Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

KevMeup
07.19.2014 , 02:17 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
So from what you showed on Vector, DPS DOT willpower characters deal the most damage then? That would mean Nadia would deal the same kind of damage too right?

If possible, could you make a test on all the companions?
Jaesa Willsaam Armor Pen 1100 dps (better geared)
Jaesa Willsaam DOT 1320 dps (better geared)

This was using a normal saber instead of a 2hand, which would bring her back up to Vector. I'd assume she is the same as Nadia and the Jedi night shadow companion. The DOTs are applied randomly, so sometimes damage can go up all the way to 1600 and drop down to 1250. It's consistently higher than the armor pen though.

I'll keep updating the parsing as I get them and I'll see if I can make a general damage chart for them once I have some good conclusions.
Kevgent - <Show Me Your Crits> - The Harbinger
My companion parses over 5k dps in HM Star Fortress, does yours?
Companion Use and Optimization Guide

MystbladeWA
07.19.2014 , 11:14 PM | #22
Interesting that the Vector/Nadia parses are so high? Were they significantly better geared than ur HK?

I had always assumed that HK was just the better dps comp all round. Does this throw some uncertainty on that assumption?
Hold'My'Beer Chill
I'Got'This Legacy

KevMeup
07.20.2014 , 02:15 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by MystbladeWA View Post
Interesting that the Vector/Nadia parses are so high? Were they significantly better geared than ur HK?

I had always assumed that HK was just the better dps comp all round. Does this throw some uncertainty on that assumption?
I did my best to account for gear differences in my latest update and list each type in order of dps, it's a bit rough though still.

I believe that evenly geared HK is the highest single target Ranged dps, from my testing Melee will always be ahead. HK does have a 30% kill shot that would raise his dps up slightly as well if I wasn't parsing on a dummy.

For my operative, now that I swapped from ranged dps(ensign and HK) to Vector and geared him all out, I can solo Czerka Meltdown, before I used to hit some enrage timers if I went Heals. I definitely recommend giving melee a shot, especially if you have a legacy set of uber gear to pass over

yoomazir
07.20.2014 , 04:00 PM | #24
Another thing, I've read that companions like Torian, Akaavi or Yuun, which are melee DPS with Aim as their primary stat are not dealing their most optimal damage because some of their attacks are Wilpower based, could you shed us a light about this with some parses please?

KevMeup
07.20.2014 , 04:50 PM | #25
Another thing, I've read that companions like Torian, Akaavi or Yuun, which are melee DPS with Aim as their primary stat are not dealing their most optimal damage because some of their attacks are Wilpower based, could you shed us a light about this with some parses please?
I just ran a parse and confirmed, all of Torian's attacks are Tech or Physical, I would assume if he did a Force attack, it might be willpower based. One challenge with these companions is you'll always have to craft their mainhand weapon, since there are no drops or com purchases for a melee aim mainhand. I'd guess that people think they do less dps because they don't take the time to setup their mainhand correctly. Main and offhand make a big difference for companions since most of their damage comes from basic attacks.

yoomazir
07.20.2014 , 05:47 PM | #26
Yeah, those devs surely derped with those companions, I made a couple of threads a while back suggesting the possibility to extract Aim barrels from maihand gun to put them in the companions melee weapons, had zero answers.
They could have just made something like "bound to mainhand" instead of being bound to mainhand AND ranged...

TACeMossie
07.20.2014 , 05:54 PM | #27
The only glitched companions (to my knowledge) are Yuun and Sgt Rusk. Everyone else has all of their abilities using their main stat.
In other words, as a Knight you're better off with T701 or HK51 for your RDPS companion, and as a trooper your MDPS companion is as good as your RDPS options (Jorgan, Forex, HK51)
ANYONE ELSE still has their melee companion as their best DPS option.

Though im a little surprised they didn't stuff up and make Ensign Temples "force" ability use force power - but at the same time Im glad they didn't
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf

KevMeup
07.20.2014 , 08:07 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TACeMossie View Post
The only glitched companions (to my knowledge) are Yuun and Sgt Rusk.
This has been fixed. I just tested with my legacy set and 156 mainhand on both:
Aric Jorgan 760 dps
Yuun 960 dps

TACeMossie
07.20.2014 , 08:16 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by KevMeup View Post
This has been fixed. I just tested with my legacy set and 156 mainhand on both:
Aric Jorgan 760 dps
Yuun 960 dps
That would be an unlucky string of not-crits for your jorgan then, because mine in 156s was much closer to 900 dps, and same with Yuun

Eh im still using HK51 with Ultimate comm mods/enhancements and 156 armorings. Stuck augments on everything and he's pulling 1.2k+ dps because of his augmented gear (also his mainhand is a 180 one on a legacy bind sniper, and next week his offhand should also be a 180 one on a legacy bind vibroknife)
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf

KevMeup
07.20.2014 , 08:21 PM | #30
I did 200k dps on operations boss with both, exact same gear. Yuun did spike to 1000 once, but otherwise he was a steady 960, dot spec. Armor pen spec is lower.