Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tips for rookie tank.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tips for rookie tank.

crazedjunky
08.17.2013 , 11:21 AM | #1
I've mostly been a healer for my time on SWTOR, but I want to try out being a tank. Is there much I should know besides the taunts and the aggro factors?
Cruel, vain, and probably insane: Psycotics Legacy

Lordmird
08.17.2013 , 01:35 PM | #2
Taunts, guards, aggro. You've got the basics.

Get used to "trigger happy" maras/sents who jump in before you have time to drop an AOE, or build up aggro.
Semper Paratus

MGNMTTRN
08.17.2013 , 02:13 PM | #3
Never tunnel vision on one target, and always AOE tank. It doesn't matter what AC you are, you should be tanking every enemy. To do that while fighting on the front line, you'll have to always check over your shoulder to see what straggler enemies are running toward the healers/rDPS.

Apart from actually tanking the enemies, it should be your goal to 1) take steady damage; if you leaped into a pack and immediately lost half your health, that was your fault, you need to pull better, and you need to manage your cooldowns better 2) pull fast, with no confusion or cc disarray 3) stack up/group up enemies for easy control and burning.

Alefiend
08.17.2013 , 03:29 PM | #4
The best advice I ever got for dealing with Leeroy marauders and sentinels is this:

Let them leap in and die a few times. They will either learn their lesson or they will quit, whereupon you can re-queue for a better player.
Alefiend on Jedi Covenant:
Jura'a, Jantar Lonak, Ylanne

Star Wars fan since 1977

crazedjunky
08.17.2013 , 07:07 PM | #5
Ok, thanks for the tips, guys. Really appreciate it.
Cruel, vain, and probably insane: Psycotics Legacy

Dragonexadon
08.19.2013 , 10:19 AM | #6
Don't taunt first.

Many tanks open with a taunt. Taunt builds a % of threat above the highest threat on the list. Taunting at the start is a waste. Go through a full ration and then taunt (or before hand if target switches)

Turn target of target on and keep it in a place that you can easily see. Make sure you are always aware of who your target is focused on.
FORCE EFFECT
|US-East || PVP Server || Casual Guild || End Game Operations & PVP
http://www.force-effect.net/

EFSoupy
08.19.2013 , 01:30 PM | #7
On trash pulls, the mob of largest concern, 90% of the time, is the one beating on your healer.

Take the time to learn fight mechanics, find tricks and learn when you'll want def cds the most. It will help get things done as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Pace fps/ ops so you keep moving but not so fast that people feel rushed. It's surprising how good of a tank such an arbitrary skill makes you look.

For ops, it's not about you having aggro, but the tanks having aggro. I know some tanks that feel like they have to have aggro on everything. As long as one of the tanks has aggro and neither is dying, things are fine. Learning to watch for the stray mob running around in the raid is huge here.

Keep running your healer and watch other tanks. You'll pick up a lot of good tricks that others have figured out.
Azucena- Vanguard (Shield/Assault), Moco - Scoundrel (Sawbones), Chapulin - Shadow (Kinetic/ Infiltration), Cagafuego - Commando (Gunnery)
<The Eternal Guardians>
Begeren Colony

AlixMV
08.19.2013 , 05:30 PM | #8
Something really non-intuitive that I had to be knocked upside the head with while tanking TfB: go into your Preferences and find the camera control for how far out you can zoom your camera and put the slider all the way to the right. This will maximize your ability to zoom out.

As another commenter said, tunnel-vision can be a huge issue, and the default field of view is just not wide enough, in my experience, to be able to keep an eye on everything. I can't play with it all the way out like the person I tank with, but I have found that for my personal base state I like it to be a little farther out than game default.
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Diyanna ~ Annifryd
Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee ~ Lor'rysi

Dragonexadon
08.20.2013 , 12:03 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AlixMV View Post
Something really non-intuitive that I had to be knocked upside the head with while tanking TfB: go into your Preferences and find the camera control for how far out you can zoom your camera and put the slider all the way to the right. This will maximize your ability to zoom out.

As another commenter said, tunnel-vision can be a huge issue, and the default field of view is just not wide enough, in my experience, to be able to keep an eye on everything. I can't play with it all the way out like the person I tank with, but I have found that for my personal base state I like it to be a little farther out than game default.
For sure. On TFB last boss seeing the adds come in, where the sput is, where all the different things at play are is key. More so if you are calling things out in a raid.
FORCE EFFECT
|US-East || PVP Server || Casual Guild || End Game Operations & PVP
http://www.force-effect.net/

Bilirubin
08.20.2013 , 11:51 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Dragonexadon View Post
Don't taunt first.

Many tanks open with a taunt. Taunt builds a % of threat above the highest threat on the list. Taunting at the start is a waste. Go through a full ration and then taunt (or before hand if target switches)
A corollary of this is to go back through your abilities and know which ones generate high aggro and open with some of these.
Cyannin Level 55 Shadow | Rubinin Level 50 Gunslinger | Mikuri Level 55 Sentinel | Vertatin Level 47 Commando | PURgE
Scartina Level 17 Marauder
The Bastion