Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Warzone Arenas
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

08.14.2013 , 12:40 PM | #221
8v8 being not played enough? I play it. I love it. So leave it and let those who want to queue 8v8 do it. Where is the problem with that. Communication and strategy is what makes ranked fun.
Ranked on BC has picked up in the last 2 months and you are doing away with our fun community.

At least Separate Arenas and Classic 8v8 Queues. For the love of god dont break the only reason I play this game.
<We Stack Presence>

08.14.2013 , 12:41 PM | #222
re-read the developer blog.

If you solo or group queue regulars (not ranked) you will not know what type of match you will end up with. Could be 8v8 objective, or regular arenas.

Ranked queues are arena only and include a solo and 4v4 group option.

08.14.2013 , 12:42 PM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by ManiacDavis View Post
Is solo q rating score separate from team q rating score?
Yes they are seperate

08.14.2013 , 12:43 PM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post
Moreover, this will cause one game-breaking problem that may not have bee considered: people will regularly leave matches which are not of the type they wished to play. When queing for non-ranked PvP, a person who wanted an arena will leave regular matches and vice versa. This will happen in quite nearly every match.
Only time will tell. I think that making this assertion at this point is probably premature.

08.14.2013 , 12:45 PM | #225

I"m not sure if you already answered my question in another post or if I didn't phrase it correctly, but since it's my primary concern at this point, I'll ask again in a different way:

8v8 WZs are very objective oriented (although in some cases, the objectives didn't really come into play (VS!). Whereas arenas are, by definition, team death match (TDM) -- no objectives in sight other than the glowy end goes in the other man.

My concern is that objective oriented WZs allow for more dynamic and balanced games because they depend more on awareness, teamwork/strategy and smarts than an arena, which emphasizes brute force (output). In other words, TDM caters to FotM classes and play styles that are not necessarily smart but churn out a high numbers (burst).

I'm very concerned that the combination of eliminating 8v8, objective oriented WZs and the existence of exclusively TDM 4v4 maps is going to 1) ostracize a number of ACs/specs that could get by in 8v8; 2) make FotM classes even more desirably than they already are; and 3) punish "team players" in a rated context.

Can you describe what/how you have planned to address these issues? is it feasible to make smaller scale WZs for rated? I want to do rated, but I don't want to FotM, and I don't want to lose out on rateds simply because there are no longer any objectives involved. TDM does away with the "role player," to use a sports analogy.
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
dealing over 50% of a target's health in a single GCD is just insipid in terms of quality of gaming experience.

08.14.2013 , 12:46 PM | #226
What I got from this dev update:

Implementing 4v4s. Check.
Removing 8v8 team ranked. Check.
The read between the lines: warzones (8 man v 8 man) are now the sideshow, all focus is on arenas.

Did we not learn our lesson from WoW? The 4v4 format of arenas inherently will favor a select few classes over all others, and we'll have the same 3 or 4 team compositions (if that) in all high level matches with no variation. Been maining X class? Good luck finding a team, your class brings nothing to the table!

In other words, the towel's been thrown in. Who cares about balance? GG, ranged DPS (especially on that Tatooine map), it's all about the mobile melee classes now. Team Deathmatch is fun and all, but to focus only on TDM's cheap thrill for competitive play is just... bleh.

Ordinarily, I'd adopt a wait-and-see approach. But BioWare, you've already told us the intent. 4v4 ranked solo and team. I thought you guys would've taken notes from WoW's failure. I guess not. :<
The Teltae Legacy
There's no escape from the mind.

08.14.2013 , 12:46 PM | #227
ALEX! I have a couple more PvP suggestions!

- If you guys ever make Kashyyyk playable, please add a PvP arena down in the Shadowlands! That would be epic!

- Also, Malastare has great potential for a new open world PvP planet! With Swoop Racing events and Pazaak!

08.14.2013 , 12:47 PM | #228
All I can say is this.

Do not balance the game based on Arena performance. Even one balance pass that effects PVE that has to do with Arenas will probably not be received very well.

Remember, WoW made this mistake and paid the consequences. DO NOT make the same mistakes if you want to avoid the negative chorus that is likely to follow any such changes.

Arena imbalance should remain untouched.

08.14.2013 , 12:48 PM | #229
I thought of another good question:

If I read it correctly, Arenas are being included in the "Regular" queue, and not an option. Lets say people end up disliking Arenas, but still love objective based warzones.

What happens when someone quits an Arena, given the population of the team itself is now of total importance instead of objectives? Does the match stall, or are we going to be seeing 4v3 and 4v2 matches?

If there is backfill - if someone backfills into a round, do they count as a "man standing"?

(Background: People quit huttball as they queue in like crazy on BC. I can see the same happening for arenas, even if by a different crowd.)
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no fear; there is power.
I am the heart of the Force. I am the revealing fire of light. I am the mystery of darkness.
In balance with chaos and harmony, Immortal in the Force.

08.14.2013 , 12:49 PM | #230
Hi Alex,

Some interesting and positive changes here, but like others two things concern me:

1) No separation in queues between 4v4 and 8v8. It's bad enough that we can't currently choose which WZ we want to do, forcing people into a completely different style of play would be a bit of a deterrent to queue for some.

2) Completely removing 8v8 ranked. Even if it's not really popular, why not just leave it for the people who do like it? What is the negative impact of leaving them in? I don't think the pvp population will increase by removing content.

I do hope that cross server queuing for warzones is still being considered. These changes may be a band-aid for increasing participation and queue pops, but ultimately I think cross-server is going to help a lot more.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant