Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Was there supposed to be a second 'subscriber appreciation' at the end of July?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Was there supposed to be a second 'subscriber appreciation' at the end of July?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stockmks
07.30.2013 , 10:04 AM | #21
While I don't have a problem with gifts of any kind, I must say that there can be a strong difference in receiving a gift, and feeling appreciated..

There's some further meaning implied in appreciation..

Eillack
07.30.2013 , 10:19 AM | #22
Would have been nice if a vet system was in TOR...but then that would mean EAware expects people to stay for more than a month at a time..
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

shonenjumpstyle
07.30.2013 , 10:32 AM | #23
Well guess what guys? Tomorrow is update day! Possibly if there is one this week. But anyways they could be adding some new sub-only content or something. But I hope it's more free cartel coins because I'm saving up for something big and I don't want to spend extra money on cosmetic items.

Eillack
07.30.2013 , 10:35 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by shonenjumpstyle View Post
Well guess what guys? Tomorrow is update day! Possibly if there is one this week. But anyways they could be adding some new sub-only content or something. But I hope it's more free cartel coins because I'm saving up for something big and I don't want to spend extra money on cosmetic items.
"Introducing the [Insert Cartel Pack Name] !"
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

OldRepJedi
07.30.2013 , 10:37 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
I don't think the Revan's Heir title was the end of July subscriber appreciation. You didn't need to be a subscriber to get it. It was made to celebrate the 10th anniversary of KOTOR.

At the same time, I am intrigued that they've all but stopped talking about the end of July subscriber appreciation. It is as if they learned a lesson that, while 500 extra CC's is nice, it's not hype-worthy and they've as a result stopped hyping.
I agree. They have a bad history of overhyping. I liked the past gifts they have given out...the taun-taun and the other pet that they gave out. People are squawking because they want like full sets of armor, or purple mounts. Me, I'd be happy with a unique class weapon that is only available to subs. Empty of mods of course, but that would be fine by me. Create a vendor, send out an email, BOP, and exchange for a unique class weapon. Simple really. Well, maybe not the coding.
Dendarii Mercenary Fleet
Seronia-Level 55 Juggernaut Xanshilia-Level 55 Bounty Hunter
Nyrise-Level 55 Sniper Reviasi-Level 55 Assassin
Come to the Dark Side, We have cookies

TheBBP
07.30.2013 , 10:40 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Sammennn View Post
July is over at 1st of August. Don't know how you americans count the monthly system but here in Europe we consider 1st of August; beginning of August, not the end of July.
If you want to get technical (which many things around here are) the beginning of August is still NEAR the end of July.

TheBBP
07.30.2013 , 10:42 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by OldRepJedi View Post
I agree. They have a bad history of overhyping.
The players do all of the hyping. All BioWare did was say that they were going to give us something in appreciation. The players and members of this forum then on their own defined what would be acceptable. When BioWare fell short of what the players deemed was an acceptable gift, that was when the rage happened.

It is like if your parents told you that they got you something nice for Christmas and in your head you built it up to what you wanted it to be. Then, when they gave it to you it was not to the level of "nice" that you expected and in-turn you go and scream at them for it.

It is a spoiled and entitled mentality.

DarthTHC
07.30.2013 , 11:05 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
The players do all of the hyping. All BioWare did was say that they were going to give us something in appreciation. The players and members of this forum then on their own defined what would be acceptable. When BioWare fell short of what the players deemed was an acceptable gift, that was when the rage happened.

It is like if your parents told you that they got you something nice for Christmas and in your head you built it up to what you wanted it to be. Then, when they gave it to you it was not to the level of "nice" that you expected and in-turn you go and scream at them for it.

It is a spoiled and entitled mentality.
Entitlement is a fun word. You're misusing it. Entitlement is a good thing. By way of example, it is the term IBM uses to indicate that an IBM customer has rights to install a particular IBM software product. Why are they entitled to do that? Because they purchased the licenses.

Subscribers to this game are entitled to certain things simply because they pay the subscription. Those things are described in the TOS. And feeling entitled to those things is a good thing, not a bad thing.

One could make a solid argument that subscribers should also feel entitled to deliver feedback to BWEA via these forums, for that is exactly the reason they stated for creating them, and only subscribers can post to them.

Onward to your players creating their own hype comment, BWEA said this:

Quote: Originally Posted by BWEA Cantina Event
“…that it’s super important” to BioWare that their Subscribers as well as their Free-to-play players feel valued. So, in July, there will be a Subscriber only benefit near the beginning and near the end of the month in order to make Subs feel valued.”
You might notice the part I emphasized.

There is a difference between just a gift and a gift that makes one feel valued.

My dog leaves gifts for me all the time. Out in the yard. Big brown piles of gifts. Lot of 'em. As you might imagine, those gifts don't make me feel particularly valued.

My dog makes me feel valued by meeting me at the door when I come home, clearly happy to see me, wanting to play and be petted, and wagging its tail vigorously the whole time.

Some subscribers may actually feel valued by being handed additional piles of brown stuff, in this case, Cartel Coins. And bully for them, I guess.

However, judging by the reaction to the early July gift, many did not feel particularly valued upon receiving it. To feel valued, they might want something that takes more than a modicum of effort and even less thought.

Ogrejr
07.30.2013 , 11:38 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Sammennn View Post
July is over at 1st of August. Don't know how you americans count the monthly system but here in Europe we consider 1st of August; beginning of August, not the end of July.
Yes, August 1st is the beginning of August. It is also near the end of July.

DarthTHC
07.30.2013 , 11:46 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Ogrejr View Post
Yes, August 1st is the beginning of August. It is also near the end of July.
Near is such a fun term, and it's relative. December 2013 AD is near the end of July 2013 AD if one considers that T. Rex last roamed this planet sometime near the end of July 65,000,000 BC.