Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sith Assassin Tank Help

Gaff
12.24.2011 , 06:55 PM | #21
Not quite sure what I am doing wrong. I feel so squishy.. in PvP and even while leveling. I'm level 31 and am a point away from being done witth the Darkness tree before I switch over to the Madness tree for that PvP Darkness/Madness hybrid spec. I'm not sure if it's just because I'm bad at Darkness or I am equipped poorly. As far as equipment goes I stay up to date via commendations and quest rewards, but I'm not sure if the quest reward gear is giving me enough defensive stats or not. Using Andronikos for a companion (should I switch to Talos when I get him?)

Could also use some advice on a PvP priority list.. not sure if I should be using Discharge or not. XD
"You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

SeanWadey
12.24.2011 , 07:57 PM | #22
I myself am a level 40 sin tank, and I must agree, we are at first quite squishy. In my recent levels though I've found myself becoming more tank like, and at 40 I can now hold aggro and take a beating. People need to remember that without a healer a tank is not a tank. You will die like everyone else if you're trying to "Tank" solo.
P.S. Apparantly Sin is the BEST end-game tank atm, shortly followed by Powertech and lastly Juggernaut.

ThrasherGX
12.24.2011 , 10:07 PM | #23
actually dark charge reduces YOUR melee BONUS dmg by %5. Its easy to see if u check ur bonus dmg in lightning or surging charge, the switch to dark charge
It dosent give any flat reduction to incoming dmg at all

Baneberry
12.24.2011 , 11:59 PM | #24
The mis-information floating around in here is dumbfounding.

1. Assassins are main tanks just like the jug or the power tech.

2. a: With full tank talents, and Dark Charge (http://www.torhead.com/ability/8BYQlTM) active, assassins have around 5% less armor then their Jug/PowerT counterparts.

b: They make up for the lack of armor with the ability called Dark Ward (http://www.torhead.com/ability/3X6mJje) giving the Assassin a 15% increased chance to reduce incoming damage with their personal shield generators. That's 15% more block chance then Jugs and powerT's

3. The Assassin can reduce his enemies chance to hit by 5% by using Discharge (http://www.torhead.com/ability/gSR6vEL) while Dark Charge is active.

4. The assassin can reduce his enemies damage by 5% by hitting them with Wither (http://www.torhead.com/ability/49pDsvl), its the final talent in the tank tree.

Any more questions? Just ask.
I bring you pain, the kind you cant suffer quietly!

fuzzyhavoc
01.16.2012 , 07:22 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Windkull View Post
The problem is that its actually much more like DK tanking than Druid tanking when you try it .

I've done both and I don't feel like I have any issues tanking almost anything as an assassin, the mitigation etc is all there, but I must say, and equally geared juggernaught especially on a single hard hitting melee boss, has much less chance to get spiked down it seems. Maybe there will be some high armor pieces to take advantage of the multiplier at level 50, but for now, when the hits connect I feel it more than the powertech/jugg. Pretty easy to see this too in PVP, I maul light armor for over 3k, but had a crit only do 1300 against a trooper, while I hit a tank sage for ~1800 crits.

That said, the slight bit of extra damage I take usually upsets the healers less than the loss of agro a lot of the jugg tanks are having at least up to the 30s. I still feel very cooldown dependant though for pretty much both agro and mitigation, so its a style for a twitchier player.

It Seems like the issue there was the trooper you were fighting was in a full set of pvp gear making his expertise too high for you to handle, or you did not have enough accuracy over 100 to increase armor pen, or a combo of those 2, either way thats pvp in general and has no real application to tanking, there is a assasin tank in my guid with 4 pieces of the battle master pvp set, and in warzones he destroys anything and probably the hardest thing to kill cause of tank stats and pvp stats
in other news, im at 20 at the moment and having biochem i have been able to solo every thing from black talon to all heroic2's as an assasin tank with no panic moments or wishing i had a healer,

cmagrad
01.16.2012 , 07:39 AM | #26
Assassin tanks are more like Paladin tanking from WoW then Druid

Dark ward is temp buff that increases shield chance - holy shield
Dark Guard you get small healing from hits - Seals
AoE ability that debuffs - HoR
Assassinate - HoW
You have choice between single target or AoE melee attacks - CS / HoR

Wearing light armor has no affect as talents will bring us up to Heavy armor levels.
Now if only they fixed shields to work with non white attacks ......

Tallyhoe
01.16.2012 , 08:34 AM | #27
I am posting my stats from my assassin tank right now without any buffs.. just with dark charge active and dark ward up.

Defense chance is 27.78% chance(30% is cap)
Absorption chance is 35.54%(When shield i take that much less damage from the attack after damage reduction)
Shield chance(with dark ward active and 4 piece is..) 55.56%
21,757 HP(not buffed)
Damage reduction is 42.67% from armor with dark charge active. Thats 47.67% keeping wither active

Soo, basically... sith assassins have a VERY strong mitigation. My health never spikes.. Most people that claim they are with Assassin tanks and their health spikes is mostly, because most of the assassin tanking gear is poorly itemized. They all have absorb and accuracy. Frankly, I dont have hardly any accuracy at all and I hold aggro very well. I also run with 31 build with Whither.. which is 5% extra damage reduction.

The self healing is timed nicely during an uninterrupted lash of attacks with your 3 charge with your force lightning is nice. People say its just "Meh" but its very powerful IMO 3% your total health EVERY tick of chain lightning damage.. Its pretty big when you have 23k HP raid buffed.. nice little heal. Chain lightning ticks about.. 3-4 times.. so thats 9-12% of your health..

Also.. since shield cap is 50%.. on top of darkward... we have the potential to hit 65%-70%(unlikely with current gear) shield rating. Jugs will ONLY ever have 50%

Now our Cooldowns.
Deflect 50% range defense and melee defense- 2min cd

Force shroud(when speced into have 5 secs) of PURE FORCE AND TECH IMMUNITY as well as wiping all current negative status clean from your character(but not bleeding) 45 sec CD

Juggernauts CDs

Invincible
Instant
Cooldown: 3 minutes
Reduces all damage taken by 40% for 10 seconds.

Saber Ward
Instant
Cooldown: 3 minutes
Raises a lightsaber ward, increasing melee and ranged defenses by 50% and reducing the damage taken from Force and tech attacks by 25%. Lasts 12 seconds.

I personally say ours is more WIN!

I use force shroud like it ain't no bodies business.

Also on the whole.. we make up for not having as much armor.. by having stupid amounts of HP as well.
As for saying assassin tanks health is spikey.. well they have been with assassin tanks that stack absorb and not touch their augments =p.. me.. I farmed pvp gear for the shield/def rating gear.. F having high absorb.. whats the point of absorbing 45% of the damage when you shield.. if you never shield =p

EDIT:
1.1 they are increasing the amount of self healing we get from dark charge.. WIN!

and increasing wither damage.. MORE WIN! 15% more high amount of threat.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200bIrokrskbsZZf0cM.1

I think i use the typical build. Any questions PM me.
‘Twas a woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her.”

Ajahax
01.22.2012 , 01:29 PM | #28
Once again! Thanks for all of your help!
When the SITH goes GOOD
Pax et Imperium|Forum

Cichard
01.22.2012 , 01:39 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by cmagrad View Post
Assassin tanks are more like Paladin tanking from WoW then Druid

Dark ward is temp buff that increases shield chance - holy shield
Dark Guard you get small healing from hits - Seals
AoE ability that debuffs - HoR
Assassinate - HoW
You have choice between single target or AoE melee attacks - CS / HoR

Wearing light armor has no affect as talents will bring us up to Heavy armor levels.
Now if only they fixed shields to work with non white attacks ......
shields work fine they are working as intended. You can not Defened or Shield against Internal or Elemental damge. they can only be resisted. Everything else you can Defend or sheild against.
Quote:
The order in which you will gain entry into EGA is dependent on how early you burned your Pre-Order Code. The earlier you burned your Pre-Order Code, the earlier you will be granted entry into EGA.

TAKAIMASURAO
03.16.2012 , 02:04 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by droopaloop View Post
You are so wrong...not only have the devs made it clear about 30 times that all tanks can be MTs but I have a SA tank lv 25 and (other than idiot dps warriors jumping in for the first hit) have had no trouble tanking, keeping aggro and staying alive.
Not all of us Marauders are idiots <>..<>