Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sith Assassin Tank Help

Ajahax
12.21.2011 , 01:38 PM | #1
Hello, all!
Having and have always had a tank role at heart....I strive to do just that with the the sith inquisitor.

I would reallly like some advice on how to best build and play this stealthy tank.
All advice about builds, armor, rotations, etc would be helpful!

Also, any links to some great sith assasin tank guides would be appreciated.

-Ajahax

Morce
12.21.2011 , 01:56 PM | #2
First thing, SA is not a MT, SA is a OT.

That is it.
MORCE ESOVI-SIN TANK | BAMF ESOVI- OP HEALS / LETHALTY
DREADWALKERS

Siinduu
12.21.2011 , 02:21 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ajahax View Post
Hello, all!
Having and have always had a tank role at heart....I strive to do just that with the the sith inquisitor.

I would reallly like some advice on how to best build and play this stealthy tank.
All advice about builds, armor, rotations, etc would be helpful!

Also, any links to some great sith assasin tank guides would be appreciated.

-Ajahax
I found this guide helpful. You CAN MT as an assassin.

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread...ing-Compendium

Mindbane
12.21.2011 , 02:24 PM | #4
Yeah the first replier is wrong all tanks and all healers are designed to be able to main tank or heal.

Windkull
12.21.2011 , 02:43 PM | #5
However, because of the different mechanics certain classes are better at certain situations. Assassin tanks can hold aoe and main agro very well. Problem is they are the most prone to being spiked by one big hit. As the "avoidance" tank your always a few unlucky rolls away from taking 2 big hits and going down, which the mitigation tanks don't have to face as an issue.

That said, assassins have lots of activateable abilities and can be more reactive than their counterparts. Probably not the best tank for the hardest single target dps bosses around, but a good choice for some content nonetheless.

gkshow
12.21.2011 , 03:04 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Morce View Post

That is it.
2nd thing, please ignore this.

Check out the sticky in the Assasin forums. It's got some great information.

I'm personally leveling with the 25/0/16 hybrid built. From what I've heard (I just hit level 14), you don't need to level up as a "full tank" spec. You can go with a hybrid built or a variation.

You don't have to gimp your personal dps and leveling speed just to MT flashpoints.

Again, check out the sticky, it covers lots of good points and builts. I think there are 2 main builts: 31/0/10 and the hybrid that I mentioned.

If you're going with the hybrid built, finish the Darkness tree first, then go with Madness.

In terms of rotation, I was adv'd of this for my built:

25/0/16 Tank/DPS hybrid
DPS:
1. Crushing Darkness (raze proc, no dot on target)
2. Recklessness (energize proc)
3. Shock (energize proc, <3 targets)
4. Dark ward (<2 seconds remaining, or 2 or fewer charges remaining)
5. Death field.
6. Crushing Darkness (raze proc, focus < 80, dot already on target)
7. Discharge (no dmg reduction debuff on target)
8. Thrash (single target and <3 targets, energy > 60)
9. Lacerate (3 or more targets)
10. Saber strike.

Tanking:
1. Dark ward (prior to pull, and whenever its about to fall off)
2. Discharge (no debuff on target, or debuff about to wear off)
3. Death Field
4. Crushing Darkness (raze proc).
5. continue with dps rotation here.
6. Discharge is one of your worst dps abilities. It is only useful for aoe threat and to keep the damage debuff up. The duration of the debuff is 18 seconds, the cd is 15 seconds. You can safely use another gcd (or two, but 1 to be safe) between the cd coming up and the debuff wearing off. It is lowest priority otherwise.

Now keep in mind, some of the abilities here won't be available until late 20s or early 30s.

So until then, try to maximize your damage/force and use your CDs wisely.

droopaloop
12.21.2011 , 03:19 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Morce View Post

That is it.
You are so wrong...not only have the devs made it clear about 30 times that all tanks can be MTs but I have a SA tank lv 25 and (other than idiot dps warriors jumping in for the first hit) have had no trouble tanking, keeping aggro and staying alive.

Drupac
12.21.2011 , 03:23 PM | #8
I level with deception, but ive tanked the first 3 flashpoints and plenty of heroic quests so far without much problem. Just throw your shield generator on, turn on dark charge, guard someone and you're good.

I usually discharge from stealth to get aoe threat and keep it up for accuracy debuff, and mostly use thrash to keep up single target threat. Since I'm deception build shock is good threat w/ 2 stacks of induction. Lacerate is more good aoe threat at lvl 26. Force speed is helpful in knockback situations or against final boss of Mandalorian Raiders.

Nothing too ground breaking here.. I imagine at higher level content a deep Darkness build will be required for the extra armor, shield %, and other threat goodies. But yea after level 14 if you know how to hold agro and have a decent healer whose paying attention, you can MT anything in level range.

Katahn
12.21.2011 , 03:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Windkull View Post
However, because of the different mechanics certain classes are better at certain situations. Assassin tanks can hold aoe and main agro very well. Problem is they are the most prone to being spiked by one big hit. As the "avoidance" tank your always a few unlucky rolls away from taking 2 big hits and going down, which the mitigation tanks don't have to face as an issue.

That said, assassins have lots of activateable abilities and can be more reactive than their counterparts. Probably not the best tank for the hardest single target dps bosses around, but a good choice for some content nonetheless.
SA's are not "avoidance tanks", they use a combination of talents and abilities to give them similar mitigation values to what are enjoyed by BHs and SWs. The reference to them having "slightly higher avoidance" combined with their base armor being "light" has created the very false perception that they depend on dodging.

I'll point out that there are two other MMOs that have mitigation-type tanks that do not wear the heaviest armors in their respective games. These tanks also use a combination of talents and class abilities to mimic the effect of heavy armor. When was the last time anyone ever confused a druid tank in WoW with an "evasion tank"?
Katahn
- Just an aging geek that remembers seeing Ep4 in the theater as a kid and knows that Han shot first!

Ajahax
12.21.2011 , 03:26 PM | #10
Thanks for all of this great advice!!!
When the SITH goes GOOD
Pax et Imperium|Forum