Combine Mirror Class Subforums?

oaceen

So I've been thinking about this for a while now, and before I made a suggestion in the suggestions forum, I thought that I would start a dialogue among the people who frequent the class forums.

Basically the suggestion is as the title states: combine mirror classes into one subforum.

e.g. a subforum for Marauder / Sentinel, a separate one for Commando / Mercenary, etc.

A few reasons why I would like this:

• it would help propagate discussions about inherently similar topics

which to me is the biggest reason to do this. i think it would help a lot in the class-forum discussions, theorycrafting, etc. i know a lot of people already jump around between mirror forums, but not everyone does.

• it would help with finding / creating guides and making them suitable for everyone (ie. more guides would probably have mirror translations built in / would be found in the same place)

A few concerns I have with this suggestion:

• some mirror classes don't exactly line up, such as mercenary / commando and gunslinger / sniper in that one AC uses one weapon and the mirror dual wields (this to me is the biggest concern)
  • the base-class subforums would not line up exactly when discussing the class stories
  • cross-faction terminology might be confusing for some
  • 'ew, you mean i have to share a forum with x (insert your hated faction of choice here)?!'

I hope that we can at least discuss about the merits (or lack thereof) of this suggestion in this thread.

If the community is on board with it, I'll make a similar thread in the suggestions forum. If community is widely against it, we'll let it die a slow, horrible death here and now and be done with it.

Some things to consider in your response:

What are some concerns with this suggestion? What are some other reasons for doing this (other than what i listed)?

Do you agree or disagree with the proposal and why?

Edited by oaceen

• 2 weeks later...
So I've been thinking about this for a while now, and before I made a suggestion in the suggestions forum, I thought that I would start a dialogue among the people who frequent the class forums.

Basically the suggestion is as the title states: combine mirror classes into one subforum.

e.g. a subforum for Marauder / Sentinel, a separate one for Commando / Mercenary, etc.

A few reasons why I would like this:

• it would help propagate discussions about inherently similar topics

which to me is the biggest reason to do this. i think it would help a lot in the class-forum discussions, theorycrafting, etc. i know a lot of people already jump around between mirror forums, but not everyone does.

• it would help with finding / creating guides and making them suitable for everyone (ie. more guides would probably have mirror translations built in / would be found in the same place)

A few concerns I have with this suggestion:

• some mirror classes don't exactly line up, such as mercenary / commando and gunslinger / sniper in that one AC uses one weapon and the mirror dual wields (this to me is the biggest concern)
  • the base-class subforums would not line up exactly when discussing the class stories
  • cross-faction terminology might be confusing for some
  • 'ew, you mean i have to share a forum with x (insert your hated faction of choice here)?!'

I hope that we can at least discuss about the merits (or lack thereof) of this suggestion in this thread.

If the community is on board with it, I'll make a similar thread in the suggestions forum. If community is widely against it, we'll let it die a slow, horrible death here and now and be done with it.

Some things to consider in your response:

What are some concerns with this suggestion? What are some other reasons for doing this (other than what i listed)?

Do you agree or disagree with the proposal and why?

Well, I can't think of any reason not to, apart from what you've already pointed out. Except for one. This is supposed to gather guides between the two mirror classes together, right? Make it easier for someone unfamiliar with the class to find what they're looking for. But if they find the wrong guide, there's no guarantee that they'd know how each skill translates. I know that I still get pretty confused whenever people are talking about Shadow skills, despite having a relatively well levelled Assassin.

Or maybe I'm just seeing mountains where there are only anthills.

Well, I can't think of any reason not to, apart from what you've already pointed out. Except for one. This is supposed to gather guides between the two mirror classes together, right? Make it easier for someone unfamiliar with the class to find what they're looking for. But if they find the wrong guide, there's no guarantee that they'd know how each skill translates. I know that I still get pretty confused whenever people are talking about Shadow skills, despite having a relatively well levelled Assassin.

Or maybe I'm just seeing mountains where there are only anthills.

this was something i figured would organically 'take care of itself'

ie: if all the mirrors were together, we'd have people in those forums to help translate or the guides would be written initially with all of the translations in place.

i know that if i had posted my guide in the operative/scoundrel forum, i would have done a lot more initial translating instead of just having a key

either way, there doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion on this (and therefore, i suspect, not a lot of interest), so i doubt it will go anywhere.

Edited by oaceen

I am not sure it would work out so nicely if they suddenly did that. At least the impression I get is that the mirror classes' communities seem different enough that they warrant seperate forums or that they like their own identity. Though it is clear that cross faction communication has seemingly worked out ok for drafting class questions. Edited by af_raptura

I think this is a good idea and the pros outweigh the cons.

[*] Mirror that don't line up exactly - While important, I think this is something that can easily be addressed in appropriate discussions. Gameplay discussion will not always touch on this.

[*] Terminology - I agree this might be confusing for new players. A stickied index of mirror class terms would help this and would be easy to put together. Regulars tend to know the mirror class abilities (probably not every talent though).

[*] Class stories - I don't see a way around this one other than maintaining a base class forum of some kind, perhaps under the "Story and Lore" or in a "Base class" section within classes. Maybe that's just too complicated for such a simple issue.

Overall, combining them would make it easier to find discussions relevant to gameplay and share guides / tips / whatever. I think that is a massive benefit.

It would also help if there was better stewardship over the forums in general (help with stickies, FAQs, links etc) from the moderation staff.

Edited by ebado