Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn

angel_dust
08.27.2013 , 02:32 PM | #1
Just came out today, I figured since pvp is one foot down the grave in this game, Iíll try out a new MMO to fulfill my gaming needs. I really only pvp now in swtor due to work and family, but ever since the announcement of the removal of rank 8vs8, and tons of pve content on the supposedly big pvp patch, I knew the pvp in this game is pretty much dead or close to being dead. Arenas is cool for 2 or 3 matches, but then itís very very VERY boring.

So if anyone else decides to try it out, let me know

ImpactHound
08.27.2013 , 02:34 PM | #2
Thread in progress here on page 2.

Quraswren
08.27.2013 , 02:57 PM | #3
Way to many reported server problems to play that game.

Just today they stopped all new character creations on the JP severs cause Americans were making toons over there causing problem?

WHY you ask we're American players making toons there?

They can't seem to play on Canada server here (which is where our servers are hosted) Cause the servers here have recently had a cap placed on them and you cannot get in to play. That, along with a no idle time out feature in game, gamers have learned that they should never log out, even when they go to work. They might not get back in later that night if they do log out.

It's been a rather cluster F since launch.

However, the game play is decent if you actually got to play. Nothing amazing but decent.

Hockaday
08.27.2013 , 03:43 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Quraswren View Post

Just today they stopped all new character creations on the JP severs cause Americans were making toons over there causing problem?

They can't seem to play on Canada server here (which is where our servers are hosted) Cause the servers here have recently had a cap placed on them and you cannot get in to play. That, along with a no idle time out feature in game, gamers have learned that they should never log out, even when they go to work. They might not get back in later that night if they do log out.

However, the game play is decent if you actually got to play. Nothing amazing but decent.
lol, I called it. PoS is PoS.
The Empire is not evil, and the Republic is not good...it is all a matter of opinion.
Nerf Hungering! It's too OP.=Bartle Test Results:= CE VIP
{Reward-Driven 85%} {Exploratory -60%} {Physical 32%} {Thoughtful -26%} {Social -60%} {Competitive 100%}

Trevalon
08.27.2013 , 04:22 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Quraswren View Post

As someone who played SWTOR at launch and FFARR at launch - SWTOR was worse. Yes they are having server issues but there are a TON more people in FF than SWTOR ever hoped for. FF11 was one of the biggest MMO's out there and it seems they are all jumping to FFARR.

Before you throw stones SE's way - remember your throwing them out of Bioware's Glass house...SWTOR had a terrible launch too.

As far as the game goes - it is really completely jaw-dropping amazing what they did to FF14 - I beta tested Original FF14 and I screamed and kicked all over the beta forums about how absolutely horrible that game was - but fanbois went crazy on the beta forums and look what happened. ARR is pretty much an entirely new game - They even rewrote the Storyline saying that the world is made because Bahamut got really PO'd and basically destroyed the entire world...lol - the analogy to the RL situations of FF is not lost...

I am super impressed with FFARR, it really is pretty dang good - lvl 1 - 15 is pretty standard MMO stuff, but once ya hit 15 and get out into the world and start running dungeons - It really is pretty great.

Callaron
08.27.2013 , 04:30 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Trevalon View Post
As someone who played SWTOR at launch and FFARR at launch - SWTOR was worse. Yes they are having server issues but there are a TON more people in FF than SWTOR ever hoped for. FF11 was one of the biggest MMO's out there and it seems they are all jumping to FFARR.
SWTOR had ridiculously long queues during the first days of launch, but that's about it as far as people being "unable" to play goes - they never had to lock down character creation or something.
If you want an example of "worse" you might want to look at GW2, who actually stopped selling the game for a few weeks because their infrastructure couldn't handle the huge amount of players.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

kidatwood
08.27.2013 , 04:33 PM | #7

Before you throw stones SE's way - remember your throwing them out of Bioware's Glass house...SWTOR had a terrible launch too.

As far as the game goes - it is really completely jaw-dropping amazing what they did to FF14 - I beta tested Original FF14 and I screamed and kicked all over the beta forums about how absolutely horrible that game was - but fanbois went crazy on the beta forums and look what happened. ARR is pretty much an entirely new game - They even rewrote the Storyline saying that the world is made because Bahamut got really PO'd and basically destroyed the entire world...lol - the analogy to the RL situations of FF is not lost..

I am super impressed with FFARR, it really is pretty dang good - lvl 1 - 15 is pretty standard MMO stuff, but once ya hit 15 and get out into the world and start running dungeons - It really is pretty great.
I have to disagree Swotor had a smooth launch they even boasted about it. But I've only had one other mmo launch under my belt and that was Swg. Which was horrid!!!

Hockaday
08.27.2013 , 05:16 PM | #8

As far as the game goes - it is really completely jaw-dropping amazing what they did to FF14 - I beta tested Original FF14 and I screamed and kicked all over the beta forums about how absolutely horrible that game was - but fanbois went crazy on the beta forums and look what happened. ARR is pretty much an entirely new game - They even rewrote the Storyline saying that the world is made because Bahamut got really PO'd and basically destroyed the entire world...lol - the analogy to the RL situations of FF is not lost...

lol what? FF11 wasn't even a blip on the map. As for SW:TOR at launch...yeah, there were queues. That's about it. It was really smooth (besides the graphical glitches, but we're not talking about that). Now, if you want to discuss their server sizes etc...that I can get behind.
The Empire is not evil, and the Republic is not good...it is all a matter of opinion.
Nerf Hungering! It's too OP.=Bartle Test Results:= CE VIP
{Reward-Driven 85%} {Exploratory -60%} {Physical 32%} {Thoughtful -26%} {Social -60%} {Competitive 100%}

Glumish
08.27.2013 , 05:30 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
If you want an example of "worse" you might want to look at GW2, who actually stopped selling the game for a few weeks because their infrastructure couldn't handle the huge amount of players.
WoW did the same thing.

Not only that but their servers were constantly going down for years to come. I remember my server having full days off constantly during Wrath of the Lich King.

Proof: http://www.threadmeters.com/wow/nhMO...nd_down_again/

Also, GW2 has great PvP compared to the games mentioned here. Arenanet is one of those mythical companies that focuses purely on PvP.
Quote: Originally Posted by jedip_enguin View Post
However, the fanboys in here are already so excited if they fart they will jump to lightspeed themselves, so if I may I offer some sage words of advice...

Check your expectations.

hadoken
08.27.2013 , 06:43 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
Thread in progress here on page 2.
The 'root when you do an ability' thing reminds me of Aion. No thanks.