Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn

LordSkyKnight
09.01.2013 , 09:56 AM | #21
I have been playing it a lot over this last week. A lot of misconceptions on this thread on how the game actually plays. The game engine runs fantastic, even with tons of people on screen. The environments are breathtaking. You also have weather and night/day cycles. Textures on objects also look fantastic. Gear looks really detailed, even at the low levels. One thing that always bothered me about swtor was how crappy the textures on gear looked.

Abilities don't root you, you just have to stand still for casting spells. I play an archer and can run all over the place while kiting enemies. No problems firing off arrows while moving. Love the class system, you only have to play one character and you can pick up all the classes in the game. You can hold gear for multiple classes and switch back and forth at will outside of combat. Crafting seems a lot more deeper than this game, a lot more involved.

Yes it's another theme park MMO but there are a lot of different leveling paths to change things up. Also a lot of ways to gain XP. You have the main story quest line, side quests in all the areas, class quests, area events, group quests / dungeon runs, also quests that are timed and solo called levequests. Plus you can just kill mobs for XP.

There are issues that some people might get angry about. Servers are packed right now and it's a problem logging in at peak hours. Some might not like the game play. The global cooldown is a lot slower. The old school players will like this, it's not a keyboard faceroll like the current crop of MMOs. No skill trees (which I like). My big thing I love about the game is the gorgeous environments with the class changing system. No more 800 alts, just swap mainhand item / weapon to change your class. The game remembers your hotbar setup for each class.

Not everyone will like it but whatever, different games for different people. Plus no damn cash shop taking up 90% of the development teams time. All subscription, all content into the game.
Soon ()

I love the people who say they don't take the game too seriously but post on the forum from sunup to sundown.

Technohic
09.01.2013 , 12:19 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by LordSkyKnight View Post
I have been playing it a lot over this last week. A lot of misconceptions on this thread on how the game actually plays. The game engine runs fantastic, even with tons of people on screen. The environments are breathtaking. You also have weather and night/day cycles. Textures on objects also look fantastic. Gear looks really detailed, even at the low levels. One thing that always bothered me about swtor was how crappy the textures on gear looked.

Abilities don't root you, you just have to stand still for casting spells. I play an archer and can run all over the place while kiting enemies. No problems firing off arrows while moving. Love the class system, you only have to play one character and you can pick up all the classes in the game. You can hold gear for multiple classes and switch back and forth at will outside of combat. Crafting seems a lot more deeper than this game, a lot more involved.

Yes it's another theme park MMO but there are a lot of different leveling paths to change things up. Also a lot of ways to gain XP. You have the main story quest line, side quests in all the areas, class quests, area events, group quests / dungeon runs, also quests that are timed and solo called levequests. Plus you can just kill mobs for XP.

There are issues that some people might get angry about. Servers are packed right now and it's a problem logging in at peak hours. Some might not like the game play. The global cooldown is a lot slower. The old school players will like this, it's not a keyboard faceroll like the current crop of MMOs. No skill trees (which I like). My big thing I love about the game is the gorgeous environments with the class changing system. No more 800 alts, just swap mainhand item / weapon to change your class. The game remembers your hotbar setup for each class.

Not everyone will like it but whatever, different games for different people. Plus no damn cash shop taking up 90% of the development teams time. All subscription, all content into the game.
Sums it up nicely. It really is different strokes for different folks. FF ARR wasn't even on my radar until.I started seeing some bad reviews and realized a lot of peoples cons are pros for me
Technohic - Sniper | Techno-Hic - Gunslinger | Cihonhcet - Scoundrel
Karnrage - Assassin | Egarnrak - Sage
Techen - Merc | Nehcet - Vanguard | Carnrage - Marauder | Egarnrac - Guardian
POT5

Ashuranrx
09.06.2013 , 08:02 AM | #23
Half of my guild went inactive because of FF14.

I think FF14 has potential to come out ahead of its competitors. It implemented a lot of the facebook games elements that girls love, like farming, house building, decorating... etc. with good graphics and systems too. That is a whole new demographic of audience that no other MMO has tapped into before. My wife got interested in FF14 because of these elements, which may eventually drag me into it too...

That space PvP better come out soon, or SWTOR is going to quickly lose ground.

Callaron
09.06.2013 , 08:23 AM | #24
I haven't tried it, but it's a shame that they are having such server trouble - at this point it looks like one of those MMO's that launched with a botched start.
But at least they are being decent about it and giving people refunds.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Technohic
09.06.2013 , 12:26 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashuranrx View Post

I think FF14 has potential to come out ahead of its competitors. It implemented a lot of the facebook games elements that girls love, like farming, house building, decorating... etc. with good graphics and systems too. That is a whole new demographic of audience that no other MMO has tapped into before. My wife got interested in FF14 because of these elements, which may eventually drag me into it too...

That stuff is not new to an MMO. Ultima had most of it long before there was a Facebook. It's just been a forgotten art in MMOs and it is rather new to the easier accessed them park style MMO as far as I am aware.

Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
I haven't tried it, but it's a shame that they are having such server trouble - at this point it looks like one of those MMO's that launched with a botched start.
But at least they are being decent about it and giving people refunds.
Server trouble seems to have been fixed. Now the big complaint is not being able to find a hard copy and digital downloads are suspended for the time being. It really is a good game, just no PvP yet, but it's coming. Ironic thing is in this game, I had been playing with my only interest being not much more than PvP. In FF ARR, I don't really care.
Technohic - Sniper | Techno-Hic - Gunslinger | Cihonhcet - Scoundrel
Karnrage - Assassin | Egarnrak - Sage
Techen - Merc | Nehcet - Vanguard | Carnrage - Marauder | Egarnrac - Guardian
POT5

LFox
11.12.2013 , 12:56 PM | #26
I am a huge FF fan. I actually really enjoyed FF XI. All the reviewers keep saying FFXIV is a huge step forward, but as far as I can tell its a huge step back. For starters they totally scrapped half the classes/jobs .... I was a Thief in FFXI, now that class doesn't exist. You are basically a fighter or a magic user (yes their is variation within those 2 fields black mage / white mage ... gladiator / lancer .... but in general the class options suck). Anyone who was around for SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) should know scrapping classes ticks off a user base like nothing else. Second, They stuck with the formula of 3 cities where you start based on class .... This makes the world as a whole feel really small. Third, No factions ..... The Elder Scrolls Online game found a solution to this .... I wish FF had as well.

LFox
11.12.2013 , 12:59 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Ashuranrx View Post

Star Wars Galaxies had that demographic and did it better than anyone I've seen to date. Then they scrapped it all and tried to turn it into a first person shooter.

LFox
11.12.2013 , 02:04 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Hockaday View Post
lol what? FF11 wasn't even a blip on the map. As for SW:TOR at launch...yeah, there were queues. That's about it. It was really smooth (besides the graphical glitches, but we're not talking about that). Now, if you want to discuss their server sizes etc...that I can get behind.
Yes FF11 was huge in its time, it was pre-Wow, Pre-SWG, pre almost all MMO's except Everquest. In its prime it was 2nd largest among MMO's (behind everquest).

LFox
11.12.2013 , 02:05 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by LFox View Post
Yes FF11 was huge in its time, it was pre-Wow, Pre-SWG, pre almost all MMO's except Everquest. In its prime it was 2nd largest among MMO's (behind everquest).
The problem is - FF14 does not seem to be much more than a graphical improvement on FF11, with a whole bunch of classes and content removed. After 12 years they've stepped backwards.