Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

mattchanner
08.12.2013 , 02:06 PM | #61
noticed it right away and it was a very nice change thx
U MAD? Let go of your Anger.
Look I made a Dumb fan video too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USRec...el_video_title

Jannisett
08.12.2013 , 02:29 PM | #62
The pictures shown in your article make this change look fabulous. HOWEVER, I just spent last night running around Hoth and I truly do HATE the changes there. Removing the yellows does not make the planet feel colder to me; I thought the original palette (along with the music/atmospheric sound) did a GREAT job of making me feel cold. The original artists had clearly noticed that snowscapes are rarely white and so used a variety of violets and blues, as well as reflecting the colour of the sun off the ice. It was very beautiful and, yes, cold. Currently it's too painfully and unremittingly shades of cobalt blue. Thus, while the "un-natural" effect MAY be what you were going for, it simply looks totally unreal to me and pulls me out of my willing suspension of disbelief. It also makes the landscape have slightly less depth-of-field. I can see using that sort of limited palette in a limited way - inside a cave system, for instance (which, I know, you've done in various places on various planets <smile>). But not over an entire planet. It makes my eyes hurt.

I hope no mission ever forces me to Hoth again. Ever. (Which would be a realistic reaction if this were real life, but in a game, I'd think you'd want to utilize all your worlds for as much game play as possible AND have your Players enjoy it.) Hoth used to be very pretty in an alien sort of way.

Hopefully there is a way to planet-by-planet _easily_ select whether one wants this new "feature" used. I do recommend adding some such button under preferences.

Desri
08.12.2013 , 05:36 PM | #63
I was able to use shadows on Mac Bootcamp where I play the game for the first time : ) Things are really improving. I love the colors it has a comic book feel that's a lot of fun. Thanks for the hard work!

Morthaur
08.12.2013 , 07:49 PM | #64
While generally I like then new colours, I wouldnt have chosen the skin tones on my chiss that they now have.

xeraphyne
08.13.2013 , 09:14 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Haderach View Post
I love the effect this change had on the environments, they definitely look more lively. I find the effect on characters to be negative in most cases, however. For example in the character selection screen (especially the Sith ship) and various conversations the skin colour has turned into glowing orange and is generally oversaturated. The character models in SWTOR are rather good, so we don't need their faces to "glow" in order to hide poor graphics like in other games.
THIS!!!! ^^^^ My toons are supposed to be a nice tan brown.. they now look like they've been hitting the tanning bed or bottle of self tan too much and their skin colors are no longer a toasty brown but an ugly ORANGE. Not even a subtle orange, but a horrible orange. This isn't just on the loading screen, this happens in all cut scenes as well. it's really noticeable and I despise it, I've even tried to readjust the skin tone of my character hoping if I made her less tan it would fix the probably but it didn't.

xAZUREx
08.13.2013 , 10:21 AM | #66
The only time the colours look different to me is on the character selection screen but they don't look right
Tomb of Freedon Nadd: (Kazama Legacy)
<A New Hope> <Sith Crusaders>
There is no force, there is only FUS RO DAH

Drebs
08.13.2013 , 11:11 AM | #67
I'm leveling an alt and I must say I'm really impressed with how much the new color treatment adds to the mood of the game.

Sure, there are situations where colored lighting will give skintones an 'unnatural' cast, but this happens in real life as well--your brain just adjusts for it. Fluorescent lighting is usually green, daylight is blue, incandescent is orange--your brain just normalizes it all. If you're having trouble getting used to the new palette, I suggest you give it a month, run a few flashpoints, visit some different planets. It really does add something to the game.

Duvack
08.13.2013 , 12:44 PM | #68
Noticed the changes right away. Things look great! Not having any issues with the looks running on high. Great job and Kudos to your team!
The Shadowlands: The Faradhi Legacy
Vashanna - Level 65 Guardian / Colete - Level 65 Sorcerer / Merane - level 60 Vanguard / Alyssandria - Level 60 Operative / Saschenka - level 60 Gunslinger / Anjolle - level 60 Sentinel / K'Voral - level 65 Power Tech / Frederique - Level 60 Combat Medic

xeraphyne
08.13.2013 , 01:29 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Drebs View Post
I'm leveling an alt and I must say I'm really impressed with how much the new color treatment adds to the mood of the game.

Sure, there are situations where colored lighting will give skintones an 'unnatural' cast, but this happens in real life as well--your brain just adjusts for it. Fluorescent lighting is usually green, daylight is blue, incandescent is orange--your brain just normalizes it all. If you're having trouble getting used to the new palette, I suggest you give it a month, run a few flashpoints, visit some different planets. It really does add something to the game.
This isn't something I'll get used to, considering I play flashpoints and ops every day on multiple toons and since I am going to school for vis comm - graphic design the color difference really bothers me in the skin tones. It's too the point if it's not changed for the skin tones I'll just disable it totally.

idnewton
08.13.2013 , 03:17 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by xeraphyne View Post
This isn't something I'll get used to, considering I play flashpoints and ops every day on multiple toons and since I am going to school for vis comm - graphic design the color difference really bothers me in the skin tones. It's too the point if it's not changed for the skin tones I'll just disable it totally.
I played the game for about a year with incredibly buggy grass. It would literally take the first pixel of grass and stretch it diagonally upward for the height of the grass. Additionally, it would always have a no-grass sort of 'trail' in whatever direction I was facing. --> Example <-- When I upgraded my graphics card, it went away completely. My guess is that it had always worked for the current graphics card, but one which was a few years old had those issues. My point is that not everyone is having this issue you speak of. Considering it is a purely graphics-oriented issue, my assumption is that it is your graphics card.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL +55s: 24
ETERNAL WARRIOR CHEEVO POINTS: +31,000
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
Negative language gets you disqualified? Oh I'm sorry, please wait while I contact your local 'safe space'