Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Warzone Arenas
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ceelaniri
08.14.2013 , 10:16 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
You are considered DPS and your team will not like you very much
Alrighty!

Thx a lot!

Will there be any way to prevent people from abusing from this, like Negative vote etc?
Masamoto Pentesilhea

FearAngerHate
08.14.2013 , 10:17 AM | #102
OK, NOW will you introduce cross-server PvP queues so matchmaker will have a better chance at finding closer matches? Not to mention faster queues...

JonCame
08.14.2013 , 10:18 AM | #103
Do us a favour will you Alex?

You stated in your post about the removal of ranked warzones.

Answer the questions being put forward in this thread by the COMPETITIVE PvP community instead of dodging around them? Hardly doing your post justice leaving every stone unturned.
Glory - Assassin

Jadescythe
08.14.2013 , 10:20 AM | #104
1) Why remove functionality that is already in place (8v8 ranked) no matter how few people are using it? I mean, you wouldn't start pulling NiM Operations and have a SM Operation/FP queue with a separate group/individual HM FP queue if there was a small segment of the population participating in NiM Operations. I'm sure just as few people do the heroics on Taris, but they aren't getting pulled from the game.

2) Why are arenas and 8v8 in the same reg queue? While they both pit players against each other, they are very different styles. This is why you have the ability to queue for either FPs or Operations in the group finder queue.

Also, you'll never get the map you want. You'll have a 1/10 chance of getting the new Huttball map when it comes out since everything is one queue. And you'll still probably have 6 Hypergates in a row instead.
I have opinions and stuff

MeRRR
08.14.2013 , 10:20 AM | #105
Current spec.
If I am playing a hybrid Sawbones/Dirty Fighting scoundrel, what role am I filling?
Do i still get to play?

Just a hypothetical, I'm sure you guys thought about this, as there are other hybrids out there that float in between two roles.

aflemos
08.14.2013 , 10:21 AM | #106
I think all these changes are for the best and will make the PVP scene alot more enjoyable for us.

HOWEVER, the main problem with PVP in TOR is open world PVP. That is where I'd like to see changes.
Right now, theres absolutly no advantage in doing open world PVP. We get nothing (except annoying people) by engaging players out in the open world. There's no commendation or valor reward for killing a player of the same (or close to) level than ours. While I understand this would be fine for PVE servers, it shouldnt be for PVP servers.

And also, Its been well over a year. Time to bring back the damn chat bubbles no?? I still remember the sad comment "When we turned chat bubbles on there was major graphics lag so we took them down.".
Sounds to me like they needed to get fixed, not taken down. I mean, other games can do it. Bioware cant?

Just my two cents.
Peace.

Glower
08.14.2013 , 10:22 AM | #107
Quote:
As a solo player or a group of up to four characters you can join the Warzones queue which will place you and your group into a Warzone of a random type, including Arenas. In other words, there are no changes to the Normal queue except the addition of another gametype, Arena.
Please... allow to skip arenas in non RWZ queue!
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

Greenify
08.14.2013 , 10:22 AM | #108
What are your plans on the gear gap being? Should a group of players in lower tier PvP gear or even pve gear have small chance at beating the higher tier geared? Do you like where its at right now? Also, will the new PvP gear be brought in line with the pve gear to allow them to do harder ops.
E.g have them both 78 as max level or so we thing jot 65 for PvP and 75 for pve
I think this is probably a disguised bolster question I didn't even realize I was writing.
Sorry but I never understood the gear coming from console gaming where everyone was equal regardless of gear.

Also are current wz maps being retired or will they be staying?

AlexModny
08.14.2013 , 10:22 AM | #109 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by JarenWelen View Post
Firstly, you said in a previous post that you'll be keeping the 10-29, 30-54 and 55 brackets for Arenas. How will this work in terms of Ranked matches? Will the 10-29 and 30-54 brackets be considered "Non-Ranked" Arenas or will sub-55 players now be able to participate in Ranked?
Ranked is only for max level characters.

Secondly, how will a player's role be determined? Is it going to be a system similar to Group Finder, where you declare your role? Or will it be based off of Skill Tree distribution, gear, stances when applicable, etc.? I only ask since I can think of some hybrid instances when someone heavily invested in a Damage tree could actually be geared and "stanced" for Tanking. E.g. Defense/Vigilance hybrid.
Role is determined by your characters current specialization in the Skill Tree.

Finally, can we queue for both 4v4 Arenas and regular 8v8 Warzones (non-Ranked) at the same time or do we need to choose one or the other?
You can join the Warzone queue to participate in them both.
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

idnewton
08.14.2013 , 10:24 AM | #110
You are considered DPS and your team will not like you very much
A player shouldn't be capable of queuing without a spec. I agree with the other player who said that all points should be spent before queuing. Solo queue has always sucked, but if a player forgets to spend their points (or purposefully goes in trying to annoy other players) it will only make things worse. You can easily make it so that all points must be spent. It would fix this problem completely.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL 55s: 15 10/10 HM DREAD OPS
ETERNAL WARRIOR CONQUEROR OF THE DREAD FORTRESS
30/30 Dread Fortress PVP BEST IN SLOT 4/5 NiM DP