Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Khosann
08.14.2013 , 01:26 AM | #71
1) They did this to compete with bright colors of Neverwinter MMORPG.

2) It is a workaround. Not a palette change. Palette change means using different colors. This is Instagram.

3) Therefore results are good at some areas, bad at some areas. Just compare Star Wars Episode VI Jabba's Palace with Hutt Palaces in game (Makeb is different. There they used a different color palette. Makeb looks much better than the rest of the game).

4) Lots of personal taste involved. But due to human psychology many people will get used to it.

5) This does not solve the main problem. Since the game was costly Bioware cut corners. They did not use many different texture packs and they let computer choose the complementary colors. So adding Instagram filters will not make the game look less drab. Besides on some monitors it will look awful. I am using a Toshiba Regza TV with excellent auto color adjustment so I was lucky.

6) For the same reason art is very "industrial" and toolset looking. There are no truly different areas or original face characters. Even the Neverwinter Nights from 2002 looked better than this. Is there a true difference between Dromund Kaas, Nar Shaddaa, Dark Approach and Coruscant? Placeables are different that's it. No true cinematics.

7 Solution: Redesign the game. Practicality, none. We are stuck with bland character designs. Same "American" Jack Kirby looking white man angular faces "dot noses". Just Marvel Comics GIJoe 1984 fetishism. Pheh! And I hate to see Gand and Mon Calamari using the same humanoid body and the same military posture. Seriously people.

8 Some people say that the game imitates WoW. I have no issues with that. WoW perfected online video gaming, game mechanics and user interface. No need to re-invent anything. In fact I am using classic GUI layout. But I wish they had imitated WoW more as in creating truly unique looking environments and characters.

9 Finally, with so many "corner cuts" I will never see why this game cost this much, except administrative and logistics failure.
There is no mistake.

idnewton
08.14.2013 , 01:56 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Khosann View Post
1) They did this to compete with bright colors of Neverwinter MMORPG.

2) It is a workaround. Not a palette change. Palette change means using different colors. This is Instagram.

3) Therefore results are good at some areas, bad at some areas. Just compare Star Wars Episode VI Jabba's Palace with Hutt Palaces in game (Makeb is different. There they used a different color palette. Makeb looks much better than the rest of the game).

4) Lots of personal taste involved. But due to human psychology many people will get used to it.

5) This does not solve the main problem. Since the game was costly Bioware cut corners. They did not use many different texture packs and they let computer choose the complementary colors. So adding Instagram filters will not make the game look less drab. Besides on some monitors it will look awful. I am using a Toshiba Regza TV with excellent auto color adjustment so I was lucky.

6) For the same reason art is very "industrial" and toolset looking. There are no truly different areas or original face characters. Even the Neverwinter Nights from 2002 looked better than this. Is there a true difference between Dromund Kaas, Nar Shaddaa, Dark Approach and Coruscant? Placeables are different that's it. No true cinematics.

7 Solution: Redesign the game. Practicality, none. We are stuck with bland character designs. Same "American" Jack Kirby looking white man angular faces "dot noses". Just Marvel Comics GIJoe 1984 fetishism. Pheh! And I hate to see Gand and Mon Calamari using the same humanoid body and the same military posture. Seriously people.

8 Some people say that the game imitates WoW. I have no issues with that. WoW perfected online video gaming, game mechanics and user interface. No need to re-invent anything. In fact I am using classic GUI layout. But I wish they had imitated WoW more as in creating truly unique looking environments and characters.

9 Finally, with so many "corner cuts" I will never see why this game cost this much, except administrative and logistics failure.
And yet nowhere in that long, boring rant did you remember to mention why we as subscribers should care. We all pay to be here. You must be fairly delusional to believe that a few lines of whining is going to sway us from enjoying the game.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL 55s: 15 10/10 HM DREAD OPS
ETERNAL WARRIOR CONQUEROR OF THE DREAD FORTRESS
30/30 DREAD FORTRESS PVP BEST IN SLOT 4/5 NiM DP

Khosann
08.14.2013 , 03:26 AM | #73
You are delusional in the sense that my goal is to drive you away fanboy . In fact I immensely enjoy the game and I am a regular player.

Second, this is criticism not whining but for fanboys like you every criticism is whining. Same delusion in the last 15 years of MMOs. You think that just because we criticize something we should shut up, don't play and don't state our opinions on forums. Who are you to think so hımm? Voluntary crowd control slave for forums, ultimate teenage mentality.

And you ARE delusional in the sense that you don't care and yet you post a reply. I welcome opinions but not bias. Let opinions fill the forum. Not personal bias or attacks. Lol! And he thinks just because he replied like this he won the argument. He never saw a long post...

BTW this reply is a courtesy to all fanboys and you will not get anymore answers from me for this polemic. But this will not stop me of stating my opinions now or in the future. So shoo!
There is no mistake.

idnewton
08.14.2013 , 09:22 AM | #74
You are delusional in the sense that my goal is to drive you away fanboy . In fact I immensely enjoy the game and I am a regular player.

Second, this is criticism not whining but for fanboys like you every criticism is whining. Same delusion in the last 15 years of MMOs. You think that just because we criticize something we should shut up, don't play and don't state our opinions on forums. Who are you to think so hımm? Voluntary crowd control slave for forums, ultimate teenage mentality.

And you ARE delusional in the sense that you don't care and yet you post a reply. I welcome opinions but not bias. Let opinions fill the forum. Not personal bias or attacks. Lol! And he thinks just because he replied like this he won the argument. He never saw a long post...

BTW this reply is a courtesy to all fanboys and you will not get anymore answers from me for this polemic. But this will not stop me of stating my opinions now or in the future. So shoo!
You only think yourself to be right because of your own ignorance. Read any of my posts. I'm a realist, not a fanboy. You're vastly overdramatizing the situation.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL 55s: 15 10/10 HM DREAD OPS
ETERNAL WARRIOR CONQUEROR OF THE DREAD FORTRESS
30/30 DREAD FORTRESS PVP BEST IN SLOT 4/5 NiM DP

TUXs
08.14.2013 , 09:40 AM | #75

I like you Great reply!!!!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Shimunna
08.15.2013 , 02:38 PM | #76
LOVE the changes! Keep up the good work guys!

Caloss
08.26.2013 , 10:17 AM | #77
I think the love/hate response is dependent on system configuration and by a massive margin monitor type.
Personally as I work with video and photographic images I _have_ to use an IPS monitor JFGI hehe.
But basically that means far greater image clarity and truer colour/contrast/saturation/shadow depth and to quite honest the "improvements" don't stack up well on this type of monitor; the retouching looks over done and over saturated (nasty instagram filter style) but does look better on a standard monitor which I also use for proofing images.

I think an on off toggle is definitely in order here editing the game sys file is not really fair as, a lot of people won't want to touch itit will look also terrible on low end monitors with low contrast ratios ie and to save typing an essay:

http://www.slrlounge.com/what-is-an-...g-ips-displays one of the better explainations I've seen posted.

Now I can't possibly show how different they look even with links to pics etc as you honestly have to sit in front of two different monitor types to see it, but it really is quite drastic. You will not really see the difference until you do.
What looks like a well edited picture can look like utter garbage when viewed on an IPS as you can see where the editing has been done (in bad way brush strokes dodging and burning) etc.

So yeah sure fiddle with graphics, but I think certainly make it an option from inside the normal game graphics options.

Umwak
08.26.2013 , 01:46 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Solloby View Post
I agree completely.

Most areas look great - I love what you've done to the Imperial Fleet & Voss, but please take another look at Hoth. If you tilt your camera up the sky looks white and you pretty much go snow blind. It is eye blindingly white and makes you want to shade your eyes and grab a pair of sunglasses. I love Hoth's appearance so I really hope the artists take another look there and tone it down a bit so we can squint less when we're there.

Thanks for the changes in the other areas though! So far the ones I have visited look fine apart from Hoth.
I came to this thread to say pretty much the same thing. Hoth is now a study in contrasts between pure white and pure blue. I like this change in most other instances, but on Hoth, it doesn't work. Please take another pass, BW!