Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Warzone Arenas
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Skolops
08.14.2013 , 12:32 PM | #211
All I can think of as to why they would be removing 8v8 ranked warzones is that they're concerned that when 4v4s come out, there wouldn't be enough people queing for them because people would still be doing 8v8 rated matches. I just don't think this is a legitimate concern by any means.

What 4v4 arenas will do is provide opportunities for more players to do competitive PvP, not less. If a given server has 10 guilds that may run ranked on any given night, two things would probably happen if 4v4 and 8v8s were both available. First, dozens upon dozens of other players who never could get an 8v8 team together will participate in the 4v4s. Second, of those 10 guilds not every one will be able to que for 8v8 ranked every day, and those which do not will run 4v4 teams.

So, at the end of the day, there is still no real reason as to why 8v8s ought to be removed - at least not one which has been provided.
El'Skan-Assassin /// Laetrie-Sniper /// Caelie-Slinger /// Fidaeria-Jugg
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

rickibalboa
08.14.2013 , 12:33 PM | #212
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
That is a possibility depending on other factors besides queue population as well, but not promises and definitely no timetable on such a change.
Wait, you mean to tell me that you can only queue for pvp and not choose 8v8 or arenas? You just get to play what bioware decides.

If thats the case you've really hit the nail on the head there and absolutely ruined PVP for the hardcore players. Back to the drawing board

Yodawizard
08.14.2013 , 12:33 PM | #213
So if I put 4 people together and queue for a regular Q and get an arena match there is a chance I am going against 4 people in solo regular Q and there is no system for them to have a balanced team, aka I could be going up against 4 tanks / 4 heals / 4 dps? Oh joy.

Skolops
08.14.2013 , 12:36 PM | #214
Quote: Originally Posted by rickibalboa View Post
Wait, you mean to tell me that you can only queue for pvp and not choose 8v8 or arenas? You just get to play what bioware decides.

If thats the case you've really hit the nail on the head there and absolutely ruined PVP for the hardcore players. Back to the drawing board
Moreover, this will cause one game-breaking problem that may not have bee considered: people will regularly leave matches which are not of the type they wished to play. When queing for non-ranked PvP, a person who wanted an arena will leave regular matches and vice versa. This will happen in quite nearly every match.
El'Skan-Assassin /// Laetrie-Sniper /// Caelie-Slinger /// Fidaeria-Jugg
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

Trevalion
08.14.2013 , 12:38 PM | #215
Quote: Originally Posted by Yodawizard View Post
So if I put 4 people together and queue for a regular Q and get an arena match there is a chance I am going against 4 people in solo regular Q and there is no system for them to have a balanced team, aka I could be going up against 4 tanks / 4 heals / 4 dps? Oh joy.

Not the way I read this. Solo Que arena's will (supposedly) be balanced by the matchmaking system by role. The role is determined magically by your spec. There is no hard information here about how this works. Time to hit the PTS on Friday

If your grouped 4 man gets a ranked pop, they could face solo qued groups, but the roles will be balanced by the matchmaking system.

MeRRR
08.14.2013 , 12:38 PM | #216
Quote: Originally Posted by Yodawizard View Post
At first I thought that the role based matchmaking system would take care of this... then i re-read the blog post. It only mentions the role based matchmaking when solo queuing ranked...

Quote:
Ranked Arenas will come in two flavors with Game Update 2.4, Solo and Group. Solo players can queue up for Ranked Arenas and be matched with other players of the same rating to compete in Arenas exclusively; no other Warzone maps are present in this Ranked queue. In addition to being matched by rating the match making system also determines the role of the character (DPS, Tank or Healer) and matches them with an analog of the same rank on the other team. This means that in the Ranked Solo queue you will always have a character of the same role for ones you have! No four healers versus four tanks matches here! We think this is a very exciting feature of the Solo Queue as it allows for team parity and creates better matched, more enjoyable PvP experiences. In Group Ranked Arenas however team composition is up to the group. Group Ranked Arenas will still have matchmaking based off of rating but role parity will not be a requirement
This is specifically talking about RANKED, not regular queue. So yeah, that is going to be possible... absolutely hilarious.

sanchito
08.14.2013 , 12:38 PM | #217
how are backfills going to be handled in Arenas if someone leaves? Are they considered dead for the round or for the whole match?

funkiestj
08.14.2013 , 12:39 PM | #218
Will Bioware compensate my employer for all the time I've wasted excitedly reading blog posts and forum posts about 2.4 PvP? If yes, do I need to fill out a 26B/6 form?

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

CrygonFreeze
08.14.2013 , 12:40 PM | #219
Alex,

One question I don't think I saw in this long thread is will there be stats displayed after each match like 8-man warzones such as overall DPS, Heals, Protection, etc.?
Just call me Mr. Miller

cycao
08.14.2013 , 12:40 PM | #220
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post
Moreover, this will cause one game-breaking problem that may not have bee considered: people will regularly leave matches which are not of the type they wished to play. When queing for non-ranked PvP, a person who wanted an arena will leave regular matches and vice versa. This will happen in quite nearly every match.
A very just statement.