Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Potential Slicing Nerf already?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Potential Slicing Nerf already?!

Bandel
12.21.2011 , 02:16 PM | #1
Saw this on Stephen Reids twitter feed earlier and found it pretty interesting. I personally dont have a problem with slicing, but maybe Bioware does. Probably too soon to tell.

"Galen Sturgess
@Rockjaw Is anything being done about the massive profit disparity between everything else and slicing?

Stephen Reid
@Berym Yes."

Im not sure what to make of this. Feel free to speculate.
Is this witty enough?

Splitter
12.21.2011 , 02:20 PM | #2
I don't see the issue with slicing other than the jealousy shown toward it from people without it.
SPLITTER of Ministry of Defense
ex... Marshal Gladiator Mage
ex... Dark Jedi Sentinel of Defense

Bandel
12.21.2011 , 02:24 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
I don't see the issue with slicing other than the jealousy shown toward it from people without it.
I think most people just assume that you make millions of credits with it. There is a monetary gain leveling up but at max level it slows down quite a bit.
Is this witty enough?

alexishomer
12.21.2011 , 02:24 PM | #4
Or, they can put in some 'junk' items in the reward of other crew skills for vendor.

Or, they can lower the cost of other crew skill missions.

Or, they can increase the vendor value of the other crew skills craft items.

To be honest, so far most of my credit comes from useless junks, not slicing (due to failed mission).

Having slicing as a crew skill is like not having another credits-sinking crew skill - it saves your credits, not necessarily earn them.

Splitter
12.21.2011 , 02:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Bandel View Post
I think most people just assume that you make millions of credits with it. There is a monetary gain leveling up but at max level it slows down quite a bit.
Indeed. This is what I've found out from guildies and the forums so far. We'll see what happens with it.
SPLITTER of Ministry of Defense
ex... Marshal Gladiator Mage
ex... Dark Jedi Sentinel of Defense

Nocturnalis
12.21.2011 , 02:27 PM | #6
X % decrease in mission payout with X % increase in blues
X % decrease in mission payout with X % increase in vendor loot
X % decrease in mission payout with X % increase in slicing resource nodes
X % decrease in mission payout alone (bad)
X % increase in failure rate on missions across the board (bad)

Bottom line is an X % decrease is coming and everyone knew it.

Lets just hope they don't nerf slicing into the ground.

Buzzatronic
12.21.2011 , 02:30 PM | #7
I've been keeping close track of my slicing rewards and I'm not sure a nerf is needed. Granted I'm only level 15 with slicing at 207/400, but here's what I've got so far:

117 missions run
~40K cost
~59K return
~19K profit
642 minutes

That's somewhere around 4 credits per minute and a ROI of around 150%. Not too terribly OP if you ask me, especially since it's a static thing. Knowing how crafting goes in other games like WoW, I wouldn't be surprised if a "real" gathering skill generates much much higher per minute credits than slicing does in the long run.

For me, I'm just trying to make sure I have enough cash to buy mounts and such. I'll likely drop slicing at 50 once I've bought all the stuff I want from NPC vendors.

Racheakt
12.21.2011 , 02:31 PM | #8
Well if it gets nerfed to the point where there is zero credit gain, all i need to say is good luck getting those augments. It was nerfed hard several times in beta.

Nobody is taking a skill with no return.

Nocturnalis
12.21.2011 , 02:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Racheakt View Post
Well if it gets nerfed to the point where there is zero credit gain, all i need to say is good luck getting those augments. It was nerfed hard several times in beta.

Nobody is taking a skill with no return.
I think the idea endgame was to bank on selling the augments. If slicing is nerfed into the ground then the augment prices end game will skyrocket. BW is on a slippery slope with slicing.

Poundmyfist
12.21.2011 , 02:42 PM | #10
I never thought I would be perma-rich with Slickng. I took it for what it is at the time. Fast money. When it gets nerfed ill sit on what I have made to help level either Armormech or Cybertech. I have seen a good decline on the payout of missions and with a nerf to Slicing I just wouldn't understand the purpose of having it at all.

Who knows. I won't cry either way.