Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How can this game lack innovation so much...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
How can this game lack innovation so much...

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
08.23.2013 , 08:21 AM | #11
MMO gamers are inconsistent. They claim to want innovation, but mercilessly criticize it when it is given to them. For example, DCUO's combat, GW2's lack of the trinity, EQ Next's lack of aggro. It's simple, play the game you enjoy. Stop worrying about whether it is successful, whether it has this or that. If you are having fun, then keep playing.

OP, no one cares about your review of the game. That sounds harsher than I intend. What I mean is that the democratization that the Internet has given to opinion means that everyone can publish their thoughts. Ironically, this makes those opinions worthless without knowing where the author is coming from.

malistyx's Avatar


malistyx
08.23.2013 , 11:26 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
I mean no disrespect to SWG fans and correct me if I'm wrong but did those innovations and "amazing systems" keep SWG from shutting down?

And please don't tell me you believe that the sole reason for SWG's death was SWTOR.
As if any company in their right mind would shut down something lucrative for something new and risky.
I ll give you my opinion on this, whether you accept it or not it is up to you. SWG was way ahead of its time in terms of ideas. If I list them down it will take a while and that is not the point. At the same time it suffered from terrible management decisions and to some extend like SWTOR was trying to chase a a utopia without first securing its base. Also when SWG was released those ideas could not be properly implemented as the technology was not there. Now it is available and yet SWTOR chose to ignore this, to the disappointment of many of us, prefering instead system used in that other game, which in fact will always be better in that other game.

Now regarding SWG's death. Was SWTOR the only reason that SWG ended, imo NO. Was it the main reason YES. What I mean is that SWG after 8 years of running had a small player base that had endured all the hardships an MMO could possible have and yet had remained faithful to it. Also keep in mind that until the shutdown was announced SWG still had these numbers with subscription.

If SWG had been any other MMO without the SW logo, it would have continued to exist and proof of that are games like Vanguard which belong to the same company with probably even smaller player base, but still running. It was the contractual issues behind the SW licence along with SWG's low income production yet high risk for SWTOR that caused it to shut down. Business wise it was a good decision from LA part as now SWTOR even with F2P would have about two thirds of the population it has as most SWG players would have returned back to SWG as they usually did.

Now what you should be asking yourself is how lucrative SWTOR actually is? Investment wise I believe it is a huge flop. SWTOR within a year lost half of its population and although F2P did manage to stabilize things and even get a slight increase, it does not even come near to being lucrative as you say. SWG in its darkest hour (NGE) and one of the worst decisions in MMO history, managed to keep half its population with subscription. Can you imagine SWTOR without F2P?

If both games were still active you would have seen an even worse fate for SWTOR, while SWG would have died quietly eventually of old age.

malistyx's Avatar


malistyx
08.23.2013 , 11:41 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
That's because the model from that other game actually works. Why change something that clearly works, you see this game innovates itself in the best way it can as the rest of the market is absolutely cutthroat. The fact it still has a strong sub base and money to spend on new content is evidence of this. So before you go and write a baseless review remember that this game is still young but if it continues on the road it is going. It will be more successful.
If you honestly believe that down the road it will be more successful than by all means believe it. I really hope you are right and I am wrong about this.

To me if SWTOR did not have SW skin and it was not the ONLY SW option in the MMO field its days would have been numbered, as it offers nothing different than what is out there in numerous iterations. Will it die soon, NO. They will not let it as it will go down in history for that. Will it be more successful in the future; I hope so, but I do not think so, at best it will keep its numbers and lose population from age. But I do not see how it can be like EVE for instance and grow numbers with the model they are following.

malistyx's Avatar


malistyx
08.23.2013 , 11:49 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
MMO gamers are inconsistent. They claim to want innovation, but mercilessly criticize it when it is given to them. For example, DCUO's combat, GW2's lack of the trinity, EQ Next's lack of aggro. It's simple, play the game you enjoy. Stop worrying about whether it is successful, whether it has this or that. If you are having fun, then keep playing.

OP, no one cares about your review of the game. That sounds harsher than I intend. What I mean is that the democratization that the Internet has given to opinion means that everyone can publish their thoughts. Ironically, this makes those opinions worthless without knowing where the author is coming from.
As I mentioned in the beginning of my OP, I wanted to write this for sometime now. I wanted this not to convince everyone else, I know it is not going to happen, but mainly for myself. I do not believe in the direction that is being followed for this game, I do not think it will lead anywhere good. For me SWTOR is the only SW option out there and that is why I stick around. Before eventually leaving this game I just wanted to give one last shot in the dark in case it changes anything. If it does not, which is what is going to happen, at least I tried.

malistyx's Avatar


malistyx
08.23.2013 , 11:55 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
Coping "that one game" has given this game more players at its low point than SWG ever had at its peak. While I'd love to see more sandbox like elements, the numbers don't lie, Themepark games are exponentially more popular than Sand Box games.
True numbers do not lie. How do explain the industry is turning away from themeparks and back to sandbox or at the very least hybrid?

MSchuyler's Avatar


MSchuyler
08.23.2013 , 12:38 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by malistyx View Post
True numbers do not lie. How do explain the industry is turning away from themeparks and back to sandbox or at the very least hybrid?
Prove your contention.

Mistress_Ivi's Avatar


Mistress_Ivi
08.23.2013 , 01:16 PM | #17
This game looks great. It does.

This games combat is fun. Really, it is...

However. The game engine, aside from looking nice and having some interesting options - lacks - bucketloads, when it comes to the game it took over from.

From an MMO-player stand point, who usually plays fantasy styles over Sci-fi's ... this game took over from SWG, the only other Sci-fi MMO I've ever loved. It took it's place but took little to nothing from it.

We only JUST got animal mounts coming into the game... welldone, that's an easy one.

Still looking for a housing system (impossible for this engine to support)
Still looking for a decent space system (in the works, apparently)
Still looking for more social / non-combat things (Huttball isn't non combat and treasure hunting has combat involved).

When you corner the market on something, as is the very case with any starwars MMO (first SWG, now SWTOR) - you make sure you keep the previous (if a previous exists, which in this case DOES) generation of players happy. You take the winning aspects of that game and intergrate them into your game.

Want a new advanced class for each of the current 4(8) ? Try Traders (way better crew skill options, gathering etc) and Beast masters/makers. That'd be a start.
Former SWG Player and Bloody Proud of it!

malistyx's Avatar


malistyx
08.23.2013 , 01:31 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by MSchuyler View Post
Prove your contention.
Just read MMORPG.com articles on the subject. If you are not convinced check the major upcoming titles and the Hype meter. Check how many of those are or claim to be sandboxes.

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
08.23.2013 , 09:59 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by malistyx View Post
Just read MMORPG.com articles on the subject. If you are not convinced check the major upcoming titles and the Hype meter. Check how many of those are or claim to be sandboxes.
That is not good enough to base your contention. Review sites like that only give so much non biased information. To me a MMO is judged by how long it lasts and how people remember it, not by the words of a review site.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
08.24.2013 , 07:35 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
MMO gamers are inconsistent. They claim to want innovation, but mercilessly criticize it when it is given to them.
Delete the word "MMO" in your sentence, and everything is right.

I have seen lots of highly innovative games not being bought.
And even only partially innovative games.
People seem to rather stick to sequels instead.
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.