Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Potential Slicing Nerf already?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Potential Slicing Nerf already?!

Nyysjan
12.21.2011 , 04:24 PM | #21
what people forget, is that by taking slicing, you get a small but steady stream of credits, but you also forgo taking second mission/gathering profession which means that if you pick up crafting, you must buy either the basic or rare mats in order to do anything else than the basic items, which costs credits.
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudKiller View Post
Agent: "If you want a door smashed down call a Sith Warrior, if you want a door blow to pieces call a Bounty Hunter, if you want the key to the door and the knowledge of what lies beyond it then you call me."

Kryptorchid
12.21.2011 , 04:26 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Nyysjan View Post
what people forget, is that by taking slicing, you get a small but steady stream of credits, but you also forgo taking second mission/gathering profession which means that if you pick up crafting, you must buy either the basic or rare mats in order to do anything else than the basic items, which costs credits.
That's not entirely true, because I think most people who intend to craft take slicing while leveling to amass more money than they would by getting the required crew skill for their craft, then drop slicing and use that money to burn through missions with 4 companions to powerlevel their desired crew skill.

ndxnd
12.21.2011 , 04:30 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Bandel View Post
Saw this on Stephen Reids twitter feed earlier and found it pretty interesting. I personally dont have a problem with slicing, but maybe Bioware does. Probably too soon to tell.

"Galen Sturgess
@Rockjaw Is anything being done about the massive profit disparity between everything else and slicing?

Stephen Reid
@Berym Yes."

Im not sure what to make of this. Feel free to speculate.
Well sadly. It has been nerfed badly.

Racheakt
12.21.2011 , 04:49 PM | #24
This thred bring me to another gripe I have about BW dev staff, why have forums if you only read and respond to twitter feeds?

Oh well....

The_Archon
12.21.2011 , 05:00 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Kryptorchid View Post
That's not entirely true, because I think most people who intend to craft take slicing while leveling to amass more money than they would by getting the required crew skill for their craft, then drop slicing and use that money to burn through missions with 4 companions to powerlevel their desired crew skill.
You pretty much just proved his point I think.

The idea is that crafters who do not slice have a steady monetary loss, and the only way to replace it is to sell items to other players. Factor in mats you never use and items that never sell, or sell for a pittance, and suddenly slicing becomes extremely efficient at every level.

Example: As a biochem, I may collect 4 or 5 nodes out in the world which may or may not apply to my skill level or desired item I want to make, and even if it does, that item may not turn a profit, or sell at all except to a vendor. A slicer however collects cold hard cash immediately from most of his nodes, and can place the schematics (already in tact and ready to sell) on the market for no risk.

The fact that slicing may or may not "slow down" at level 50 does not tell me anything; there's still a huge disparity between slicing and all the other avenues.

Corran
12.21.2011 , 05:04 PM | #26
the fact that slicing is the only way to get recipes for biochem is annoying. the othre crew skills have a chance at recipes from their respective mission crew skill, but not biochem.

i'm 400 now and have never seen a recipe from diplomacy. i have however picked up no less than 4 from my alt who is doing only slicing.
"No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect." - Corran Horn
http://www.twitch.tv/dixa1

Amose
12.23.2011 , 06:46 PM | #27
I am level 35 with 400 slicing, have been for quite a while actually. I have never been hurt for money. By the time I was level 25 I had 120k so 48k for training and mount was a drop in the bucket. I've done 3 inventory expansion modules, have all up to date gear etc and I currently have 270k credits.

At max level the trick is to due only the rich/abundant/bountiful missions. I love slicing because I'm too lazy to craft, I would much rather pay other people for crafted goods.

My goal now is to get rich before they nerf it.

AMKSED
12.23.2011 , 06:48 PM | #28
Spent a night doing nothing but slicing missions with 4 companions + PvP. Made 500k. Nerf it.

Amose
12.23.2011 , 06:48 PM | #29
On another note all of they people QQing about slicing need to stop crying, pick it up, max it out, amass credits and then drop it. I don't get why all the crying. It took no time at all for me to go max slicing.

Felioats
12.23.2011 , 06:58 PM | #30
I could see them reducing both the costs and the payouts. You'd still make a profit, but smaller and more slowly.

Quote: Originally Posted by Racheakt View Post
This thred bring me to another gripe I have about BW dev staff, why have forums if you only read and respond to twitter feeds?

Oh well....
Seriously, can someone link to all their Twitter feeds, please?

Awhile ago I gave up coming here for info and started going to SWTOR on Twitter. But I don't have the dev accounts.

Quote: Originally Posted by Corran View Post
the fact that slicing is the only way to get recipes for biochem is annoying. the othre crew skills have a chance at recipes from their respective mission crew skill, but not biochem.

i'm 400 now and have never seen a recipe from diplomacy. i have however picked up no less than 4 from my alt who is doing only slicing.
I have bad news for you. Slicing doesn't give any Biochem recipes. Just Cybertech.