Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[HM] Styrak - DPS Check question

SheikShmoove
08.19.2013 , 02:33 PM | #21
The biggest change we made between our first night working on HM Styrak (where we were hitting enrage very early, much like the OP described) and our second full night working on him (when we finally got our first kill) was focusing all of our DPS cooldowns and hardest-hitting attacks on Styrak himself, instead of using them on the Kell Dragon or the manifestations.

There are two "clocks", if you will, in this fight. The 1st is the enrage timer, and it is a fixed time of 8 minutes (starting when the Kell Dragon first jumps down). The 2nd is Styrak's health, and thus is percentage-based. Once you push him to around 18% health, he uses an emote (I think it is "Brothers and sisters, grant me power!"), and then at around 15%, he says "This broke the beast...it will break you!" or something like that. You need to get to that emote, since it pushes him out of the current phase (with all the Manifestations) and causes him to reanimate the Kell Dragon. The key, for us, was to make sure we burned down Styrak fast enough so we only saw 4 Chained Manifestations / Lightning Manifestations. When Styrak disappeared for the 4th Chained Manifestation, if his health was below 30%, we had a good shot at forcing him to the reanimated Kell Dragon phase before he could cycle through his Chained / Lightning Manifestations again. If we failed, and got the 5th set of Manifestations (and thus a boatload more health to burn through and time wasted), we then hit enrage while the Kell Dragon was still alive and then it was game over.

Thus, have DPS use cooldowns (Inspiration, adrenals, relics, etc.) on Styrak himself, and healers/tanks save big attacks for those phases (e.g., Freighter Flyby), and you can push that 2nd percentage-based "clock" a little bit faster. We also asked our healers to try and dot up Styrak whenever possible (e.g., Weaken Mind, Vital Shot) to give us that little bit more. There are also brief windows (like between Chained Manifestation and Lightning Manifestation) where Styrak was available for some DPS. I tried to use attacks with big upfront damage (for me, that is Overhead Slash, auto-crit Blade Storm, and Dispatch) to squeeze in some extra damage. Note that Styrak seems to drop debuffs and DoTs when he disappears, so any DoT-heavy classes need to reapply each time.

From a DPS standpoint, we have a Vigilance Guardian and Combat Sentinel that parse (on ops dummies) in the 2500-2800 range, and a TK Sage and Combat Sentinel that parse in the 1900-2100 range -- so nothing overwhelming, but sufficient to clear HM Styrak. In our second, somewhat cleaner kill, our final DPS numbers from the fight were as follows (keep in mind the end numbers get boosted a bit by the reanimated Kell Dragon, who takes about 2-3x more damage than normal):

Tanks: 810, 805
Healers: 240, 173
DPS: 2618, 2555, 1872, 1508

KeyboardNinja
08.19.2013 , 02:38 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by SheikShmoove View Post
Thus, have DPS use cooldowns (Inspiration, adrenals, relics, etc.) on Styrak himself, and healers/tanks save big attacks for those phases (e.g., Freighter Flyby), and you can push that 2nd percentage-based "clock" a little bit faster.
It's worth noting that the reanimated Dragon (and last-phase Styrak) get a significant multiplicative damage buff, meaning that Inspiration/Relics/Adrenals/etc have a dramatically more significant effect during that final phase than they do at any other part of the fight. Skipping past the last Lightning/Chained Manifestation phase is really important, but if you're having trouble with the enrage, you really need to find the DPS to beat that last cycle without blowing all of your big CDs.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

NoFishing
08.19.2013 , 02:43 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocho-Quatro View Post
it means the 4 DPS were averaging 1,500 dps. Which is super low. I think for starters we need to be able to drop the first dragon absolutely no more than 90s which is an average of 2,100 dps between our four dps.
Remember the dragon takes almost no damage during his spin phases, which are usually around 40s total IIRC. I've been thinking the best way to optimize this part of the fight is to leave the first choking add alone until the dragon spins, have the tank with aggro shield the group, and the choked tank pick up the dragon once he's free. Alternatively, have a single ranged DPS on the first add so you don't lose damage to "overkill".

As others pointed out though, sniper2/mara really needs to up his game. Even 640k damage is not great. My group failed it until our average DPS go to about 2.1k, much closer to sniper1's number.

However, if sniper2, and to a lesser extent the mercs, can pick it up a bit, you are not as far off as you might think. Styrak gets a damage debuff in the last phase after you've killed the dragon for the second time, so you can melt that last 14% pretty quick. As long as he doesn't enrage with more than about 7-8% of his health remaining, you should be able to kill him. Of course, it is always nicer to just flat-out beat the enrage, but any time the boss dies is a win! :-)

As far as your healers go, my sage can cover about 70% of the healing required in this fight since everyone is mostly grouped up so nicely, which frees our scoundrel to contribute DPS. I expect that 2 sorcs should be able to spend >30% of their time doing damage without draining themselves of force too much. If they are not, they are probably overhealing by a large margin. They just need to make sure they have close to full force when the dragon appears the second time, as that will be a lot of healing until the end of the fight.

SheikShmoove
08.19.2013 , 02:46 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
It's worth noting that the reanimated Dragon (and last-phase Styrak) get a significant multiplicative damage buff, meaning that Inspiration/Relics/Adrenals/etc have a dramatically more significant effect during that final phase than they do at any other part of the fight. Skipping past the last Lightning/Chained Manifestation phase is really important, but if you're having trouble with the enrage, you really need to find the DPS to beat that last cycle without blowing all of your big CDs.
Good point. We have two Inspirations in our group -- we use them when Styrak first appears, and generally have at least one up for the reanimated Kell Dragon.

Amantino
08.19.2013 , 03:00 PM | #25
Your issue is the marauder, plain and simple. Either he's in lvl 50 greens, or he's doing something very wrong. A ~69 geared mara with setbonus can easily do 2000dps on that fight and should break 1mill damage mark.

Healers can easily do 200k dmg without putting too much effort into it. I've healed it, so I know.
Jennifér - Marauder
<Reckoning>

The Red Eclipse

Ottoattack
08.19.2013 , 05:02 PM | #26
Generally your dps should be avging 2K for HMs. I am not sure how long the fight for Styrak lasts, but if someone is below 1,500 dps is a liability.

AAAAzrael
08.19.2013 , 08:03 PM | #27
I actually found that phase when he talks and then prepares to summon resurrected dragon most critical. Best run I had in there he dropped to 3% before finishing the cast on the dragon. It's a matter of DPS timing then. (Mind you we had 5DPS in the group). It was easiest that way as he almost immediately died after dragon died.

MVaglin
08.20.2013 , 02:54 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
And I'm 100% certain it starts when the first Dragon drops down. Start a timer when the Kell Dragon spawns. You'll see the enrage at exactly 480 seconds (8 minutes) every time, regardless of how long you take to drop the dragon.
I was just going from the info in Tempest's youtube guide (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5b373BFLpk) saying enrage was 5min 50sec after death of dragon, which also seemed to correlate with my own experience. I haven't timed it or anything, it's all just anecdotal (ie assuming enrage timer started after the dragon died always produced better results for us).

If you have timed it and are that sure, I'll gladly concede the point.
http://www.thecircle-guild.com

Akash - Operative Monzcarro - Mercenary
Erekose - Marauder Shatiro - Assassin

Pyrotech Mercenary PvE Guide

Damastes
08.20.2013 , 03:59 AM | #29
Thought I'd give you some more numbers, as our first HM Styrak kill went about as long as it could have gone while still being a success. So, you can probably consider these numbers as close to the minimums needed as you can get. (Also, if you're still fighting the second Kell Dragon at the 8 minute mark, as happened to us more than once, Power of the Master starts to do way more damage.)

Our first kill took 8 minutes, 27 seconds. We hit the second Kell Dragon at 7 minutes, 10 seconds. Here are the DPS totals for before the second Kell Dragon appears, with DPS totals for the whole fight in parentheses:

Shadow: 1963.25 (2132.76)
Guardian: 1871.46 (2129.12)
Commando: 1806.4 (2094.1)
Gunslinger: 1978.04 (2128.92)
Guardian Tank: 811.8 (881.09)
Assume the second tank was within ~100 DPS, probably minus, of the first.
I didn't do the pre-2nd Kell Dragon numbers for healers. For the whole fight, Sage healer had 27 DPS and Commando healer had 152 DPS.
Aerre -- The Ebon Hawk -- Aisthesis

Newte -- The Ebon Hawk -- The Army of Light

Ausgelebt
08.20.2013 , 04:58 AM | #30
Plan your CDs so you have adrenal, relic and stuff ready for 2nd dragon phase (dragon comes 2nd time when boss has around 13%). If every dd pulls 2,2k+ you're set. We're pulling 2,5k+ per dd, never hit enrage