Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Refer a Friend Issues - What is going on

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Refer a Friend Issues - What is going on
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lecto's Avatar


Lecto
08.18.2013 , 11:13 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by AnKhor View Post
This situation is really disappointing. I have a friend interested in returning to the game and probably re-subbing (but he needs a server transfer), and another that wants to join. Until this system is fix they are not going to do anything. I know they will enjoy the game when they get started, but I don't know how much longer I can hold their interest waiting for this bug to be fixed.

Is there any news on an ETA? I have even spent time creating about 10 new accounts/e-mails on my friends behalf to try and get an account to register as a referral... nothing!
No ETA, when I called BW on Monday they said the fix would take two days; however, that time has come & gone. I get the feeling they are wanting us all to shut up & go away.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return". ~ Moulin Rouge
Join "Tao Covenant" today!
Twitter: @Lecto10

elidion's Avatar


elidion
08.18.2013 , 01:58 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AnKhor View Post
This situation is really disappointing. I have a friend interested in returning to the game and probably re-subbing (but he needs a server transfer), and another that wants to join. Until this system is fix they are not going to do anything. I know they will enjoy the game when they get started, but I don't know how much longer I can hold their interest waiting for this bug to be fixed.
I'm in the same boat with a friend wanting the server transfer. I could care less about a droid or any self perks, my friend playing with me is perk enough...if they would comp him a free transfer while they sorted this out I would be more than happy with that...but when I asked CS on the phone about that they said it would screw up the whole system, newsflash...it's already screwed up lol

CrazyMcGee's Avatar


CrazyMcGee
08.18.2013 , 07:21 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by AnKhor View Post
Hi all,

Just an update on my progress, and some extra info to help you identify success.

After creating many new accounts (probably approaching 20 by now) I finally got one to register as a referral. So this looks like an intermittent issue. This is probably coincidence but it was the only account i created where the birthday was not set to 1.1.XX (except the first try by my friend)

What you need to look for to confirm success is after the new account is validated it will take you to a big green message that says;

Congratulations, you've been successfully invited to play Star Wars: The Old Republic by USRNAME Jump in now and expedite your adventures with a complimentary Jumpstart Bundle, an exclusive gift waiting for you in your in-game mail!

If it failed you will just get a standard account validated message.

The player account name will also show up in your referral list and specify the number of days they have to subscribe before the offer expirs.


Now I have the friend on the new account sorted out, I am going to start working on referring the friend who already had a previously sub. If I succeeded I will share any info I find out.

Good luck guys. Hopefully we will receive an official update from BW soon.
This is really good advice, guys, if you haven't subbed yet.

Do the refer a friend, but MAKE SURE IT HAS REGISTERED BEFORE YOU SUB.

Tell your friend NOT to sub unless you see them listed in your account first.

CrazyMcGee's Avatar


CrazyMcGee
08.19.2013 , 12:25 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Bronholz View Post
Greetings elidion,

Thanks for contacting us.

We are aware of the issues with the Referral system and we are worked to the system fixed. We hope to have the issues resolved soon, but for the moment we understand the frustrating these issues are causing and we ask for your patience.

Thank you.
Also, just to say I really appreciate the post. It drives me crazy (geddit?) when you guys don't acknowledge problems, so thank you

Lecto's Avatar


Lecto
08.19.2013 , 10:58 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyMcGee View Post
Also, just to say I really appreciate the post. It drives me crazy (geddit?) when you guys don't acknowledge problems, so thank you
It would be nice if they gave us a time estimate though....or at least a progress report.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return". ~ Moulin Rouge
Join "Tao Covenant" today!
Twitter: @Lecto10

elidion's Avatar


elidion
08.19.2013 , 12:22 PM | #16
Now that they're on the 2nd week of this new program, I would have expected to see a sticky about it, and possibly remove the refer a friend page for now. Oh but that probably won't happen because there are probably plenty of people that don't realize the referral didn't work and keep playing without giving their friends the credit. They still get their money that way. Only reason it was even an issue for me is my 2 friends were on a different server so they wanted the free transfer before they joined back.

And a congratulations should be in order for the SWTOR team as well since one of my friends has already said "screw it" and is no longer interested in coming back after waiting this long for the issue to be resolved. They need to realize a lot of people quit due to bugs and problems in this game...and seeing an issue like this happening when they're trying to give them a 2nd chance doesn't really put their mind at ease that the game is any better.

Lecto's Avatar


Lecto
08.19.2013 , 12:29 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by elidion View Post
Now that they're on the 2nd week of this new program, I would have expected to see a sticky about it, and possibly remove the refer a friend page for now. Oh but that probably won't happen because there are probably plenty of people that don't realize the referral didn't work and keep playing without giving their friends the credit. They still get their money that way. Only reason it was even an issue for me is my 2 friends were on a different server so they wanted the free transfer before they joined back.

And a congratulations should be in order for the SWTOR team as well since one of my friends has already said "screw it" and is no longer interested in coming back after waiting this long for the issue to be resolved. They need to realize a lot of people quit due to bugs and problems in this game...and seeing an issue like this happening when they're trying to give them a 2nd chance doesn't really put their mind at ease that the game is any better.
I'm probably going to call them again on Tuesday myself & see what I can find out. I'm just miffed that it is taking so long to fix what should be a simple issue. I never understood the whole personal link thing....the E-mail referral system seemed much better to me.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return". ~ Moulin Rouge
Join "Tao Covenant" today!
Twitter: @Lecto10

elidion's Avatar


elidion
08.19.2013 , 02:19 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Lecto View Post
I'm probably going to call them again on Tuesday myself & see what I can find out. I'm just miffed that it is taking so long to fix what should be a simple issue. I never understood the whole personal link thing....the E-mail referral system seemed much better to me.
As a programmer myself it irks me as well. I'm fairly certain if I had a crack at the code it would be fixed within a few hours. I mean they made a press release/news story (http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20130808) boasting their new and improved RAF system that hasn't worked from the start. This should have been redacted immediately or in the very least acknowledged and addressed in a timely matter. Where I work if we had this sort of launch failure someone would be fired. I'm in utter bewilderment that it has carried on so long.

11 Days and counting so far.

AnKhor's Avatar


AnKhor
08.19.2013 , 03:16 PM | #19
I never did manage get my returning friend to appear as a referral... luckily he is on the game now anyway as a preferred player and seem to be enjoying it. Would have been nice if it worked tho!

Lecto's Avatar


Lecto
08.20.2013 , 08:31 AM | #20
Well, I'm on the phone with them now...took me 10min to get an Indian guy & he wasted about 5min of my time. I've been on hold to have my call "escalated" for about an hour so far -- total garbage.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return". ~ Moulin Rouge
Join "Tao Covenant" today!
Twitter: @Lecto10