Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sex and the Force

loopgru
12.21.2011 , 01:43 PM | #1
So, one of the many reasons I went Empire was that I knew that the constant "oh, gee, you care about someone, HAVE SOME DS POINTS" was going to annoy the bejeebus out of me... but, as it turns out, I get the same treatment as a Sith?

Spoiler

So, let me get this straight.

Being a total unrepentant jerk to someone is A-OK.
Storming through the streets painting them red with the blood of your enemies, perfectly fine.
As a BH, shooting your way through a tribal village and walking off with a head as a trophy? Wonderful!

...but a G-rated reference to possibly enjoying the consensual company of someone of the opposite sex earns
Spoiler
DS points?

This puritanical nonsense doesn't belong on the Sith side of the line. Grumble.

(Note: Yes, I did. And they were my first DS points on this character.)

Calkinator
12.21.2011 , 01:46 PM | #2
it makes perfect sense for jedi and sith. not so much for anyone else though
sith live through their passions, jedi try to see through them

basically if you want to lay everyone you can and get no darkside points i'd suggest rolling something other than a force user

Nef-one
12.21.2011 , 01:46 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by loopgru View Post
So, one of the many reasons I went Empire was that I knew that the constant "oh, gee, you care about someone, HAVE SOME DS POINTS" was going to annoy the bejeebus out of me... but, as it turns out, I get the same treatment as a Sith?

Spoiler

So, let me get this straight.

Being a total unrepentant jerk to someone is A-OK.
Storming through the streets painting them red with the blood of your enemies, perfectly fine.
As a BH, shooting your way through a tribal village and walking off with a head as a trophy? Wonderful!

...but a G-rated reference to possibly enjoying the consensual company of someone of the opposite sex earns
Spoiler
DS points?

This puritanical nonsense doesn't belong on the Sith side of the line. Grumble.

(Note: Yes, I did. And they were my first DS points on this character.)
Emotions = Darkside

You don't need emotions to be a jerk.

Natarii
12.21.2011 , 01:51 PM | #4
In the particular quest to which you're referring, you're really not showing genuine care for the young lady. You're using her for your own pleasure and edification, hence the darkside points. The neutral, or light side thing to do would really be to just let her be. I went down the darkside path with my inquisitor, had my way with her, and then down the story line, she tries to 'stay in contact' with you and your response choices are basically 'i'm washing my hair', 'it's not gonna happen' or 'go away'.

Clearly, she has fullfilled her role in your character's mind, and he has no more use for her. Again, clearly darkside.
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire

EvanSnowWolf
12.21.2011 , 01:51 PM | #5
I can burn off those dark side points in one flashpoint.

This is a non-issue.
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.

loopgru
12.21.2011 , 02:01 PM | #6
This isn't about metagaming the DS/LS points, it's about the story.

As for "you're just using her," that's really not how it's presented.

Spoiler

Finally... Well, there aren't all that many occasions to quote Van Halen, so I'll avail myself of this one- I ain't talkin' bout love.

Natarii
12.21.2011 , 02:15 PM | #7
I agree that the choices with which you're presented during conversation are a little bit vague. They seem innocent enough, but the dialog those choices actually generate are darker than what the choice implied. It's like that super charismatic guy in the movies who's basically just a playboy and tells the girls what they want to hear to get less dressed! Going through that story arc, it seemed to me that my character really could care less what she had to say, and just wanted his turn on the town bike!
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire

FlashbackJon
12.21.2011 , 02:16 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Nef-one View Post
Emotions = Darkside
More or less this.

Long story short, light side / dark side is not a morality scorecard.

Short story long, anything by Dickens.
Adoko Kooba, Sith Marauder
Republic Mercy Corps | Imperial Mercenary Corps

Explorer 80, Socializer 80, Achiever 33, Killer 7

Silvermink
12.21.2011 , 04:06 PM | #9
The light side Jedi finds love opens you up to emotions that can lead to the Dark Side (aka Anakin Skywalker).

The dark side Sith finds love a sign of weakness. Both sides try to discourage it during training. As for non force users, I don't know how the game deals with it.

I'm not sure if I read that in game lore or on the Wookiepedia.

gardeford
12.21.2011 , 04:11 PM | #10
Thats also in Kotor. the two jedi love each other at the academy, and they end up running away and getting eaten by 2 tarentateks :3