03 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
Apparently, every alien in the Empire is Erhard Milch.
Except for the Chiss, whose Agents seem to hold dual loyalties to the Empire and the Ascendency. However, the straightness of that combined with the Empire's general unpleasantness keeps making me not really want to continue further, and only the interestingness of the general plot and my interest in uncovering dark side lore keeps me continuing.

NightshadeBlue's Avatar


NightshadeBlue
09.05.2013 , 01:57 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
Except for the Chiss, whose Agents seem to hold dual loyalties to the Empire and the Ascendency. However, the straightness of that combined with the Empire's general unpleasantness keeps making me not really want to continue further, and only the interestingness of the general plot and my interest in uncovering dark side lore keeps me continuing.
That could be something to get into character for. Have no loyalties to the Empire, rather use them as a vehicle to help your character uncover dark side lore. Would be appropriate given that inquisitors consider themselves masters of the dark side.
We fight for honor and for the Republic!
Republic Honor

Irongut's Avatar


Irongut
09.05.2013 , 06:25 AM | #10
You don't have to be loyal to the Empire to be a part of it or to decide that furthering its goals also furthers your own. My Inquisitor wants power. He gains more and more power to put his past as a slave behind him and make those who made him and his family slaves pay. That doesn't really fit in with the Republic. For now that means pretending to be a loyal member of the Empire but eventually he will rise up, overthrow the Dark Council and the Emperor and establish his own rule.

As for your issue with Kallig being a Twilek, who says he is? You are a Twilek but there's no reason why your distant ancestors couldn't be a Twilek female and a human, Sith or other species male called Kallig. That would even help explain why the descendant of a famous Sith lord was an unknown slave.
◄[|||||||█[☼]█[███████████████████████████████████)