Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Darth-Malice
08.09.2013 , 03:19 AM | #31
Seems like a waste of resources. You could have actually put real content into the game in the hours that were wasted on this. You already received plenty of rewards for the game already looking good so it was really unnecessary.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

maxjam
08.09.2013 , 03:26 AM | #32
Personally I think the changes are great, I noticed straight away as I started doing my dailies on Makeb - the world looks much more vibrant now.

Anyone that really dislikes it can always switch it off so imo its win-win
Kalistra, Mercenary: Deathmark in Seven Systems
Mandalorian Forge
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
YouTube | Recruitment Thread

demotivator
08.09.2013 , 03:50 AM | #33
Nice work.

The pictures of the Jedi Temple and Balmorra are quite stunning, the upgrade adds depth to the objects like these colums for the Temple and the flag on Balmorra.
Randomizing your forums.

Darth_Haderach
08.09.2013 , 04:27 AM | #34
I love the effect this change had on the environments, they definitely look more lively. I find the effect on characters to be negative in most cases, however. For example in the character selection screen (especially the Sith ship) and various conversations the skin colour has turned into glowing orange and is generally oversaturated. The character models in SWTOR are rather good, so we don't need their faces to "glow" in order to hide poor graphics like in other games.
ALSO, WHERE IS THERON?

XxHazenxX
08.09.2013 , 04:58 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Basreia View Post
You are here why? If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all Don't play the game if you are this bitter in your posts.
He's here to voice his distaste for a new feature that he doesn't like, and he has the right to do so just as you have the right to voice your love for said feature... It's a forum, which = a place for all opinions.

On topic, not a bad extra feature for those that want it (I'll probably be using it), but I don't see how it's deserving of a "Developer Update" announcement. It's literally just tweaking the contrast and saturation... Nothing new to anyone.
SWG-Flurry
<DFR> Big-N-Buff | Burn'ing Chaos | Big-N-Tough <DFR>
July 10, 2004 - July 10, 2010

Gundhigh
08.09.2013 , 05:59 AM | #36
So, do we get a nightime effect now?

I remember reading it was difficult to implement because all the planets were coloured a particular way to add 'atmosphere' and would be tough to recolour, seems this magic brush solves that.

Eraan
08.09.2013 , 05:59 AM | #37
"New tech"

Honestly, in all those example the new version looks just way worse. Boosted contrast and over saturated colours, no thanks. Looks horrid at least on my screen. How about slider option to adjust the intensity of this rather simple post process filter?

Elminster_cs
08.09.2013 , 06:56 AM | #38
Have you take a look at the entrance in korriban, at the sith hall?

IT IS AMAZING! You have done a great job.
I have to say that this new technique give his bests with lots of color and light.

Can i ask a question?
I really like graphics and i have study some techniques, i also work with graphic engine and modelling tool. I have never heard about this workflow and i think is really nice and you can do very well. Have this workflow a name? Did you invented this? Did you get inspired by what?

I will really appreciate a answer, i really love this things! My university teacher will also be happy
Member of Dread Master. The Red Eclipse Italian Guild.

deathomight
08.09.2013 , 09:05 AM | #39
Thanks looks great on my system!

Vhaegrant
08.09.2013 , 09:13 AM | #40
Did not like the change when I first logged on Tuesday and used the edit on the client settings file to remove it. Then thought I'd be a little more receptive to change and tried a few settings to see if I could get to grips with it.
Fullscreen mode seems to only work with gamma up at 100, fullscreen [windowed] mode seems to use a default gamma that isn't affected by ingame setting.
The biggest change was when I took the time to recalibrate my monitor (Iilyama Prolite E2473HDS) and remove it's colour adjust style. Was previously set to 'game', I tried it for a while set to 'Text' but in the end went to default.
Now after four days worth of fiddling and playing with the new vibrant colours my brain has shrugged off any attachment to the previous 18 months or so of imagery and I'm loving the much richer environments, even the armours I'm wearing seem to have been upgraded appearing more graded and realistic.

Really glad I made the effort to stick with this change and also glad there is still an option to disable it for those that don't like.