EA Q1 2014: SWTOR Income Growth

DarkDisturbed

EA released their Q1 2014 report today and SWTOR saw a rise over 3 months ago and more growth than the last year (since q1 2013 aka may-aug 2012)

First, extra content and free-to-play contributed $177 million, up 35% over the prior year, led

by sustained growth in FIFA Ultimate Team, as well as Star Wars: The Old Republic, and

FIFA Online 3. This revenue relates to businesses on PC or consoles, where consumers

can enhance or extend their gaming experience by buying additional digital content.

In the previous year, Star Wars: The Old

Republic was a subscription-only based MMO. This year, some of the revenue was

recognized in the free-to-play category as we expanded this title to be both a subscription

and free-to-play game. If you were to combine all of our extra content free-to-play with

subscription, ads, and other, we still saw more than 10% growth over the same period last

year.

Congratulations to the Bioware team for stabilizing and now growing the game's population and income, it's a good sign.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too give them kudos. All they did was re-pallet items and release basic features like a barber shop on the cartel market.

and they sold. Same thing Nintendo does with Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Activision does with Call of Duty, Ubisoft with Assassin's Creed, etc I have no qualms with them selling recolored/slightly changed items, it's what people will buy. I didn't like the barber shop, should have a credit option, though.

And all they hand to do is sell items and goodies in and online store which are riddled with bugs and clipping errors.

Maybe one day years from now, there will be a Calo Nord set without bugs. But today is not that day. :(

Your auto-correct is broken.

Heh.. so much for the doomsday predicting gerbils that were pedaling the "they won't even mention SWTOR in the next EA earnings announcement" in the forums a few weeks back.

The prophets were wrong again. :D

Not related to SWTOR directly.. but I had raised eyebrows at EA taking FIFA Online 3 to China through a deal with Tencent. They did it earlier in Korea, and liked the results. Very interesting. This could be the start of a growing online business in China with that agreement with Tencent

Edited by Andryah

10% Growth no matter how you slice it is pretty dam good.

I just hope that my and other people's Cartel money spent will be reinvested into some content,there has to be some percentage unless the round table at the top want an extra boat or 5% rise in stock.

Congratulations to BioWare and EA. I am glad they have this game growing and new players trying it out every single day. The game is going very good right now and overall people seem happy. :)

Keep looking to the future for it is a bright one. If they keep going the way they are in this game, it will keep being a success and bringing income to them. Good job BioWare/EA! You deserve it for making a great game. :)

Cash shops and micro-trans are here to stay. LoL does it, Facebook games do it, WoW does it, even SWG did it through the digital TCG in the twilight is its existence. The business model for online gaming is changing.

That said, I do wish BW/ EA would use more of that cash to invest in broadening the in-game experience with more sandbox elements (maybe even a whole sandbox planet).

Ok, I did go EA site, and I checked the file labelled ''ELECTRONIC ARTS REPORTS

Q1 FY14 FINANCIAL RESULTS''. It is, indeed, a summary.

However, you can't help but notice that in this summary, they are NOT mentioning TOR...but AAA games like the Simpsons Tapped Out.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2598921469x0x678580/2600fa12-f5b6-48ce-90a5-bfa2feedb562/Q1FY14_Earnings_Release_w_press_tables_FINAL.pdf

Edited by Angedechu

Given all the cartel stuff I've seen in game (post purchase), a 10 percent buff in revenue seems a little bit low... Guess the bulk of purchases must be from subs using their complimentary coins each month...

Errr.. Yay go subs!!!

If I was bioware, I'd stop whaling now and go for the masses.

Either that or subs dropped tangibly post f2p (because they could) to offset the revenue gains from gamblers and unlocks. Guess well never know.

Given all the cartel stuff I've seen in game (post purchase), a 10 percent buff in revenue seems a little bit low... Guess the bulk of purchases must be from subs using their complimentary coins each month...

Errr.. Yay go subs!!!

If I was bioware, I'd stop whaling now and go for the masses.

Either that or subs dropped tangibly post f2p (because they could) to offset the revenue gains from gamblers and unlocks. Guess well never know.

This is revenue, not cartel coins spent. I.e. complimentary doesn't count.

10% more growth than last year, but we've seen growth and financial gains for the past two quarters. For a game that was quickly plunging after launch, that is pretty great.

Edited by DarkDisturbed

Remember we are comparing April-June of 2012 to April to June of 2013. Back in April t 2012 the game was only out 3 month, and the game still had close to a million subs/ If April to June of 2013 is a 10% growth over that, then that's really impressive.

Remember we are comparing April-June of 2012 to April to June of 2013. Back in April t 2012 the game was only out 3 month, and the game still had close to a million subs/ If April to June of 2013 is a 10% growth over that, then that's really impressive.

That's a good point.

Though hang on.. Reading the op's quote, the statement is saying 10% growth over the last periods growth. The baseline of what that is is not mentioned... So the actual growth in revenue (which could be anything really.. From much positive to less negative) we don't have the details for it seems. Yeah that's how financial disclosure works :)

Took a quick look at the PDF that was a later linked, and it doesn't mention tor at all.

Edited by stockmks

Actually.. Look at all the boasting about their online games...

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130723006494/en/Electronic-Arts-Reports-Q1-FY14-Financial-Results

I think tor is far from dead, the future looks great for me as a player, but it also seems its not worth ea writing home and telling mom about.

In the back of my mind I always imagined that they were making decent amounts from f2p... Factoring in what I've paid, how that's come about, and I must not be the only one. Not enough for ea then :)

You forgot to mention -

"All content, subscription and free-to-play on SWTOR was up over last year, and the subscription based business was down 25% as more switched to free-to-play."

So despite everything, subs are still falling. After their previous post, puts the numbers at a lowly 350-375k.

Free trials and the 'free' to play is clearly not attracting people. Frankly, they should either reduce the fee to £4.99 a month to attract more, or just turn everything free to play and use the cartel market to drive revenue. A world with both wont work.

You forgot to mention -

"All content, subscription and free-to-play on SWTOR was up over last year, and the subscription based business was down 25% as more switched to free-to-play."

So despite everything, subs are still falling. After their previous post, puts the numbers at a lowly 350-375k.

Free trials and the 'free' to play is clearly not attracting people. Frankly, they should either reduce the fee to £4.99 a month to attract more, or just turn everything free to play and use the cartel market to drive revenue. A world with both wont work.

Ahh so that's it. It could also be that some form of non sub status is actually not that bad...

I think lowering the sub might not be in biowares best interest... But tangibly rather than via dumb promise increase the value for subs. As it stands now, the strongest way to do that would be to increase the amount of complimentary cartel coins to be more inline with their direct cost. To seal the deal I'd just make it so you get $15 worth of credits.. Or somewhere above the current $10 amount and consider the change for the punishment removal.

Sigh but that would make too much sense from the CUSTOMERS view wouldn't it?

Edited by stockmks