Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

My heat is really beginning to get hot..

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Bounty Hunter > Mercenary
My heat is really beginning to get hot..

Carbiine's Avatar


Carbiine
12.21.2011 , 12:43 PM | #1
Anyone truly having problems with maintaining their heat? I tend to overheat a lot and cant seem to figure out how to make a correct rotation in order to combat the overheat.

Your opinions and ideas are welcomed with open arms, haha.

Help me out

Thanks!
Dun'dle - Powertech
Zinck - Gunslinger
Prophecy of the Five

TempestasSilva's Avatar


TempestasSilva
12.21.2011 , 12:44 PM | #2
If you bar goes over 1/2 use rapid shots until its at 1/4.

Mblythe's Avatar


Mblythe
12.21.2011 , 12:48 PM | #3
DPS or healing?
Tred - GM of Eminence on the Lord Praven server.
BH Combat Medic
CE VIP

ZaOniTenshu's Avatar


ZaOniTenshu
12.21.2011 , 12:49 PM | #4
tmx5 (or till 5 debuff)
rail unload
vent (only on first go around bc of 5 tm's)
tmx3
rail
unload
tmx3
rail
unload
etc.

Once you get that down you will see where you can fit in other skills like interrupts and shiz :P
Cableguy: Merc. Bounty Hunter[Mind Trick Server]

ZioGio's Avatar


ZioGio
12.21.2011 , 01:22 PM | #5
Not sure what build the OP is using, but I became really frustrated with overheating while healing Athiss (albeit I was 19 and so were the others so it was not an optimal group).

I played a healer-spec Commando and Jedi Sage in beta and I have years of experience healing in many other MMOs, but I'm having a difficult time adjusting to the "reversiveness" of the heat progress bar (i.e. gauging its growth instead of shrinkage) and the slow heat dissipation.

I spam Rapid Shots to build up combat support points to discharge Supercharged Gas and I use Vent Heat when it's off CD, but I'm still overheating.

Here's my current skill set (level 20): http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300MfR0o.1

Hired Muscle 3/3
Improved Vents 2/2
Supercharged Gas 1/1
Surgical Precision System 2/2
Empowered Scans 2/2
Kolto Missile 1/1

Any advice on rotation or timing to counter overheating is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Carbiine's Avatar


Carbiine
12.21.2011 , 01:30 PM | #6
I am a hybrid, being I only have points in arsenal right now. I plan to put points into arsenal until around 27, then I begin building my bodyguard tree.

Right now, just trying to get through my quests without overheating is becoming an issue. I'm having a hard time maintaining my heat and it's frustrating because I love my BH but I can't seem to get it down pat.
Dun'dle - Powertech
Zinck - Gunslinger
Prophecy of the Five

bobafetea's Avatar


bobafetea
12.21.2011 , 02:26 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ZaOniTenshu View Post
tmx5 (or till 5 debuff)
rail unload
vent (only on first go around bc of 5 tm's)
tmx3
rail
unload
tmx3
rail
unload
etc.

Once you get that down you will see where you can fit in other skills like interrupts and shiz :P
With muzzle fluting, you won't even need to use vent since tracer has an 1.5s activation and is almost free because of it.
"I see why they call you the best bounty hunter in the galaxy." ― Darth Vader
"Curse Fett! He thinks he's real smart." "He is smart, Bossk. That's why he's the best."

Syrch's Avatar


Syrch
12.21.2011 , 04:46 PM | #8
If going arsenal, why even vent? Just use tracer repeatedly with some unloads? I mean, tracer does a lot of damage, low heat with fluted barrel, and builds up heat signatures for later on when you get heat seeking missile.


As for healing, this is what I do and I rarely ever have a problem healing:

rapid shots repeatedly, even if they're taking very little damage. It should be the gap filler.

If they start taking some damage, then rapid scan.

Then more rapid shots.

A kolto missile if more people are taking damage.

another rapid scan

too much damage?

healing scan + supercharged gas + kolto missile + healing scan + healing scan +healing scan..you should still be low on heat, now continue using rapid scan.

Kolto missile with supercharged gas and residue talens give 5% bonus to healing, a 10% shield, plus 3 quick healing scans.

Usually that's enough to cover things, if not then you can rapid scan and then vent heat, rinse and repeat.

ZioGio's Avatar


ZioGio
12.21.2011 , 04:53 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Syrch View Post
As for healing, this is what I do and I rarely ever have a problem healing:

rapid shots repeatedly, even if they're taking very little damage. It should be the gap filler.

If they start taking some damage, then rapid scan.

Then more rapid shots.

A kolto missile if more people are taking damage.

another rapid scan

too much damage?

healing scan + supercharged gas + kolto missile + healing scan + healing scan +healing scan..you should still be low on heat, now continue using rapid scan.

Kolto missile with supercharged gas and residue talens give 5% bonus to healing, a 10% shield, plus 3 quick healing scans.

Usually that's enough to cover things, if not then you can rapid scan and then vent heat, rinse and repeat.
Thanks. Here's where my noobishness rears its ugly head. I missed in the skill description that Supercharged Gas reduced the cooldown on Healing Scan (normally a 12 second cooldown) for 10 seconds so I wasn't taking full advantage of that, which meant I was building up heat twice as fast by using Rapid Scan (thinking that Healing Scan was on cooldown).

With this little bit of knowledge, I think I can be a much more effective healer.

Kaissanova's Avatar


Kaissanova
12.22.2011 , 03:49 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Carbiine View Post
Anyone truly having problems with maintaining their heat? I tend to overheat a lot and cant seem to figure out how to make a correct rotation in order to combat the overheat.

Your opinions and ideas are welcomed with open arms, haha.

Help me out

Thanks!
I think your problem is you keep spamming abilities. Part of playing BH is to constantly keep an eye on your heat. if it gets over 40, start using rapid fire. By the time it gets to 60, it's too late. so my advice would be to take your eyes off your character once n a while and look down at your heat.