Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need vs Greed

EwromFlyingrider
08.13.2013 , 10:58 AM | #1
I've noticed this a lot when running some of the lower level flashpoints on my low level characters. Now I was under the impression that there was a unwritten rule about not "Needing" on loot that your character could not use. So for example if I'm a shadow who uses light armor and willpower as my stat and say I roll need on a piece of gear that goes with my class and would be an upgrade. But then say a Jedi Sentinel also rolls needs and wins the roll.

It just gets kind of annoying when other classes roll need when they can't use it, now I know that yes companions can but they come second and at the point you roll greed. I can't count how many times I've been stiffed out of loot for my characters because some other person rolled as well. I call them out too but never seem to get the item traded to me or get some dumb response.

What are your thoughts and please no flaming.

branmakmuffin
08.13.2013 , 11:00 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by EwromFlyingrider View Post
You know the answer. You are just fishing for sympathy and validation.

ImpactHound
08.13.2013 , 11:01 AM | #3
I think this is one of the stronger argue points for having chat bubbles, because the chat window is pretty ignorable/invisible at times, especially in lighter, bluer areas.

Eutoxis
08.13.2013 , 11:05 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by EwromFlyingrider View Post
I've noticed this a lot when running some of the lower level flashpoints on my low level characters. Now I was under the impression that there was a unwritten rule about not "Needing" on loot that your character could not use. So for example if I'm a shadow who uses light armor and willpower as my stat and say I roll need on a piece of gear that goes with my class and would be an upgrade. But then say a Jedi Sentinel also rolls needs and wins the roll.

It just gets kind of annoying when other classes roll need when they can't use it, now I know that yes companions can but they come second and at the point you roll greed. I can't count how many times I've been stiffed out of loot for my characters because some other person rolled as well. I call them out too but never seem to get the item traded to me or get some dumb response.

It's not rocket surgery.
Discuss it at the beginning of the flashpoint (Need for YOUR class, Greed for companions, etc), votekick and /ignore those who refuse or ninja anyway, or leave if the vote fails and /ignore them all.

Prototypemind
08.13.2013 , 11:07 AM | #5
Establish the rules at the beginning and save yourself the headache. I'm sure you're aware of this by now.

Arlon_Nabarlly
08.13.2013 , 11:09 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
I think this is one of the stronger argue points for having chat bubbles, because the chat window is pretty ignorable/invisible at times, especially in lighter, bluer areas.

RVallant
08.13.2013 , 11:32 AM | #7
Just roll with it really.

I duo'd with a trooper on Esselles and he 'need' rolled on Jedi boots (me being a Jedi)... and he won it... _

On the other hand I duo'd it again with another Jedi Sentinel and she passed on Guardian gear where I passed on Sentinel gear, so some people do apply common sense.

In Athiss though, one of the girls kicked off about someone getting an item and wouldn't participate further until they traded it over. Fair enough, the other guy traded it shortly after I think partially cos the instance was like 80% done at that point... >_>

Personally, I just ignore it. If custom gear is the way to go, there's always going to be other means of getting it, anything else is just gravy. Course, I'm not at the top end of gear raiding et al yet so I may be a bit casual on that issue.

Jacen_Starsolo
08.13.2013 , 11:48 AM | #8
I just need on items that are upgrades for my character. Only time I need on comps is if like running through and the comp is being used. Like a 3-man or 2-man run through them.

Mooseflakes
08.13.2013 , 12:06 PM | #9
If bioware wanted to implement these rules than they would do it in game. sure if you want to set up looting rules before you run a fp go ahead. but i see no problem with needing on things that you or your companions can wear. or even to sell on the market. just go run a few more fp and buy the gear yourself, oh wait no one needs on gear so there is no market >.>

people like to make rules. just communicate you'll be fine. and have /ignore on the ready for those that can't handle it.

chuixupu
08.13.2013 , 12:22 PM | #10
Age old question/complaint. The key is to communicate. Sometimes there will be people that just don't care, but a lot of the times you're either dealing with someone who is too new to know the rules, or they just get away with what they can until someone calls them out on it.

Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
Chat bubbles would most certainly come with the ability to toggle them off, which would be most people I know.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant