Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class for new person to TOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Class for new person to TOR

Fidelicatessen
09.11.2013 , 05:33 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Gelotri View Post
If I might make a suggestion, don't make the same mistake many fellas make when they wish to bring their better half into a game, especially if they aren't regular gamers. Don't force her into being a healer. Healer classes can be stressful for new players due to the expectations placed on them to keep the group alive. My advice would be to let her choose her own class and you build your character around hers. It will keep the stress (and arguments) down and allow her to concentrate on beating the baddies down. If a healer is desirable use a companion or build a healer yourself (which you can keep her up and fighting instead of the other way). This may have the added effect of keeping her interest. Any class that is DPS ranged may be better suited for new players.
This is something to think about, for sure.

That said, my wife first played a healer in an MMO and thanks me every time we start a new MMO for teaching her at the start how to heal. Also, this MMO's healing classes have it *very* easy compared to some others.

If you start a BH/Powertech and your wife starts an IA/Operative, you get a healing companion very early and she can focus on DPSing if she likes, but will have the ability to heal if she wants to learn it. Best of both worlds, I'd say.

monkeydud
09.11.2013 , 05:40 AM | #12
Personally I would go with Scoundrel for a new player.

1. Can take cover, thus reducing damage taken
2. Some nice close up abilities if you get in trouble ie : Blaster Whip, Dirty Kick, Flash grenade,Back Blast
3.If you are get in serious trouble you can use Disappearing act at level 22 (exit combat and disapper)
4.Take Dirty fighting tree for some nice DoT and Bleed Effects
5.Most importantly you can still be a back up healer even if you dont take the sawbones (healing tree)
6.Self stealth - VERY useful for soloing.

Granted you wont be super effective as a healer BUT you get some nice DPS abilities, extra heals never hurt in a party and you can take the time to learn about who to heal and when without the full responsibility for the party.

I am currently playing a Scoundrel (Level 23) and am in fact trying a hybrid of Dirty fighting and Sawbones. I mostly list as a DPS in Flashpoints but sometimes list as a healer to slowly get used to it.

Personally Tanks and Healers seem to get alot of blame in groups with DPS usually being immune from the blame as long as they dont jump the gun (heh) and attack before the Tank.

TORHEAD - SCOUNDREL ABILITIES