Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

So how is slicing?


Racheakt's Avatar


Racheakt
12.21.2011 , 02:26 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Wren_Atticus View Post
Slicing is over-hyped. It is good for short-term investment. But in the long-haul those who went with missions and crafting will have more money than the slicers.
This.

Peeps are getting all wrapped around the axle by their panty knots because slicing gives credits outright without realizing that selling the gathered mats from other gathering skills would in most cases yield more credits.

Matty-Wan's Avatar


Matty-Wan
12.21.2011 , 02:34 PM | #12
say, if you drop a skill to pick up slicing, if you take it back up again later, do you retain your initial progress? Somehow I think not.
Its Starwarsy and Iconic. RIP SWG

DarthBloodloss's Avatar


DarthBloodloss
12.21.2011 , 02:39 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Matty-Wan View Post
say, if you drop a skill to pick up slicing, if you take it back up again later, do you retain your initial progress? Somehow I think not.
No you dont retain the skill level
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Tomidius's Avatar


Tomidius
12.21.2011 , 03:01 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Racheakt View Post
This.

Peeps are getting all wrapped around the axle by their panty knots because slicing gives credits outright without realizing that selling the gathered mats from other gathering skills would in most cases yield more credits.


Have you tried this? Are you just a complete moron spouting off stuff you have no idea about? I assume your slicing and havnt tried to sell mats from other professions

Gathered mats do not sell for close to what the cost of the mission is vendor wise, and they do not sell to players at the moment either..

Until crafted items are in demand, they wont sell for profit on the GTN either

Dodd's Avatar


Dodd
12.21.2011 , 03:09 PM | #15
As of last night, I was level 23, had 120K credits in bank account.

Today I am level 26, speeder training paid off, one DDE speeder and one purchased speeder and fully upgraded starship for my level, as well as unlocked my first extra inventory slot and am back to 105K. Granted I was sending companions off quite a bit yesterday evening and early this morning.

If you want money in a hurry, then slicing is the way to go. I suspect that once the economy takes off and people start buying and crafting more, mats will sell more and more on Galatic Trade and people will also earn decent money doing this.

But I wanted a quick and dirty way to make money, and I certainly don't regret taking slicing.
Dodd Formeianna
<ALVIS>

CapC's Avatar


CapC
12.21.2011 , 03:16 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Tomidius View Post
Have you tried this? Are you just a complete moron spouting off stuff you have no idea about? I assume your slicing and havnt tried to sell mats from other professions

Gathered mats do not sell for close to what the cost of the mission is vendor wise, and they do not sell to players at the moment either..

Until crafted items are in demand, they wont sell for profit on the GTN either
+1

i got my UT and scav to about 150 before I dropped UT for slicing... I'll tell you one thing... my bank roll has never been so high. I tried selling mats and eventually resorted to crafting the items and selling them.

I have seen no other skill that you can spend 1k to go on a mission and come back 20 min later with 4-5k (non crit).

Its good. Use it until they nerf it then switch back.

AsinineTangent's Avatar


AsinineTangent
12.21.2011 , 03:20 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by CapC View Post
I have seen no other skill that you can spend 1k to go on a mission and come back 20 min later with 4-5k (non crit).
This is a flat out lie. Anything above a white box is a crit. Green boxes are crits. A white box will give you a small +/- of the mission cost. And you have a lot more money after going from UT to slicing because you're no longer flushing money down the drain with UT.

Even a 3k profit after a 30m mission by getting a green box isn't amazing, sorry. And this is what you're looking at with grade 5-6 missions. Hell, a wealthy return unlocked mission (2h30m) will only give you about 8-9k. Not profit, total. This is nothing to a level 40-50.

Racheakt's Avatar


Racheakt
12.21.2011 , 03:39 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Tomidius View Post
Have you tried this? Are you just a complete moron spouting off stuff you have no idea about? I assume your slicing and havnt tried to sell mats from other professions

Gathered mats do not sell for close to what the cost of the mission is vendor wise, and they do not sell to players at the moment either..

Until crafted items are in demand, they wont sell for profit on the GTN either
Yes I do.

But I have done most of the crafting profs (long time beta)

but then again i am selling most of my gathered mats from my other gathering skills -- new MMO new economy credits > all at this point. Once raiding credits and drops dominate the market then the perceived "OPness" of slicing will diminish.

I also buy UT mats, rather than run missions for the rare metals for Cyber.

I am Cyber/Slice/Scavanging. I sell the scavage mats that I no longer can level up with on the market, slice for some cash reinvest that money into UT metals to make blue/purple mods for use and sell. The folks getting 200-500 credit a pop for one blue metal right now are not complaining i have slicing (i hope)

This is how an economy gets started on a server.

Stop trying to be self sufficient, depend on others in the game to go and get things too. Most folks are probably using their mats to level crafting and not selling them leading them to be broke because they are relying solely on vendor trash, quest rewards, and mob credits for income.

Liquidhal's Avatar


Liquidhal
12.21.2011 , 03:42 PM | #19
Most people overlook the gathering nodes from slicing as you're questing. On Taaris (Level ~35) They hold roughly 800-1200 credits each with 4-5k mediums once in a while. These are pure profit. The credits off gathering nodes dwarf running missions. At least if you spend most of your time questing. If you're leveling equally via space combat, pvp, and flashpoints, slicing may not be as worthwhile.

But yes, at 50 most will be more focused on pvp and flashpoints, so it makes sense at that point to drop slicing for a tertiary gathering skill.

Racheakt's Avatar


Racheakt
12.21.2011 , 03:52 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidhal View Post
Most people overlook the gathering nodes from slicing as you're questing. On Taaris (Level ~35) They hold roughly 800-1200 credits each with 4-5k mediums once in a while. These are pure profit. The credits off gathering nodes dwarf running missions. At least if you spend most of your time questing. If you're leveling equally via space combat, pvp, and flashpoints, slicing may not be as worthwhile.

But yes, at 50 most will be more focused on pvp and flashpoints, so it makes sense at that point to drop slicing for a tertiary gathering skill.
Correct the real money in slicing is the world nodes, not the crew missions. I do the crew missions while in an instance or PvPing.

But world nodes has its own issues, like demand, if there is another slicer around they tend to nab the node while you stand on the node.