Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Introducing Parsec - a new raid aware real time combat log parser

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Introducing Parsec - a new raid aware real time combat log parser

znihilist
01.12.2014 , 02:00 PM | #181
Docmal, may I make a request for an additional feature ?

Is it possible to show hits from main hand and/or offhand in the damage dealt section ? Or the log doesn't allow it ?

I know there is no option right now in parsec to do so, but wondering if such option can be implemented and if yes that would be awesome.
These are not the signatures you are looking for!

Docmal
01.13.2014 , 08:49 AM | #182
Quote: Originally Posted by znihilist View Post
Docmal, may I make a request for an additional feature ?

Is it possible to show hits from main hand and/or offhand in the damage dealt section ? Or the log doesn't allow it ?

I know there is no option right now in parsec to do so, but wondering if such option can be implemented and if yes that would be awesome.
I have toyed with the idea and even played with a few algorithms but nothing seemed to work exactly how I wanted it to. The only thing that identifies an offhand hit is if the dmg occurs within ~50 ms of each other and the attack is the same name. However, there a lot of single basic attacks that have multiple hits per attack that fall into that window. So my algorithm was picking up things like hammer shot as dual wield even though they are not.

I am open to suggestions on how to better identify offhand hits since they are not specifically called out as such. However, I would like to avoid anything that requires the engine look for a list of specific attacks.
Don't be a nub, use Parsec
<Redemption> @ The Shadowlands
Drewbacca - Guardian Tank Handrew - Shadow Tank
& 12 more...

znihilist
01.13.2014 , 09:36 PM | #183
Quote: Originally Posted by Docmal View Post
I have toyed with the idea and even played with a few algorithms but nothing seemed to work exactly how I wanted it to. The only thing that identifies an offhand hit is if the dmg occurs within ~50 ms of each other and the attack is the same name. However, there a lot of single basic attacks that have multiple hits per attack that fall into that window. So my algorithm was picking up things like hammer shot as dual wield even though they are not.

I am open to suggestions on how to better identify offhand hits since they are not specifically called out as such. However, I would like to avoid anything that requires the engine look for a list of specific attacks.
Ignore this, check my next reply!

znihilist
01.14.2014 , 12:52 AM | #184
Here is an actual example since I made some mistakes in the numbers above:
Those are my selection of all hits with Annihilate on the dummy.
Spoiler

I removed all crits and misses from the parse and ordered the damage by ascending order.

Spoiler

It is really obvious for you and me that the first 29 numbers are offhand hits.
One way to actually separate them is via the average damage.
So you can calculate the damage average from all of the abilities above which is 2585. The min damage possible from the MH is always above the average value due to the effect of offhand scaling value. So if you take everything above the average value, you are almost guaranteed to select the MH hits.
Now this needs more checking, I will try to confirm this as well to abilities that have multiple hits.

shyroman
01.20.2014 , 04:22 PM | #185
My anti-virus all of a sudden thought parsec had something wrong with it and started to prevent it from opening, has anyone else had this problem?
Ryann-Sniper; Apophas-Marauder; Jesseca-Operative
Chrisia-Shadow; Ryannack-Sorcerer; Ryanner-Powertech
Jedi Covenant

Hikaru
01.27.2014 , 10:28 AM | #186
Hey Docmal thanks for your continued work on Parsec it is my guild's preferred poison......

One thing that could make it better is if on the Raid Tab of the stats there was a DtPS next to the DMG In, that way a raid leader can easily evaluate things without having to ask people to relay that number themselves.

Also is there a way to easily add misses(Acc) to the parses even if it can't be done in a percentage due to it being a live parse but a Raw number of misses would help when glancing at the DPS stats.
The Shadowlands The Kamikaze Legacy

Docmal
01.28.2014 , 09:13 PM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by Hikaru View Post
Hey Docmal thanks for your continued work on Parsec it is my guild's preferred poison......

One thing that could make it better is if on the Raid Tab of the stats there was a DtPS next to the DMG In, that way a raid leader can easily evaluate things without having to ask people to relay that number themselves.

Also is there a way to easily add misses(Acc) to the parses even if it can't be done in a percentage due to it being a live parse but a Raw number of misses would help when glancing at the DPS stats.
Both of these are included in the next release. Which will be... Soon (tm). Err... Sometime this quarter
& 12 more...

Docmal
01.28.2014 , 09:59 PM | #188
Quote: Originally Posted by znihilist View Post
Here is an actual example since I made some mistakes in the numbers above:
Those are my selection of all hits with Annihilate on the dummy.
Spoiler

I removed all crits and misses from the parse and ordered the damage by ascending order.

Spoiler

It is really obvious for you and me that the first 29 numbers are offhand hits.
One way to actually separate them is via the average damage.
So you can calculate the damage average from all of the abilities above which is 2585. The min damage possible from the MH is always above the average value due to the effect of offhand scaling value. So if you take everything above the average value, you are almost guaranteed to select the MH hits.
Now this needs more checking, I will try to confirm this as well to abilities that have multiple hits.
Unfortunately, this algorithm only works when multiple passes are made over the data. You need an initial pass to calculate the average off hand hit and then a second pass to identiy them. Since Parsec is a real time combat parser it only does one pass and doing more than one pass doesn't make sense until the dataset is complete.

That said, you should be happy to know that I finally came up with a satisfactory algorithm. It doesn't exactly identify off hand hits but instead it identifies each hit of an ability after it's activation and gives it an index. For example lets look at master strike:

Code:
18:26:03.222 You activate Master Strike
18:26:03.599 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Master Strike for 2,878 energy damage (2,878 threat)
18:26:03.599 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Master Strike for 424 energy damage (424 threat)
18:26:04.184 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Master Strike for 4,926* energy damage (4,926 threat)
18:26:04.184 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Master Strike for 559 energy damage (559 threat)
18:26:05.600 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Master Strike for 10,001* energy damage (10,001 threat)
18:26:05.600 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Master Strike for 1,498 energy damage (1,498 threat)
The algorithm sees the Master Strike activation and then identifies each hit after it with an index 1 through 6. The UI will display a total row for all master strike hits followed by a row for each hit.

Code:
Master Strike -----
Master Strike (1/6) ---
Master Strike (2/6) ---
Master Strike (3/6) ---
Master Strike (4/6) ---
Master Strike (5/6) ---
Master Strike (6/6) ---
There were three instances that caused problems with this algorithm and they were dealt with as follows.

Attacks that cause Effects - Some attacks cause Effects like bleeds. These will continue to be listed differently as was designed in the last release, and the bleeds will not be broken down by tick since they do not have an ability activation to be associated with. I didn't see this as an issue since they do not have offhand bleeds.

AOE Attacks - Any Attack that hits multiple targets after it has been activated is identified as (Multi Target) and does not display detailed rows. This is to prevent FlyBy from having 56 entries through out a fight. The cool thing is that if you are on the dummy flyby will not be "Multi Target" because it only hits one target. In that scenario it will display 3 separate hits under its total row.

Spam-able Multi Hit Attacks - Any attack that has no cooldown, hits multiple times and can be spammed runs the risk of its last hits overlapping the next activation of the ability. All of the basic attacks fall into this category. For example Strike on a Sentinel will usually have 4 hits. If you spam the ability the 3rd or 4th hit will often be picked up under the next activation. This will cause Strike to show 5 or 6 buckets instead of 4 because the second strike picks up hit 3 and 4 of the first, in addition to its own 4 hits:

Code:
18:33:17.536 You activate Strike
18:33:17.537 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Strike for 707* energy damage (707 threat)
18:33:18.556 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Strike for 0 (dodge) damage (1 threat)
18:33:18.777 You activate Strike
18:33:18.777 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Strike for 0 (dodge) damage (1 threat)
18:33:19.196 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Strike for 393 energy damage (393 threat)
18:33:19.696 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Strike for 821* energy damage (821 threat)
18:33:20.569 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Strike for 476 energy damage (476 threat)
18:33:20.569 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Strike for 470 energy damage (470 threat)
18:33:21.570 You hit Operations Training Dummy with Strike for 442 energy damage (442 threat)
Unfortunately the fix for this would require a 2 pass system where the most frequent bucket count could be found during the first pass, then used to correct this problem during the second pass. However, as stated a second pass isn't really in the cards for a real time parser like Parsec so this will just be left as is.

All in all I am quit happy with how it is turning out and I hope you all get as much use out of it as I have already. This combined with the new miss/resist column is very enlightening to the offhand miss rate and it's affect on damage inconsistency.
& 12 more...

znihilist
01.29.2014 , 05:15 AM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by Docmal View Post
Snip.
First thing first, awesome work! Thank you for this
As for the the one I talked about you present a fair point, I forgot about the Real Time issue, mine would only work once the fight is over but that's not really what we want. However, I might have a solution that wouldn't require a second pass if you are still interested.

I will either edit this post later or post a new one.

edit: Does your average include misses ? As in hits that does 0 damage ?

Beslley
01.29.2014 , 09:44 AM | #190
Hey Docmal,

I was unsure about whether this was an issue with the combat log within SWTOR, or whether it was a Parsec one, but I thought that maybe you'd be able to shed some light on it.

Last night while doing HM Tyrans, I parsed roughly 400 dps below our other sniper but I was only 1k overall damage behind him. As Tyrans is a single target affair, I am terribly confused as to why the dps number is so far behind him when our overall damage was nearly identical. Any idea how this could happen? I was puzzling over it for the rest of the run
<Death and Taxes>
Prophecy of the Five

Beslley - dps sorc | Arenatah - snoipah | Nef'arian - dps op | Alexstraza - slinger
KHEM VAL IS MY COPILOT