Lightsaber Shoto off-hand

Shorter weapon used for parrying is quite handy. Real world dual wielding usually involved a dagger in the left hand.

Parrying is not exactly a priority for a Sentinel... That would be for a Guardian and we all know they're single hilt based, since their other hand is busy with the Shield Generator.

What about as an alternative to the off-hand, then? It may not provide as much damage (if any), but would allow other force-using classes to dual wield. Although for saberstaff wielders, it would likely need to be restricted so they can only use it when wielding a regular lightsaber.

Shorter weapon used for parrying is quite handy. Real world dual wielding usually involved a dagger in the left hand.

Real-world swords are heavy. Judging by the way Luke moved the light saber Kenobi handed him in IV, light sabers are nothing in terms of weight and wieldiness.

Real-world swords are heavy. Judging by the way Luke moved the light saber Kenobi handed him in IV, light sabers are nothing in terms of weight and wieldiness.

I always figured the only weight of a light saber is the hilt, I'm not sure if the laser/beam part actually adds any weight.

My initial thought would be to say the "light" part is weightless, like a RL laser beam - but then again it can block and such, which lasers can't really do. :p

Ahsoka used one, which means it's canon. So you can't object that it wouldn't be "Star Wars".

Not objecting that it wouldn't be canon, I object because I think they look ridiculous.

They were also present in KotOR 2.

Yeah, and I despised them there too.

Sorry I just think they look dumb, (unless you are playing Yoda species) and I would rather dual wield with 2 normal length sabers.

But in all fairness if they did make them I wouldn't use them, so it's not an issue.

I always figured the only weight of a light saber is the hilt, I'm not sure if the laser/beam part actually adds any weight

I know right?? Which is where I think George was wrong. He said in a documentary somewhere that they would be extremely heavy with all the energy coming from the hilt and told the actors to act as such..I think he eventually changed his mind on that because that as it just goes against what you would normally think.

Edited by QuiDonJorn

• 6 months later...
I believe a Shoto was in KOTOR or KOTOR 2 if I am not mistaken. The only downside *could* be that new script would need to be made for the weapon w/ all the stats because it functions similar to a lightsaber but *faster* reaction time because of its size.

I believe a Shoto was in KOTOR or KOTOR 2 if I am not mistaken. The only downside *could* be that new script would need to be made for the weapon w/ all the stats because it functions similar to a lightsaber but *faster* reaction time because of its size.

not needed at all. Gree and one of the C.M. sabers are longer than normal. its pure visual effects.

• 8 months later...

Shoto as a cartel market item makes sense to me and I support it:

* orange/custom

* same stats as other lightsabers

* difference is purely visual -- beam shorter than normal, maybe narrower too

* both main and off-hand

To the people who think it looks ridiculous: you don't have to use it. There are body type 1 female characters who would look great with it in main hand. There are sentinels/marauders who want normal main and shoto off-hand.

There already are other sabers with different beams: volatile, gree, etc. Shorter beam of shoto is the continuation of the same beam tweaking approach.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...