Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Question about lag / net / server?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Question about lag / net / server?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Xiratalya
07.25.2013 , 10:13 AM | #1
Hi,

I have a question as I'm a bit confused about lag. I have found it next to impossible to play the game for the last few days (constant disconnections, can barely walk a few inches without freezing/lagging, everytime I try to kill something, or get anywhere near another player, I cannot move or anything). I've been disconnected more than once, and often get error message that my characters cannot be found on the server (progenitor).

Now the latency thing on screen tends to show a full four bars, and I have found even when my net is running fast (did a ping and got very low ping and jitter result) I can't seem to play the game at all.

This is very confusing (and highly frustrating) and I'm at a complete loss as to how I can play again. My net connection is wired as this has happened in the past and I thought it may be because I was on wireless.

Any help / advice appreciated - in detail, as I am not very good with anything technical. Is there any sort of info I can provide to help find out the root of the problem?

Thankyou

Beesodd
07.25.2013 , 10:18 AM | #2 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi Xiratalya,

There's a few steps you can take to check for local client-based issues.

First, please clear the game's cache. Navigate to the main game folder, then the swtor folder, then delete the DiskCacheArena file.

Once this step is taken, please try a repair of the client. You can do this by logging into the launcher, and clicking the cog icon rather than Play. You will then find a repair option. Let this run, and check if the issue persists after a restart.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

JustARandomGuy
07.25.2013 , 10:21 AM | #3
Hello,

A couple of quick and easy things to try/confirm you've done already:

Are all the ports open on your router/modem?
Are the launcher.exe and swtor.exe files allowed access to the internet through your firewall and anti-virus?
Can you post your pathping and traceroute logs? A dxdiag log would be handy as well.

what other steps have you tried? Have you flushed your DNS? How does your ISP work? Do they throttle the bandwidth you can get a peak times?

Hope this helps!

‘Little minds are tamed and subdued by misfortune, but greater minds rise above them’
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Xiratalya
07.25.2013 , 10:22 AM | #4
Ok, I shall try this and get back to you, thank you

Xiratalya
07.25.2013 , 10:24 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JustARandomGuy View Post
Hello,

A couple of quick and easy things to try/confirm you've done already:

Are all the ports open on your router/modem?
Are the launcher.exe and swtor.exe files allowed access to the internet through your firewall and anti-virus?
Can you post your pathping and traceroute logs? A dxdiag log would be handy as well.

what other steps have you tried? Have you flushed your DNS? How does your ISP work? Do they throttle the bandwidth you can get a peak times?

Hope this helps!

Hey, thank you for suggestions, I have no clue how to do / check any of those things but it was working perfectly last week... so I assume ports still open and files allowed access etc. I shall try the first suggestions then come back here lol... if you could tell me how to post pathping / traceroute I can do that when I get back

JustARandomGuy
07.25.2013 , 10:36 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Xiratalya View Post
Hey, thank you for suggestions, I have no clue how to do / check any of those things but it was working perfectly last week... so I assume ports still open and files allowed access etc. I shall try the first suggestions then come back here lol... if you could tell me how to post pathping / traceroute I can do that when I get back
Hello again,

I'd still check the ports and what have you-patches can sometimes confuse your A/V and firewall if the files in the exception list change, so it's best to make sure that those have been re-added. I don't know what A/V your using, but the help files should be able to tell you how to set up exceptions. The ports can be changed from your routers home screen, but if you're not sure how to do this, then you may be better off contacting your ISP/router manufacture on how to ensure the correct ports are open.

As for doing the pathping and traceroute, it's a bit of a complicated process if your not too sure on how computers work. The following link is from the FAQ's on the site, they should help:

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/5260

Sorry I don't have time to go over it with you, but I'm awaiting a train that's due any minute! I hope you manage to get this sorted!

‘Little minds are tamed and subdued by misfortune, but greater minds rise above them’
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Xiratalya
07.25.2013 , 11:16 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JustARandomGuy View Post
Hello again,

I'd still check the ports and what have you-patches can sometimes confuse your A/V and firewall if the files in the exception list change, so it's best to make sure that those have been re-added. I don't know what A/V your using, but the help files should be able to tell you how to set up exceptions. The ports can be changed from your routers home screen, but if you're not sure how to do this, then you may be better off contacting your ISP/router manufacture on how to ensure the correct ports are open.

As for doing the pathping and traceroute, it's a bit of a complicated process if your not too sure on how computers work. The following link is from the FAQ's on the site, they should help:

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/5260

Sorry I don't have time to go over it with you, but I'm awaiting a train that's due any minute! I hope you manage to get this sorted!

Thank you for advice, hope you don't miss your train

I can not even get to the character selection screen (although it took me over an hour earlier on today when I thought I would see if I could game properly yet).

Pathping:
Spoiler

Traceroute:

I can't find how to make this?!

DxDiag:

Spoiler

ufarax
07.25.2013 , 11:34 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Hi Xiratalya,

There's a few steps you can take to check for local client-based issues.

First, please clear the game's cache. Navigate to the main game folder, then the swtor folder, then delete the DiskCacheArena file.

Once this step is taken, please try a repair of the client. You can do this by logging into the launcher, and clicking the cog icon rather than Play. You will then find a repair option. Let this run, and check if the issue persists after a restart.
After every major update...super lag. It's not your ISP, it's BIOWARE. I'm still waiting for the " Lag free cartel pack"

Xiratalya
07.25.2013 , 11:45 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ufarax View Post
After every major update...super lag. It's not your ISP, it's BIOWARE. I'm still waiting for the " Lag free cartel pack"
Pmsl, I would happily buy that cartel pack!

suggy
07.25.2013 , 02:39 PM | #10
Traceroute = Tracert 159.153.72.252