Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Let us make the forums more positive

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Let us make the forums more positive
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TUXs
08.05.2013 , 01:07 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
Less vitriol on both sides would do this forum a world of good.
Sure...that would be great. However, I have a theory about most posts like that...I think most players avoid posting on these forums for numerous reasons. When a player encounters a repeating issue or bug that prevents them from doing something they're trying to do, that's when I think we see the spirited and slightly rambling "rant" posts...they aren't nearly as coordinated as some people make them seem, nor are they as organized and fact filled as they could be...people post with emotion, it's natural.

Where our divide seems to come in most of the time is when people side with the Devs or the players (us vs them mentality). I tend to always side with a player, trying to understand and acknowledge that their issue is real and provide empathy with their situation. Some folks decide that it's more appropriate to mock or ridicule the post or the tone of the post than it is to understand the post, with comments like "why do you even play then?" or "we'd be better off without you"...those type of comments are DETRIMENTAL and drive me nuts.

I firmly believe that every person posting has some reason they'd like to keep playing, which means they'll keep paying (good for the game)...since I like this game, like the people I encounter mostly, and continue to enjoy my time spent playing it, I try to avoid critiquing the way someone posts and instead focus on the issue the player has. This game has problems...to deny them is foolish. Acknowledging the problem and supporting that an issue gets fixed is good for the game imo.

My point is...not every ranting post is made out of hatred of the game....they mostly come from frustrations that have built up over time. Don't be so quick to judge people by the way (tone) with which they post.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

TUXs
08.05.2013 , 01:09 PM | #82
Are there no whining children then? I guess this child isn't whiny either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izTIqUSDcR8
That child is only doing what he knows - he's undisciplined, not "whiny".
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

branmakmuffin
08.05.2013 , 01:09 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by MrJurgens View Post
Neither is calling out someone for "trolling", as you always accuse someone of doing when they don't say anything positive about this game.
I hate it when everyone always over-generalizes all the time.

LordArtemis
08.05.2013 , 01:14 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlon_Nabarlly View Post
Then you don' t understand what whining is.
Luckily for me you do not define what I do and do not understand. Nor can you change what someone intends when they label a post as a "whine"...it is most definitely intended as an insult and a judgement, not an observation IMO.

Are there no whining children then? I guess this child isn't whiny either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izTIqUSDcR8
I don't think you made the point you believe you made.

Quote:
Seems observable to me.
...and that is your right. You have the right to see things any way you like.

I tend to choose to subscribe to reality and common sense instead of supposition and perversion of truth to serve my point.

Darka
08.05.2013 , 01:14 PM | #85
After the Great Fanboi V Hater Drone Wars of 2012, anything after that looks clam and rational
The Forums are not too bad, but no where near what they were pre launch.
THE DEFENDER PROGRAM - Gaming Community Est 2006
Information
Owner of the Hat'o'Awesome

sandisrd
08.05.2013 , 01:16 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Basreia View Post
Hello everyone. I hope you all are well. Star Wars: The Old Republic is a fun, well balanced, great mmorpg with great stories, lovely cutscenes, great companions and overall a fun and enjoyable atmosphere created a lot by the players in game

However, as you cross over to the forums, you will see there are many dismal, degrading, whining, bickering posts that do nothing sometimes but cause chaos, destruction, hate, anger, rage, trolls, drama where there is none. Constructive criticism has all but vanished here. We need to pay more attention to making ourselves better on the forums while we give feedback, suggestions or just plain discuss whether we agree or disagree with something

I know many do not agree with each other at times and sometimes it becomes an off topic bickering fest of ultimate destruction. Many viewpoints are brought up within the post. Let's remember to stay on topic of the post and agree/disagree in a more civilized, decent, respectable manner for everyone's sake

Recently though, I have seen a change for the better. It is MUCH better than this time last year or any other, but it's mostly still dismal and negative. Let's change that so we make this a better place Let's make Star Wars: The Old Republic's game forums the best game forum there ever was. Let's give great feedback with positive views and see things more optimist for both ourselves and others, for an overall general well being on here. The main goal is to have discussions. Not pointless argue matches.

Now! Let's start making the forums a better place. Bye everyone and I hope you take this seriously.

Edit: I have changed the title to be a more understanding and non petition since that is against the forum rules and frowned upon. I was just poking fun with my recent one That's all
Greetings,

I've totally agree with you, TOR is a quality MMOrpg, whit lots of great futures...

Just to note: don't listen in these idiots, they don't understand a thing and just keep complaining about everything, there are decent people in TOR community as well so don't worry!...

May the force be with you...
Collector's edition owner
''Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The force shall free me''...

MillionsKNives
08.05.2013 , 01:17 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
That child is only doing what he knows - he's undisciplined, not "whiny".
He's not complaining or protesting in a childish manner? I see him complaining, I see him protesting, and I see him doing it in a manner that is commonly displayed by children.

MillionsKNives
08.05.2013 , 01:20 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I don't think you made the point you believe you made.
What point would that be then?

Quote:
I tend to choose to subscribe to reality and common sense instead of supposition and perversion of truth to serve my point.
I thought you were arguing against insults.

TridusSWTOR
08.05.2013 , 01:21 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Taorus View Post
The game cannot really move forward until we have an honest discussion about the major problems. But we continue to get propaganda threads like this, which are not gonna help...in the slightest.

"Hey. everything is rainbows and sunshine...Yay!" NOT!!!
This is the only positive post I seen in the 5 months I been reading the forums.

Please provide 10 sources of propaganda threads which promote positive discussion like this one, and it has be within 3 months.

Chances are, you can't provide it.

TridusSWTOR
08.05.2013 , 01:22 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
I think this is what she is speaking of- hyperbole, conjecture, accusation rather then input and information.

Wow has lost over 4 million subs and it is a pretty great game. F2P is not a sign of defeat but a paradigm shift within the MMO genre.

If we can shy away from this type of vitriol, and move toward more rationally thought out, intellectually sound, well researched contentions it truly would be a better place to visit.
Bingo, at least someone understands what the OP was trying to get at.

Oh wow, you can talk about the problems of a game without being a rude troll? <mind blown>

Sad that it takes so long for people to wrap that around their head.