Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

8/2 Sentinel/Marauder Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
8/2 Sentinel/Marauder Questions
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

orangenkaiser
07.29.2013 , 04:47 PM | #11
First off, congrats on the nomination. I've read some of your posts and it seems like you know and care about the game.

I like you're 3 "immediate" questions. The watchman one I see a lot of on the forums as well. Another question I'd like to put forward is, "Are there any plans to bring sentinels/marauders up to be more in line with gunslingers/snipers." Being as both sents/maras and slingers/snipers are pure dps classes, their dps should be closer to each other than they are. (I'm looking at torparse.com and the thread in the forums for the dps leaderboard for 2.0). I don't think BW needs to take their infamous Nerf Bat to the class and I understand that a lot of their dps comes from AoE's, but Ops dummy parses still have them ahead of sents/maras on single target.

Hopefully I'm not coming across as, "I'm not leet anymore, make me leet again", I really like where slingers/snipers are. It would just be nice to our numbers were about equal.
Kaypin--Sentinel*Kädence--Guardian*Raeker--Vanguard*Marszi--Commando*Bönnie--Scoundrel*Clyide--Gunslinger*Semid--Sage*Caralie--Shadow
Tahmin--Maruader*Mëlissandre--Juggernaut*Kassame--Powertech*Traub--Mercenary*Lumnes--Operative*Scäre'cröw--Sniper*Böse'herr--Sorcerer*Zörah--Assassin

KeyboardNinja
07.29.2013 , 04:59 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenkaiser View Post
First off, congrats on the nomination. I've read some of your posts and it seems like you know and care about the game.

I like you're 3 "immediate" questions. The watchman one I see a lot of on the forums as well. Another question I'd like to put forward is, "Are there any plans to bring sentinels/marauders up to be more in line with gunslingers/snipers." Being as both sents/maras and slingers/snipers are pure dps classes, their dps should be closer to each other than they are. (I'm looking at torparse.com and the thread in the forums for the dps leaderboard for 2.0). I don't think BW needs to take their infamous Nerf Bat to the class and I understand that a lot of their dps comes from AoE's, but Ops dummy parses still have them ahead of sents/maras on single target.

Hopefully I'm not coming across as, "I'm not leet anymore, make me leet again", I really like where slingers/snipers are. It would just be nice to our numbers were about equal.
Things look pretty close to me. Sentinels/Marauders can do about 3.15k on the high end, which is right in line with what Gunslingers/Snipers can do (at least within a few percentage points, given that Gunslingers/Snipers can inflate their numbers with an end-parse burnout). I don't count Sabo/Engineering as a real spec since it requires some *very* specific circumstances to achieve its maximum (obscenely high) DPS.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

Valzanik
07.29.2013 , 05:00 PM | #13
I dont know if you are able to mention this but dual saber throw should have a unique affect for each talent tree and it should have baseline for generating 2 focus/rage. I am mainly coming from a pvp prospective where watchman isnt taken in ranked at all and combat isn't needed nearly as much as it was in pre 2.0. Would like to see some changes where its not optimal to take x2 smash monkeys for every ranked comp
W'râth
<Matchless>
We are Matchless

Elear
07.29.2013 , 05:51 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
  • RNG issues in Combat/Carnage
This is primary thng where I would like to see some explanations, so glad to see it on the list.

• Watchman/Annihilation viability in PvP due to ramp up time and low burst
  • Focus/Rage viability in single-target PvE fights due to low sustained DPS (~9% behind on dummy parses)
While Watchman makes for perfect pvp question to meet quota, I feel same thing is also issue for few PvE fights with heavy downtime and also requiring burst(Operator IX comes to mind). This also touches issue of Focus a bit, as in "are specs supposed to be so specialized as to fall behind other ones on fights not friendly to their mechanics". Maybe it's by design, maybe by accident, wouldn't mind to hear answer to that from Devs.

• Focus/Rage cannot benefit from Inspiration/Bloodthirst due to Centering/Fury stack inhibition
This also means Focus Sentinels are bound to lose out on focus or Centering when using Zen at above 0 Focus, as spending focus during time Zen is generating it does not give Centering due to same rule as one interrfering with Inspiration. I'm not sure how big difference it makes to player playing Focus to it's full extent, but assuming such player does wait for Centering stacks, changing it to generate centering for Focus players when under effects of Zen/Inspiration could help with DPS in PvE, while not affecting it too much in PvP as there Centering generation is increased by getting attacked and focus generations by Leaps,
I also have strange feeling after playing Jugg for a while that their version of Focus/Rage is bit more reliable in PvP due to ability to use empowered Sweep/Spash directly after leap, almost always directly after leaving spawn, but I also have strong dislike to comparing utility of single abilities between two classes, si I'll leave it at it

Quote: Originally Posted by akabane_k View Post
The first is that the icd of the proc is long than the cd of gore.
(...) Realistically, this means that you must use gore as soon as it comes off cd, or the previous gore buff runs out.

Also, Gore is a buff whose effectiveness depends on the other abilities that have cds(fs,ravage,berserk).
Agreed here, as those two are also my primary two issues to dislike RNG dependant Combat. Inner CD of proc refreshing CD being longer than natural CD means that you have to use it moment it procs, or risk making whole flow of combat a mess. On top of that, ability that you have to use is buff, so it requires you to be able to fully take advantage of it at any moment it can proc for maximum effect. And again, on top of all that, it can only proc randomy of another random proc or of BR forcing Ataru(still at 45% chance). Prepearing for burst phase I consider fine. Losing one Prceision due to it proccing on bad skill like Leap, initial Zealous Strike(especially in pvp) or Double Saber Throw when outside melee range, is not good. And waiting for 3 or 6 or 9 seconds at 'prepeared to burst' state for proc that just does not want to come is simply frustrating.

WhiteOsprey
07.29.2013 , 07:04 PM | #15
First let me say grats on the nomination. I'd like to throw my vote in for a question about the watchmen merciless buff and how it works in both pvp and certain boss fight encounters ( titan 6 for example ). I've played around with combat a bit but just don't enjoy it as much as watchmen. Now this may be a skill issue, but for me it would be nice if instead of losing all stacks of merciless maybe they drop off one at a time so we don't have to go through the entire ramp up whenever there is a short down time in a fight . Don't know if that makes sense or if its feasible but a general question about this issue would be appreciated.
Bau'er The Revanchist: Sniper Shoryn: Concealment Op
Gannikus: Anni Marauder RIP (launch-3.0)
<Knights of the Damned> JC

CJNJ
07.29.2013 , 07:46 PM | #16
I get what u saying about focus/rage specs, but I think that really is just a design thing they did for all the AOE specs. Focus for both sent and guardian, Sab gunslinger, and tactics vanguard pretty much have been behind their fellow specs since launch. True, Sab is abit gimmicky now with roll, but the others don't really have that. If focus does get address I'd hope they talk about their philosophy on the other AOE specs

Gudarzz
07.29.2013 , 07:48 PM | #17
Hello everyone, I wanted to congratulate KBN on his win. Together, I think we can come up with some great ideas. As the marauder representative, I just wanted to link the mirror discussion. Keep the ideas coming!
Marauder class representative
World first to /gquit <Hey im mvp>

DarkDisturbed
07.29.2013 , 10:36 PM | #18
Sounds great, but I'd ask that you change your first Watchman question to incorporate it's lackluster PvE performance in all fights with any sort of downtime, perhaps change it to address the juyo/merciless stack problem completely.

JediMasterSLC
07.29.2013 , 10:43 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TheCourier- View Post
I used watchman for ranked PVP back in patch 1.3. It was definitely viable back then. The dots actually tick very strong. The dots aren't the problem. TBH, almost no medics on Pot5 cleanse dots. Cleansing dots is usually a waste of time, since a heal could be being channeled instead, and watchman's dots reapply super fast.
Same here. The spec certainly isn't inherently ill-designed for PvP as some claim, it just needs some attention.

Dawginole
07.29.2013 , 11:23 PM | #20
I would like to hear when they are going to address alacrity for Sentinels and how they envision it working when it is finally working as intended.
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.