Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are updates so LARGE

Dekkau
07.26.2013 , 07:57 AM | #1
I dread logging into this game cus if I have left it a week or so I have to sit like forever while the game updates. I am truly now bored again waiting and as soon as its done I'll be off to play my normal game. Thing is in the updates I have seen, nothing, but nothing has affected my game. It all seems really pointless. Added to the fact this game takes like forever to load and god forbid I go from one place to the next. The game seems to have to rewrite itself each time I play. I am not going to quote any of the other popular MMOs that I play but seriously it is only this game that has these annoying incredibly large downloads and game starting loading periods.

Just my thoughts, as a few moments ago I was kinds in the mood to play but having waited like half my afternoon off to just update the game I really can't be bothered. Sorry for that.

OwenBrooks
07.26.2013 , 08:04 AM | #2
Apology Accepted

Least its not like when I first played city of heroes on my 56k modem, now that was a time to dread patches

Superman_AZ
07.26.2013 , 08:05 AM | #3

I just start the download, and then go get into some comfy clothes, make a sammich and pour a glass of sweet tea, let the dogs out into the back yard, and BAM, download complete. Then while zoning in, I let the dogs back in.

There are tons of things you can do to kill time til a download completes. Find one you like, and do it
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Terro_Fett
07.26.2013 , 08:12 AM | #4
^^^ Pretty much this.

Patch while I'm at work. On my days off, patch while im making coffee/having a shower/taking the dogs out.

Really, patching is like 10 minutes for most people. Even one of my guildies who has a craptacular computer and horrible internet can easily find something to do during his 30 minute patch.

Of all the things people complain about, while most can be justified one way or another, this one really boggles my mind.
Deloth Vyrr - Progression Raid Leader
R E I G N
Sith Empire

Aries_cz
07.26.2013 , 09:29 AM | #5
Most x.y.z patches (for example 2.2.3) are small. Big patches x.y.0 (2.2.0) are larger, because they bring new graphics, new zones, new items, etc.
Most people patch in under 10 minutes, unless they return after a 3 month absence, during which stuff accumulates.
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos

Pagy
07.26.2013 , 09:52 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Dekkau View Post
I dread logging into this game cus if I have left it a week or so I have to sit like forever while the game updates. I am truly now bored again waiting and as soon as its done I'll be off to play my normal game. Thing is in the updates I have seen, nothing, but nothing has affected my game. It all seems really pointless. Added to the fact this game takes like forever to load and god forbid I go from one place to the next. The game seems to have to rewrite itself each time I play. I am not going to quote any of the other popular MMOs that I play but seriously it is only this game that has these annoying incredibly large downloads and game starting loading periods.

Just my thoughts, as a few moments ago I was kinds in the mood to play but having waited like half my afternoon off to just update the game I really can't be bothered. Sorry for that.
my game updates in seconds

get a better connection

leene
07.26.2013 , 10:00 AM | #7
Hm, for me, the updates that really take a while are the big ones like 2.1, 2.2 etc; those may take up to 30mins but I can't remember a single download to have lasted longer than that. The (almost) weekly ones take maybe 10 minutes, if that. A good time to watch the news to get more incentive to escape the real world for a while afterwards :P

Superman_AZ
07.26.2013 , 10:04 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
Most people patch in under 10 minutes, unless they return after a 3 month absence, during which stuff accumulates.

That was my longest wait. When I came back after a year. There was 45 mins of patching and updating, but that included my purchase of RotHC. I know things take time which is why I have other distractions like Netflix, dogs, Motorola tablet, etc OP needs to get a "maintenance" routine, so when patches take time, or servers are down, he has something better to do.
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Dfrac
07.26.2013 , 10:15 AM | #9
My guess is that they don't do deltas.

Sith-Viscera
07.26.2013 , 10:22 AM | #10
Dude you're living in the age of high speed internet it shouldn't take but a few minutes to download an update, if it is taken a long time, i must ask? WHAT THE HELL R U ON A 56k DIALUP MODEM?