Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Cody-licious
08.09.2013 , 09:27 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Ilith View Post
I like how the changes brighten up and accentuate detail in environments. However, I dislike how oversaturated character skintones now look on the character selection screen.

This could be partly due to the fact I am accustomed to how my characters have looked for the 1.5 years I've been playing them. Any change will look weird. But it also looks cartoony and not how I originally designed my characters. The news article states Republic areas have been made to look "warmer" and vice versa for Imperial ones. Yet I find my Imperial characters look extremely ruddy, particularly the ones on the Sith ship.

I would like it if this feature could be made more subtle on the character selection page.
Yes, I first noticed this on the character select screen, and wondered if something was wrong with my Dell monitor. I'll need to have a play around to see if I can adapt the monitor settings to take proper advantage of your hard work.
55 Mercenary Bodyguard 53 Powertech Pyro
55 Sniper Marksman 55 Operative Concealment 55 Scoundrel Sawbones
55 Sage Seer 51 Shadow Kinetic 55 Assassin Darkness
55 Guardian Vigilance 53 Marauder Carnage

KyaniteD
08.09.2013 , 10:41 AM | #42
I think I understand now what it's about, so thanks for the heads up. However, looking at my own experience and that of many others, it seems like it still needs some tweaking since the results are not the same for everyone, resp. produce an experience different from what was intended. Turning off the remapping will apparently result in loss of ambient coloring, but getting eyestrain or a headache from too stark contrast and oversaturated colors doesn't exactly improve immersion, either.

I hope work on it will continue and maybe some tweaking will be done, as I like the idea in general. An in-game switch to turn it on or off for certain areas with extreme lighting like Hoth, Ilum, Empire Taris etc. would be nice as well.
Darkvs.Light:
Shepard Effect ᶩ彡
______Crafting_____ ______Trading___ ___
All original level 1-50 custom sets & full cartel sets. (JC only.)

Tremed
08.09.2013 , 11:52 AM | #43
Better question is, when will the developers agree to create more/better content?

Elrood
08.09.2013 , 12:50 PM | #44
No, that's not a better question in a thread intended to discuss the graphical changes.

fvandreev
08.09.2013 , 01:10 PM | #45
Awesome color vibrancy update. I love it: 10/10. But. It underscores the complete ugliness of overall approach to planets. That part in the blog where you talk about different areas of Coruscant having different color hues... The whole Coruscant looks like one ugly gray hallway! I prefer, by a lot, NOT to have Coruscant in the game than have THIS Coruscant.
Halve number of planets but make them decent: Pandaria-type where you can fly and explore and interact and not just run from ugly corridor to the next. Fewer worlds, but better worlds please.

Pilgrim_Grey
08.09.2013 , 03:34 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Malice View Post
Seems like a waste of resources. You could have actually put real content into the game in the hours that were wasted on this. You already received plenty of rewards for the game already looking good so it was really unnecessary.
I see this being said more than once in this thread. On the offchance any of you come back and look, try to keep in mind how a development team is split up... graphics people aren't going to be writing new storylines or working on powers balance, etc., which is what I assume is what people mean by "you could have been working on real content."

I saw some similar comments on some other graphical improvement made about a year ago, and it's just silly. Let the graphics people keep improving things and not expect them to suddenly be coders or powers balancers.

idnewton
08.09.2013 , 05:09 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Pilgrim_Grey View Post
I see this being said more than once in this thread. On the offchance any of you come back and look, try to keep in mind how a development team is split up... graphics people aren't going to be writing new storylines or working on powers balance, etc., which is what I assume is what people mean by "you could have been working on real content."

I saw some similar comments on some other graphical improvement made about a year ago, and it's just silly. Let the graphics people keep improving things and not expect them to suddenly be coders or powers balancers.
^ This ^
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL +55s: 24
ETERNAL WARRIOR CHEEVO POINTS: +31,000
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
Negative language gets you disqualified? Oh I'm sorry, please wait while I contact your local 'safe space'

TUXs
08.09.2013 , 11:28 PM | #48
Thanks for the explanation Ben - I appreciate the "behind the scenes" post.

Generally, I loved the color change, but the 2nd day of the update I did the Tauntaun quest on Hoth and nearly blinded myself. My biggest issue was not being able to see my targets or ground effects. Because of this, I had to revert to the pre-2.3 colors...which I HATE doing because what you guys did, looks great everywhere else I saw it.

Have you given any consideration to adjusting player effects (target marker and ground effects in particular)? I'd love to change back, but it's just too hard to see some of the things I feel are necessary.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Thylbanus
08.10.2013 , 12:10 PM | #49
As noted, some people didn't even notice, but I did and I have to say,

GREAT JOB!

It's been a long trek for me. I've seen the looks from April of 2011 to now and all I can honestly say that I have been impressed, which is no mean feat. At one time I wanted to be in visual arts and I still have an eye for such things. To be honest, I've had times that the colors are so sharp, bright, and/or intense, my eyes hurt.

EDIT:
Really guys? You want to rant about content? Some suggestions:
1. Stay on target... er topic.
2. Understand that this is what these people do, they are not going to idle a workgroup.
3. If you want content, go buy something off the Cartel Market
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Omnitheo
08.10.2013 , 01:45 PM | #50
I love the new changes. I like my video games to have lots of colour, and just the added vibrancy of my character's blue armor was enough to win me over