Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Color Palette Upgrade in Game Update 2.3
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
08.08.2013 , 12:49 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Several months ago, our engineers added a new feature to our game engine that gives the artists complete control over the final color output of our renderer. The technology is very similar to digital color grading – which is a technique that directors in the motion picture industry use to add style and emotional impact to each shot in their films. You’ve all seen this effect in action in all of the most recent summer block-buster films. In our game, this new feature allows us to apply unique color effects to each area for each Planet, Flashpoint, Warzone, Operation, etc.

Read More
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

LetoAtreidesII
08.08.2013 , 01:15 PM | #2
This change has appealed to many, but many don't even notice a change and many more still absolutely hate it. The change also looks very different under different systems and setups. On my system, the feature doesn't look like the official screenshots but looks oversaturated with painfully high contrast.

Fortunately, you guys had the wisdom to put an option in to enable/disable this feature at will, but it is not well advertised. Simply edit your client_settings file (go to your SWTOR settings folder by pressing the Windows Key and clicking run, and entering: %localappdata%/swtor/swtor/settings ). Add the following line under [Renderer] if it doesn't already exist:

AllowColorRemapping = false

If it's there already, simply edit the existing line.

Screamenko
08.08.2013 , 01:26 PM | #3
I like the changes.

Is it possible to apply the filters or effects that you showed us in the article (black/white, sepia etc.) in the game?

hitmanixi
08.08.2013 , 01:34 PM | #4
Changes look great to me. I noticed the changes right away and love the bright colors. Keep up the good work.

Basreia
08.08.2013 , 01:38 PM | #5
Looks A LOT better and makes the game really pop more. Everything seems more detailed and it's the way it should be without the nasty gray "fog" look and the old drab colors.

I love it! Keep up the little changes like this. Every person I have talked to in game absolutely loves it. So just a minority it seems on the forums don't like it. If you don't like it, don't complain to have the new shiny change reverted, simply just revert it yourself.

Be aware though, your game won't look all spic and span. I'm sure you are just used to the old way and got used to that. Anyway, looks a TON BETTER!
Use the force

Arlon_Nabarlly
08.08.2013 , 01:42 PM | #6
http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/f...variations.jpg

So basically this is just Instagram for SWTOR.
I'd tell you the technology we used for colors in 2.3, but you've probably never heard of it.

RedRangerABC
08.08.2013 , 01:44 PM | #7
Well actually I prefer the original. Looks like you just cranked up saturation. When I look out of my window I don't see blinding primary colors everywhere.
FUS RO DAH!

kezzin
08.08.2013 , 01:45 PM | #8
I think it looks spiffy. Great work.

sandisrd
08.08.2013 , 01:45 PM | #9
Greetings,

Changes are incredible it looks really stunning and it is a great addition to already great game!...

Best regards!.
Collector's edition owner
''Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The force shall free me''...

BernRod
08.08.2013 , 02:00 PM | #10
I notice the color change too. Looks nicer, thx. Reading this article makes me feel Bioware is also struggling with Gamma color space as many other film studios do.
"Yo ho ho Joe"