Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

8/2 Sentinel/Marauder Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
8/2 Sentinel/Marauder Questions

KeyboardNinja
07.29.2013 , 03:20 PM | #1
Main post on the Sentinel sub-forum (including draft questions!): http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...89#post6604989

We have three questions to fill. One of those needs to be about PvP. As a general structure, I see the following immediate points:
  • Watchman/Annihilation viability in PvP due to ramp up time and low burst
  • Focus/Rage viability in single-target PvE fights due to low sustained DPS (~9% behind on dummy parses)
  • RNG issues in Combat/Carnage

Other wildcard issues that I have on-hand:
  • Guarded by the Force/Undying Rage don't appear to work at all on Lightning Field
  • Centering/Fury do not build during Transcendence/Predation or Inspiration/Bloodthirst (*major* issue for Focus/Rage)

I'm not sure there are any really huge outstanding issues besides the ones I've listed, but this is all about what the community feels are the most significant issues. Weigh in and make your voice heard!

Note: I really would like this to be about both Sentinels and Marauders. We're the same class anyway. I'll be cross-posting this to the Marauder sub-forum to ensure everyone gets to see it, and will be PMing Gudarzz (Marauder rep) and Oofalong (awesome sauce) for further thoughts.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

Okamakiri
07.29.2013 , 03:36 PM | #2
I agree with your points, but I would also add that Carnage/Combat still has rage/focus issues. Ever since they removed the range/focus discount on Berserk/Zen, Carnage/Combat rotation has changed into a sine curve on the DPS meter. Massive spike, followed by a massive dip due to excessive Assault/Strike usage.
Blackburn - Assassin, Dovahkėėn - Marauder, Zarakė - Jugernaut, Hamza - Mercenary, Smith - Sniper

KeyboardNinja
07.29.2013 , 03:40 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Okamakiri View Post
I agree with your points, but I would also add that Carnage/Combat still has rage/focus issues. Ever since they removed the range/focus discount on Berserk/Zen, Carnage/Combat rotation has changed into a sine curve on the DPS meter. Massive spike, followed by a massive dip due to excessive Assault/Strike usage.
I'm not sure I would agree with that, actually. So long as you're managing your Blade Storm/Force Scream procs effectively, using Twin Saber Throw/Dual Saber Throw as filler and not delaying Master Strike/Ravage by more than a few seconds, there aren't really any serious Focus/Rage issues. Combat/Carnage most certainly does use Strike/Assault a whole heck of a lot more than either of the other two specs, which is perhaps a bit annoying. Given how high the spec parses though, I'm not sure how this could be helped without uber-buffing things.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

Okamakiri
07.29.2013 , 04:12 PM | #4
Well that's what I mean by issue. There is no issue in terms of DPS and it is possible to maintain sufficient resource level for fluid rotation all the time. However, to maintain that level, the amount of Assault/Strike required seems excessive. In PVE it's manageable as you can maintain a high DPS uptime on target and don't have to spend rage/focus on any abilities outside of your rotation. In PVP though things are a lot messier and can result in a very inconsistent DPS output.

I do agree that it seems to be more a quality of life issue and fixing it would ultimately result in a buff to our DPS, which we don't really need. Then again, there are still other classes that beat us on some fights consistently, so maybe returning the rage/focus discount on Berserk/Zen wouldn't be so bad.
Blackburn - Assassin, Dovahkėėn - Marauder, Zarakė - Jugernaut, Hamza - Mercenary, Smith - Sniper

Okamakiri
07.29.2013 , 04:32 PM | #5
Maybe a talent deep in Carnage/Combat tree that makes snare/healing debuff free would be a good start at least for the PVP side of things?

Ceile
07.29.2013 , 07:33 PM | #6
As a Carnage/Combat Marauder/Sentinel, the only things I can think to change is extending the CD of Slaughter to 21s and increasing the proc % of slaughter. Or making it so that Slaughter cannot proc when Gore is on CD, and maybe while the Gore buff is active, but this might be counter-productive.

NogueiraA
07.29.2013 , 09:40 PM | #7
We need a rework on Rage/Focus first talents.
The talent +7.5% crit chance on Dispatch/VT should be in the first line. We need to spend points in useless talents to get this one.

MarkXXIV
07.29.2013 , 10:08 PM | #8
I thought carnage and annihilation were both terrible in pvp. I guess I am doing it wrong. LF changes that will make carnage/annihilation wanted in ranked warzone.
Mains: Hesrafow(smash): 55 Se'ziru: 55(mm/lethal)
^Only Dps worth playing,WTB Op Medic The Bastion
Zrarron 54 Sorcerer(scheduled for deletion)
Yudoda 54 Mercenary(perma shelfed) unsubbed/quitted until a fix

KeyboardNinja
07.30.2013 , 09:55 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by NogueiraA View Post
We need a rework on Rage/Focus first talents.
The talent +7.5% crit chance on Dispatch/VT should be in the first line. We need to spend points in useless talents to get this one.
Having this instead of the force crit chance would be super-nice for Combat/Carnage, but it would also move the force crit chance well out of reach of Watchman/Annihilation, which is the spec where it does the most good. Alternatively, the AoE buff could be moved up, but then it moves out of reach of Combat/Carnage, which doesn't *need* it, but benefits significantly.

CellPerfect
07.30.2013 , 12:11 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Having this instead of the force crit chance would be super-nice for Combat/Carnage, but it would also move the force crit chance well out of reach of Watchman/Annihilation, which is the spec where it does the most good. Alternatively, the AoE buff could be moved up, but then it moves out of reach of Combat/Carnage, which doesn't *need* it, but benefits significantly.
How does force crit chance help watchman / annihilation? As far as I'm aware the dots are NOT force damage and do not benefit from the 6% crit chance increase so is there something else I'm forgetting?
Taelord
Sith Marauder
<Vicious>