Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is there a point of having PVP on PVE servers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Is there a point of having PVP on PVE servers

midianlord
08.05.2013 , 07:55 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Scindus View Post
I swear by all that is mystical in the force.... I'm going to projectile vomit blood the next time I see someone whining about this...

-Again- For the extremely cheap seats, and with added specifics this time round...

1.) Another player killing you does not cause your head to explode or your eyes to melt irl... nor does it cause your character to fragment into scattered pixels and blow away with the wind... you lose... *drum roll* Absolutely nothing material whatsoever when you die to another player. The only thing it *does* cost is 1.) Approximately 2-3min time to rez and return to the place you were ( In the Gree Event Area ) and 2.) Possibly some pride. That is it. That is the extent of the 'OH MY GOD, I got killed in pvpv just doing my event thang in the event area, now my world is crumbling, I can't take it, the stress and strain of that pvp death has caused me to need a prescription for Xanax and Valium and I'm looking into the cost of therapy sessions!!!!!!!???? WHY!!! Why must I suffer such unspeakable acts of barbarism and cruelty at the hands of fellow players!!!!" (Sadly not that far from an actual accurate portrayal)
If your avoiding the pvp area, and the pvp missions, and someone goes out of there way to flag you so they can kill you, here is a couple protips for you. Throwing a tantrum, QQing, and whining into general chat about how they just killed you for no reason and blah blah, etc etc ( see above..) is literally only going to *encourage* the actual gankers to continue to go out of the way to try and get you flagged, so they can kill you again... and then laugh as you QQ more. Now, I don't condone this behavior, nor do I partake in it myself, but plenty do. Simple solution - Dont give a crap. Thats right, and amusingly, its really not that difficult....
Someone goes out of there way to get you flagged while your doing your pve thang in the pve zone, and then kills you.... and you... *drum roll* Res, deflag, and go back to what you were doing. Without giving a flip about it. Without you providing the QQ fuel for there amusement tank, they will very likely not bother with you again and continue on looking for someone they can get to throw a fit.
And finally.... IF, someone is actually harassing you, by following you around everywhere and attempting to cause you to flag so that they can kill you, over and over. Change instances, if that doesn't work. Report them for it, and then either switch to another char for a while, or just hang out at the base doing some crew missions, sorting your stuff, looking over your legacy and achievements, etc etc until you kill them with boredom and they move on. That is an extreme situation though, and one I have *never* personally seen happen in this game yet.

2.) To truly put the final freaking nail into the coffin of this whole "I'm totallly forced to do pvp even though I'm on a pve server, and QQ I dun wanna, but they ma***keeee meeeee because of the Rep items for the event, QQ QQ, woe is me, its so unfair, cruel and unusual treatment to my tender lil heartmeats!!" .......
This is absolutely the most pathetic bs attempt to whine about something because you want it but don't want to do what is required to get it. -Period-
And the truly funny thing is. You do NOT need it. At all. And I shall prove it.
This current Gree event was the first one I have actually been able to participate in, all the previous times it went active since I have been playing, *something* managed to come up IRL and cause me to miss it. And when I mean miss it, I mean, I wasn't even able to be online from start to finish of it. The start of this current one was the first time I set foot into that part of Ilum. I had 0, Zero, Zip, Zilch, in Gree Reputation.
I dove into it, but avoided the pvp missions because thats just not really my thing, due in part to the poor lappy I play on, but also because while I do like the choice to pvp when I feel like going at it, I am definitely more focused on pve aspects of the game.
So, having started the rep from 0 during the current active event, and without doing the pvp missions at all... I now have enough Rep tokens stored to go *beyond* Legend if that was actually possible. And that is with only 2 Alts, one of which I didn't get to 55 until second week of the event. And there was at least two days mixed along that I didn't do the dailies on one of the chars, just because I got sidetracked irl.

So... seriously people. Get a grip. Get over dying at the hands of another player, its no different than having a bad pull and dying to a bunch of mobs, except you don't have a repair bill from a pvp death...
Learn what being "forced" to do something really means....
And for siths sake.... *stop* making threads whining about how they should change the setup of pve servers, the event, or whatever, to suit your personal dramatic issues with pvp, when in reality - there is no real need for it at all.

I really, honestly and truly, hope this message has helped you to better understand the reality you share with the other people who play this game. Have fun, lighten up, and may the schwartz be with you.
The Schwartz: It is strong with ^^this^^ one.

Aside from a bit of format-editing (line-breaks are nothing to fear, after all), that post should be sticki'ed, IMO.
Proud "elitist." Even more proud to be an un-reconstructed "gaming-culture snob."
r/DPS 4 life
Spoiler

midianlord
08.05.2013 , 07:58 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Daynna View Post
Sure, as long as it denies you access to the pvp areas in this game, both of them. Which means no doing the pvp labeled quests during the gree event and no access to the vendor in outlaw's den for the HK part while toggled on. I'd also go so far as to put a long lockout timer on it, 12 hours at the minimum to prevent abuse, and I'm more of a pver than pvper.
^^Thisthisthsithisthis.^^
Proud "elitist." Even more proud to be an un-reconstructed "gaming-culture snob."
r/DPS 4 life
Spoiler

Elly_Dawn
08.05.2013 , 08:12 PM | #23
see that's the mindset of "PvP or Get Out" i'm talking about...
the whole point of disabling the flags on a PvE server is so we can do the quest missions without harassment... some of us chose the PvE server under the impression that we would not have PvP involved in any way, that we can do quests and Special Events without harassment, and i know the pompous arrogant reply of "well stay out then"... and that's not the point or solution, i proposed a solution that is fair to everyone...
would it really twist y'alls knickers so bad to see someone in a contested zone you can't target and attack?.. have we as a species devolved so far that our primary means of entertainment is harassing others and trying to strong-arm them into things they don't wanna do, or prevent them from enjoying themselves in a manner that disturbs no one, for our own amusement?..
i guess some people have it in their heads that if they can just get us that object to it to PvP, then we'd all like it then we'd all wanna join in on their fun, but i for one don't like PvP, and you can blame the PvP community for it, the griefers that like to harass others for their own twisted amusement, then have the gall to say "deal with it or get the frack out" (on a PvE server no less)... i guess there's no reasoning for those that don't want a fair system in place...
i know i may seem to be rambling as i try to make sense of this mentality, but i truly don't understand this viewpoint of "PvP or get the frack out" on a PvE server, i don't understand the hate geared towards those that don't want player conflict on a server designated as Co-Op... this whole thing is a Wookie living on Endor, it doesn't make any sense...
i rolled on a PvE server for one reason, a simple reason... PvE=Co-Op, PvP= Competitive, i wanted to play with others in peace, not against them... there's an appropriate server for PvP griefing behavior, and it's not the PvE servers...
if all the great fashion designers have gone over to the Darkside, then i will too...
Jedi Covenant: The Ashtear Legacy:

Elhaym - Shadow / Shinoa - Scoundrel
Dawnaria - Assassin / Adawn - Mercenary / D'jour - Operative

Dragonexadon
08.06.2013 , 01:35 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Elly_Dawn View Post
see that's the mindset of "PvP or Get Out" ...
Would you mind changing your font color. It could be just me but that color is very hard to read.

I never played on a PVE server. With that in mind my question to people who have : How did Ilum work on release? Meaning was it an open PVP world?

I have not played WoW in forever but this reminds me of the ARENA area in WOW. If you played on a PVE server you didn ot have to fear being ganked. If you stepped in the arena area then all bets are off. Ilum was designed to be an open world PVP area. When the first design of Ilum fell flat they decided to make the Gree quest as something to do in ilum instead. This does not take away the intention of Ilum being an open PVP world.

This I agree with the statement of "If you don't want to PVP don't go". The point of the world event is to encourage open world PVP as well as provide dailies and weeklys for rewards and gear.
FORCE EFFECT
|US-East || PVP Server || Casual Guild || End Game Operations & PVP
http://www.force-effect.net/

Daynna
08.07.2013 , 02:25 AM | #25
see that's the mindset of "PvP or Get Out" i'm talking about...
the whole point of disabling the flags on a PvE server is so we can do the quest missions without harassment... some of us chose the PvE server under the impression that we would not have PvP involved in any way, that we can do quests and Special Events without harassment, and i know the pompous arrogant reply of "well stay out then"... and that's not the point or solution, i proposed a solution that is fair to everyone...
would it really twist y'alls knickers so bad to see someone in a contested zone you can't target and attack?.. have we as a species devolved so far that our primary means of entertainment is harassing others and trying to strong-arm them into things they don't wanna do, or prevent them from enjoying themselves in a manner that disturbs no one, for our own amusement?..
i guess some people have it in their heads that if they can just get us that object to it to PvP, then we'd all like it then we'd all wanna join in on their fun, but i for one don't like PvP, and you can blame the PvP community for it, the griefers that like to harass others for their own twisted amusement, then have the gall to say "deal with it or get the frack out" (on a PvE server no less)... i guess there's no reasoning for those that don't want a fair system in place...
i know i may seem to be rambling as i try to make sense of this mentality, but i truly don't understand this viewpoint of "PvP or get the frack out" on a PvE server, i don't understand the hate geared towards those that don't want player conflict on a server designated as Co-Op... this whole thing is a Wookie living on Endor, it doesn't make any sense...
i rolled on a PvE server for one reason, a simple reason... PvE=Co-Op, PvP= Competitive, i wanted to play with others in peace, not against them... there's an appropriate server for PvP griefing behavior, and it's not the PvE servers...
It's not the mindset of "Pvp or get out", it's being against people wanting the rewards without having to deal with the risk involved. Why do you feel you just HAVE to do the quests that are clearly marked [PVP] during the gree event, if you don't want to PVP? They aren't needed for anything, and if it's for the rep items, log on an alt and run the PVE dailies again.

I personally have no problem with a toggle in the settings that makes it so you can't ever be flagged, outside of contested zones. If nothing else it would prevent people from getting flagged by using an AOE on some stealth person hiding in the mob.

At first, I wasn't at all happy about the HK part being in the Outlaw's Den, or that the +41 Advanced Yellow crystal schematics were on the pvp vendor. You know what, I did what I had to do, to get what I wanted, which meant going into the contested zones to do it. It didn't hurt, didn't lose any sleep or have any other negative side affects.

Sure, PvE servers mean PvP is optional except as in this case 2 areas that were designated by the devs as contested pvp zones. While you may think being told, "If you don't like pvp, stay out of the pvp areas" is being elitist it's really not. It's just common sense.

Elly_Dawn
08.07.2013 , 11:33 AM | #26
to be clear i've never done the Gree event, due to hearing it's set in a PvP zone thus denying me the event... my contestment of this is nothing to do with the event but the principles of the matter...
ever since i got griefed on my first MMORPG back when there weren't PvE/PvP servers, i've been against PvP, but back then if you got killed you dropped some of your loot or some of your hard worked for equipment, and in a small way i can see the motivation behind it even though i don't agree with it...
i don't see the motivation in griefing when there is no reward for miscreant behavior in place, i had hoped that with time the removal of the rewards for PKing would have put a curb on it, but instead it brought out the worst of them, the ones that do it for their own laughs, the ones that sit there and prevent you from completing your goal, the stalkers that will instance hop with you... when i say i blame the PvP community for my total burning hate for PvP i mean it very sincerely... and all the arguments of "well, get out if you don't like it" or "your tears feed me" on a PvE server don't help to change my stance or opinion of PvPers and PvP in general, to me PvP is the root of all hate and conflict in an MMO and should be completely eradicated for the benefit of the communities at large... i'm sorry if i seem hateful or spiteful towards the PvP community but i truly am, i hate PvP with every fiber of my being, and it all comes down to how PvPers treat people that just wanna play in peace...
so for me it's not the event but my principles...it's sad that a group of people with no respect for others can make someone hate a game they loved, it happened to me once on another game, i don't want it to happen with this game too...
sorry this was longer than i intended, i just wanted to say it wasn't about the event for me, then i started thinking of why i loath PvP, and thought it fair to share my point of view in hopes that maybe someone would understand where i'm coming from...
if all the great fashion designers have gone over to the Darkside, then i will too...
Jedi Covenant: The Ashtear Legacy:

Elhaym - Shadow / Shinoa - Scoundrel
Dawnaria - Assassin / Adawn - Mercenary / D'jour - Operative

Daynna
08.07.2013 , 06:13 PM | #27
to be clear i've never done the Gree event, due to hearing it's set in a PvP zone thus denying me the event... my contestment of this is nothing to do with the event but the principles of the matter...
ever since i got griefed on my first MMORPG back when there weren't PvE/PvP servers, i've been against PvP, but back then if you got killed you dropped some of your loot or some of your hard worked for equipment, and in a small way i can see the motivation behind it even though i don't agree with it...
i don't see the motivation in griefing when there is no reward for miscreant behavior in place, i had hoped that with time the removal of the rewards for PKing would have put a curb on it, but instead it brought out the worst of them, the ones that do it for their own laughs, the ones that sit there and prevent you from completing your goal, the stalkers that will instance hop with you... when i say i blame the PvP community for my total burning hate for PvP i mean it very sincerely... and all the arguments of "well, get out if you don't like it" or "your tears feed me" on a PvE server don't help to change my stance or opinion of PvPers and PvP in general, to me PvP is the root of all hate and conflict in an MMO and should be completely eradicated for the benefit of the communities at large... i'm sorry if i seem hateful or spiteful towards the PvP community but i truly am, i hate PvP with every fiber of my being, and it all comes down to how PvPers treat people that just wanna play in peace...
so for me it's not the event but my principles...it's sad that a group of people with no respect for others can make someone hate a game they loved, it happened to me once on another game, i don't want it to happen with this game too...
sorry this was longer than i intended, i just wanted to say it wasn't about the event for me, then i started thinking of why i loath PvP, and thought it fair to share my point of view in hopes that maybe someone would understand where i'm coming from...
Well, first I'm going to tell you that you were mislead about the gree event taking place in a pvp zone. There are only 2 quests out of 6 or 8 quests that take you into the zone and they are clearly labeled with [PVP] in the title. Second I can understand how you feel, but not every pvper is like that.

Minhere
08.08.2013 , 09:03 PM | #28
I use to think this way, actually. I would kick people out of my groups (on other games) if they declared themselves PvP'ers. I figured these were just idiotic people who were doing their best to compensate for their real life failures. For some, especially the griefers, that is true. However, that is not a true depiction of the PvP community as a whole. In fact, you will find some PvE'ers just as bad. Some PvP'ers with hearts of gold.
Some way or another I got involved with the PvP community on CoX. I think it was for special rewards like here. You know what? I began to enjoy it. I am nowhere near being a griefer. I would never join a game that only has PvP with no PvE option, either. While you are correct with it being sad that a group of people enjoy making others miserable, it is not PvP that creates these people, and believe me, there are PvE folks that try just as hard. You are focusing your dislike/loath on a group that is not the problem. It is individuals, usually loners, that are the weak minded ones that like to grief.
In the end, my enjoyment of PvP is not the kill. It's the "scary movie" feeling that someone with an actual mind can be stalking you and about to kill you. My advice, lose the worry over it. Go into a PvP zone, prepare yourself that you may actually be killed. Jason or Freddie may be around the corner (sadly in rl he probably has pimples and a runny nose), and just enjoy. Lose the pride. If your pixels are killed by someone elses pixels, it is not the end of the world. If you are being griefed and targetted by someone, then just leave the zone. Easy peasy, lemon squeezey. You may broaden your own horizons.

(Foot Note: I DO agree that on a PvE server there should not be ways for PvP'ers to force PvP on you)
(Foot Note to Foot Note: I have yet to PvP here, and may never PvP here, so my opinion is mainly of a PvE'er that doesn't hate PvP'ers)
"You must begin by gaining power over yourself; then another; then a group, an order, a world, a species, a group of species… finally, the galaxy itself."
—Darth Plagueis

PLynkes
08.09.2013 , 03:33 AM | #29
A PVE server doesn't mean "no PVP", it means that it is optional. No one should be forced to particpate in PVP if they don't want to, but it is a long way from that to this bizarre leap of unlogic that there should be no PVP on PVE servers at all.

All this fuss is about two tiny quests. Don't like PVP? Ignore those two quests. There is plenty to do in the Gree Event without ever having to worry about PVP. If people actually tried it before leaping to their keyboard to complain, they might know this.

There's always a lot of talk about people being "forced" to do things (quite why, I do not know, because nobody is being forced to do anything), yet these same people seem to be wanting to prevent people who enjoy the tiny little bit of PVP content in this event from doing so. You know, that sounds more like "forcing" a playstyle on people to me than anything that is happening under the current system.

Can't wait for the outcry from the crybabies when they find out that the "Primary Testing/Primary Studies" heroic is much easier when done in the PVP zone than the PVE version. The PVP versions of those nasty big black robots are made of cardboard doused in petrol.